Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 09:09 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,979,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
It was decent. Then again I like pretty much all Sci-fi type movies.
My thing was, it was very ambitious, but the characters were just so flat and the storyline was just so slow-developing that I didn't care.

To be fair, I was running on four hours of sleep when I saw that movie in the theatre. Probably not the best movie to watch when you're dog tired, lol.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,277,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
My thing was, it was very ambitious, but the characters were just so flat and the storyline was just so slow-developing that I didn't care.

To be fair, I was running on four hours of sleep when I saw that movie in the theatre. Probably not the best movie to watch when you're dog tired, lol.
I never notice these things. I don't fully agree with your reasoning, but absolutely get where your coming from. I guess I just don't think of these things when I watch a movie. I see the movie as a reality. if it was real it wouldn't have been "slow-developing"....it would have been real life! Not sure if this or good or not yet. I usually don't read reviews they make movies I thought were great turn into crap in my mind in a NY minute!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:25 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,124,118 times
Hit and Run with Dax Shepard and Kristin Bell, Tom Arnold, and a small part by Bradley Cooper. I thought it was a pretty decent film. Kind of a romance-action movie. made me laugh quite a few times and the story was interesting enough to keep my attention.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,769,105 times
The Incredible Burt Wonder stone. Panned by critics. A box office flop. Personally I thought it was OK. A few scenes made me chuckle

Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,886,014 times
I last watched NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN.. (Not as good as Sean's older BOND movies (My favourite being YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE))

Old 04-26-2013, 02:32 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,753,088 times
Watched Mary and Max on Netflix last night at a friend's house. Such a bittersweet little movie! Very good.

A couple days before that we watched "Europa Europa" and I normally don't watch films with subtitles so it was an accomplishment for me.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,606,367 times
Pet Semetary. One of the best old school horror flicks, IMO.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:46 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,765,364 times
Just saw "From Up On Poppy Hill" in the theater. A few thoughts...

1. This was directed by Gorō Miyazaki, son of Hayao Miyazaki. The last film he directed (and his only other one so far) was "Tales From Earthsea", which, in my opinion, was...feeble, to put it politely. I didn't expect much from his latest, but I was pleasantly surprised. While I still felt it wasn't anywhere near the same league as the top Studio Ghibli films, I'd place it somewhere in the middle. Maybe somewhere near Ponyo and Arrietty, two films I like but I don't love. And that's a HUGE improvement over "Earthsea". As with all Ghibli films, I immediately fell in love with the artwork. Much of the music was a sort of clean jazz, very reminiscent of Benny Goodman, which I really liked even though it's quite a departure from other Ghibli films. But one song that I was absolutely ecstatic to see included in the film was Sukiyaki by Kyu Sakamoto. They could not have chosen a better song for the time period in which the film was set!

2. While I definitely enjoyed this movie, there weren't really any of those breathtaking moments that I've grown accustomed to in Hayao Miyazaki's films. I guess that's to be expected since he didn't direct it, but it would have been nice to see that Goro was capable of those moments, too. There were still several scenes that left me a little choked up, just nothing that made me think, "Wow. That was...amazing."

3. This is the first movie I've seen in the theater in about nine years, and I had forgotten a few things. For one thing, I sat in the very back row and the screen still looked far too large to me. It was so large I couldn't really soak in what was on the screen, only focus on details. Secondly, the sound was soooo loud. More than once it was almost ear-splitting. But I didn't mind that because it drowned out all the people crunching their popcorn and smacking their lips loudly. And then I remembered, that's why I never watch movies in theaters. The other people just annoy me too much.

So now I'm eager for this film to come out on DVD so I can watch in the privacy of my own home, alone, at a volume and screen size that's not overwhelming. I have a feeling I'll like it even more then.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:49 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,990,601 times
Hansel and gretel.
Ummmmm....this should have been a made-for-tv movie...dang it sucked.
How could they possibly have thought it would be a hit and need a sequal.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:36 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,886,014 times
I last watched Ghost (1990) - Good movie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies