Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 09:09 PM

452 posts, read 311,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I like scary movies... they don't scare me either... it's quite normal for me to hide inside cabinets like a Kitt'N.

Loved that movie... some scenes, I still can't watch... like in the unedited version when she runs down the stairs... backwards & upsidedown. Yikes! Going to sleep now... lights on. Thanks Escape.
Lol! My apologies.
I must have watched the edited version. Ah well.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:39 PM

668 posts, read 996,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Ironclad. Violent medieval movie.
I saw Ironclad last night as well. It could have been so much better. How could it miss when it has 13th Century England, siege warfare and Knights Templar? By including Rooney Mara's character, that's how.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:23 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,364,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Have you seen "Amadeus?" Here...F. Murray Abraham gives an eerie yet captivating performance.
So right, Ans. His performance in Amadeus has been one of the most memorable roles I've ever seen. He plays seething internal jealousy so well. He reminds me of Frank Langella or Geoffrey Rush in that they can all equally, convincingly play monsters, authoritative men of power or men with hearts of gold.

I wondered what happend to him & found this on Wiki (so we know it must be true):

"Abraham's relatively low-profile film career subsequent to his Academy Award has been widely considered an example of the "Oscar jinx". According to film critic Leonard Maltin, professional failure following an early success is referred to in Hollywood circles as the "F. Murray Abraham syndrome".[8] Abraham rejects this notion and once told an interviewer:

The Oscar is the single most important event of my career. I have dined with kings, shared equal billing with my idols, lectured at Harvard and Columbia. If this is a jinx, I'll take two."

When major Hollywood films have been made with Jean-Claude Van Damme, Pauly Shore & Paris Hilton... I wonder where are the F. Murrays & Langellas. Then again, nevermind... not sure I'd like to see Geoffrey Rush or Tom Wilkinson in Scream 9.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:57 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,590,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
So right, Ans. His performance in Amadeus has been one of the most memorable roles I've ever seen. He plays seething internal jealousy so well. He reminds me of Frank Langella or Geoffrey Rush in that they can all equally, convincingly play monsters, authoritative men of power or men with hearts of gold.

I wondered what happend to him & found this on Wiki (so we know it must be true):

"Abraham's relatively low-profile film career subsequent to his Academy Award has been widely considered an example of the "Oscar jinx". According to film critic Leonard Maltin, professional failure following an early success is referred to in Hollywood circles as the "F. Murray Abraham syndrome".[8] Abraham rejects this notion and once told an interviewer:

The Oscar is the single most important event of my career. I have dined with kings, shared equal billing with my idols, lectured at Harvard and Columbia. If this is a jinx, I'll take two."

When major Hollywood films have been made with Jean-Claude Van Damme, Pauly Shore & Paris Hilton... I wonder where are the F. Murrays & Langellas. Then again, nevermind... not sure I'd like to see Geoffrey Rush or Tom Wilkinson in Scream 9.
F. Murray Abraham, Frank Langella, and Geoffrey Rush have something in common, "Theater"!!! To portray the Machiavellian cunning so intensely as if they're still on stage is a highly valuable skill, and really pays off when they’re performing on screen. They have been honed to deliver in a continuous moment, while taking care that portrayal remain integrated internally.

Most of the Hollywood films nowadays lack the sophistication it once held in the industry.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:26 AM

247 posts, read 266,948 times
City Island

Vinnie Jr. is my favorite character. ^____^

Old 07-14-2011, 03:29 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,580,993 times
Horrible Bosses---I never knew that someone as wholesome as Jennifer Aniston could be so nasty!!!!!

Loved the movie as well.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:33 PM

874 posts, read 1,651,835 times
the Zodiac... it's awesome how it was based on a true story.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:27 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,632,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Oh yeah! The worst part is, I've actually worked for bosses with similar attitudes.

Yikes!!!

I watched Going the Distance...actually better than I thought and two of the same actors from Horrible bosses are in it.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:36 PM

571 posts, read 1,051,469 times
"I love you, Phillip Morris" on DVD. It was okay. Unreal that it is based on a true story (so they say).

Old 07-14-2011, 04:37 PM

707 posts, read 1,295,336 times
The Unbearable Lightness of Being starring a very young Daniel Day Lewis. Great movie and book
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies