Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:18 AM

113 posts, read 176,299 times

Advertisements

Frozen
Paranormal Activity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 06:13 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Hard to believe you compared the Saw movies to Jason movies. You need to figure so much stuff out to understand and follow Saw (even using clues from previous Saw movies to figure out later ones) unlike Friday the 13th. No, the Friday the 13th series pales in comparison.
Actually, after the third film, no one cared about the mysteries of the Saw franchise. I work for Blockbuster... Friday the 13ths rent better than Saw. And I don't blame them. I've yet to see a Saw I thought was decent or thought provoking.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:08 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Actually, after the third film, no one cared about the mysteries of the Saw franchise. I work for Blockbuster... Friday the 13ths rent better than Saw. And I don't blame them. I've yet to see a Saw I thought was decent or thought provoking.
You may be right...
As someone who jumped into the Saw series late...I watched the 5th edition a few nights ago...and must say...a lot has evolved in the plot since the first one I watched...where all you saw was that smiling mask...

I guess I should watch 2,3,4 to find out how the story line evolved...
I just doubt I could stomache the gore...

Old 03-17-2010, 03:35 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Rest Stop.

I never really used them before, but now I actually refuse to use one.

I also refuse to use port-a-johns because of that one scene in The Hills Have Eyes 2.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:53 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,273,694 times
I was disappointed with Paranormal Activity, but I must admit the best part of the whole flick was the last 3 minutes. IMO.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:03 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,328,741 times
Jacob's Ladder. If you want to see a movie that will genuinely freak you out and have you sleeping with the lights on, you can't go wrong with this great film. Starring Tim Robbins

Old 03-26-2010, 06:54 PM

Yes, I remember Jacobs ladder...but when I saw or viewed it...it was way over my head at the time...it was a thinking mans horror movie...and at the time...i was to young to want to think that hard to understand it....

On another note...
I'm watching (again) 'I am legend'...
You know, when you end up only having a few DVD's you end up watching them over and over...and it becomes like a game to find or discover things about the film you might have over looked the first time, like bullitain boards ect..

But one thing that amazes me about the opening scenes...is the void urban landscape....to me those scenes of tall vacant buildings and vegetation everywhere, is a thing of beauty...I find myself pausing the film just so I can meditate on those scenes....I find a landscape vacant and void of 'man'..to be quite peaceful....
And sometimes think I would rather take my chances with the Zombies, than with man...

I mean for real...the zombies, in that film, leave you alone during the day, unless you go into a dark abandoned building and stumble upon them...so the day is yours to enjoy...to be free...I find that wonderful..
Again...I think I could live a more serene peaceful life with the zombies than with man...all I'de have to worry about is food and water...and could sleep or make a home just about anywhere...even on a yacht...
I don't know why Wills character choose to live right at ground zero in the heart of zombie land...that was his choice...it would not have been mine...
Anyways...that's my take...

Old 03-26-2010, 08:25 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
First Saw was good. Saw II not as good. Saw III...milking the cash cow.
Every subsequent sequal: Dragging the dead horse.
At around 10 minutes into Saw III I officially wrote off the series. Haven't seen even a smidgeon of anything since. Stick a fork in it, it's done.
Well put. The first Saw was great. They should have left it at that. Second was acceptable. The rest, not worthy to share the original's name.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:29 AM

Default Rec 2

This was good...done in docu style...with first person cameras...and no background studio music...

the movie combines the best elements of..

1. Blair witch
2. Paranormal Activity
3. Dawn of the Dead (the original)
4. 28 days later...
5. The Excorcist...

Yes...some how Rec 2 combines the most effective elements of the above movies, and actually makes it work....

Even though the film is dubed in English sub titles, after about 3 minutes you subconsciousy forget that it is...a credit to good acting, or lack of...

Emotions and scary situations are just universal...and so your mind just kind of plays it out as if you were there...the english sub lines just kind of help feel in details....

Horror movies don't effect me quite like they use to, but say had I seen this film5-10 years ago...it would be way up there in the scare factor...

It's a current movie and can be rented at Red Box for $1.00...definatly worth it...for sure...
Attached Thumbnails
Decent horror movies?-capturehh.jpg  

Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
Jacob's Ladder. If you want to see a movie that will genuinely freak you out and have you sleeping with the lights on, you can't go wrong with this great film. Starring Tim Robbins
You are so right on that! This movie is also a bona fide mind-screw. I suspect the viewer isn't supposed to ever have it completely figured out. It's one of those movies with several possible interpretations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies