Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 11:29 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,276,671 times

Advertisements

Clear History....pretty damn good.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-11-2013, 06:04 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,768,343 times
The Heat. Was thinking Sandra was reprising her role from Miss Congeniality, but no. Instead she's an unlikable know it all FBI agent. It was kinda funny. Comedy classic? Not in a million years. But a decent watch

Old 08-11-2013, 10:30 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,476,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I remember watching that as a child. Must have come on tv a lot and both my parents loved it!
I watched it for myself as an adult and must say I really enjoyed it too.
It was one of my favorites too. I watched it as a kid too, it was a movie that used to leave me wound up in a ball of tears. I just don't even try to watch it anymore I just can't stand feeling the way it makes me feel.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:44 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,476,160 times
Elysium, I enjoyed it, had some weak spots, but still pretty good movie over all! Matt Damon is such a fantastic actor, I pretty much enjoy watching him in most any thing. Jodi Foster's performance left much to be desired, she was too over the top, same for Sharlto Copley's performance, not a very interesting or convincing performance. The other lessor known actors performed better to hold the story together which helped make it more enjoyable to watch. I do think the movie needed to be a bit longer to give it more depth. Still of all the action summer movies I've seen so far, this one I enjoyed most.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:13 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,356,836 times
We saw Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine yesterday & were not prepared for how utterly depressing a film it is. Since the reviews were great, there are Oscar rumors surrounding Cate Blanchett & critics have said it's Allen's best in years, I assumed it would be another Annie Hall. Even the previews managed to pull out the only few comedy relief lines in the film. What an unfortunate surprise.

Much of the movie is filmed in San Francisco in grimy, cramped quarters, giving it a claustrophobic feel... the film's point, but uncomfortable nonetheless. Storyline was very interesting... basically, an uber-wealthy family's fall from grace. It would have been grand with a comic bent on it & I wished that more of the family life was explored, rather than just through flash backs.

Characters are the normal Woody fare... self-centered, vacant, obsessive, shallow people & I truly believe he despises all women & thinks most men are dolts. If either are poor or suffering hardship in some way, they are so only by their own careless choices or because they're idiotic. If women in particular, happen to be wealthy, they're only so via a man's coattails & trophy-wife status. He must have an amazing circle of friends. He also gives foreign actresses, like Aussie's Cate & Judy Davis, from several of his other films, very uptight, harsh, overly-pronounced American accents & has them speak an octave lower than their normal speaking voices. Sure I've heard those types of voices before, but only on the odd-bird few. I think it's his way to make the women unlikeable, unfeminine, unforgiving & to trivialize them, showing they're really not part of any ordinary world, but a world of superior wealth & excess, of course, taken for granted because they're too vacant of soul to appreciate anything. I hope Soon Yi knows what she's gotten herself into... the angry little man must be a bleedin' utter joy to endure at home.

I like the majority of Woody's films & the absurdity of the characters & their circumstances. Some of his mid-career movies were akin to screwball comedies of eras gone by. But, since the Mia Farrow debacle, he seems to be possessed by an amazing inner-rage & purges it onto film.

Cate's character didn't invite much sympathy as she was so over-the-top arrogant, the reason for which is revealed somewhat towards the end. The ending is a surprise, but as with the rest of the movie, depressingly so. If it weren't for the comic relief of the actress who plays her sister & her boyfriend, Chili, we probably would have left 1/2-way through. As it was, we left the movie & were so deflated, we drove home in stunned silence & called off the rest of the day to have dinner in the sunshine on the balcony... & tried not to jump from it.

Still in all, it was a good movie, but a morbid commentary on human beings & life, I feel. If one should venture out to see it, be prepared that it is Ingmar Bergman dark, a bit mean spirited & I sometimes worry about Woody's hostile hatred of human life. He's not filled with dark humor... his view is more a shrill, sarcastic, morose take with a biting joke on the end. I worry about that miniscule, once very funny man.

2.75* out of 5. If I had known the tenure before venturing into the theatre, I'd probably have given it 3.5*.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:21 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,625,117 times
Last night was a film noir night so in went 'Murder My Sweet'. Great witty 'Chandleresque' dialogue with some beautiful b&w photography creatively done. As usual with some film noirs, they don't make'em like this anymore!!!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:20 PM

43,731 posts, read 44,495,603 times
The Way Way Back (2013) - IMDb

Old 08-12-2013, 09:08 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,178,930 times
I recently saw Aki Kaurismaki's 'Le Havre'. It's a wonderful film about basic human decency, camaraderie, and the arbitrariness of things like national identity.

Five stars out of five.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:33 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,874,056 times
I last watched the movie MOVING - 1988

Good movie indeed!

Old 08-13-2013, 05:57 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,422,443 times
KING KONG ESCAPES

Just bad enough to be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies