Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 03:25 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,326,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
Going to see A SINGLE MAN this afternoon at 2:00.
I went to see A SINGLE MAN today, the film for which Colin Firth has been nominated for several awards recently. What a great movie! Honestly, I felt a little blown away by it.

It's a very intimate movie. The entire thing takes place over the course of a day, punctuated throughout with flashback scenes (which mostly feature actor Matthew Goode). It has this steady, languid, mellow pace. (They use a lot of Parisian cafe music that seems to fit the tone.) Firth's character, George Falconer, is a (gay, British) English professor at a Los Angeles college. He's very regimented, anal-retentive, precise. Everyone calls him the "old man." But he's not fuddy-duddy or drear or dour or stuffy. He's a man who has known great happiness and contentment in his life, and even when he's sad, he always seems to wear his good humor sweetly on his his face, in the gentle curve of his smile. He's thoroughly likeable...and achingly lonely.

The movie begins and we quickly deduce that George has recently experienced a profound, soul-shattering loss: his partner of 16 years, Jim (played by Matthew Goode) has died suddenly and tragically. George is, quite literally, heart-broken. The day follows George as he goes about his normal business, interacting with his housekeeper; his students and colleagues; his friend Charley (Julianne Moore); his neighbors (including Gennifer Goodwin); an alluring, random stranger...and the persistent attention of one of his students, Kenny, who alone seems to intuit that George has reached a life-changing crossroads.

It's a beautiful film to watch, especially if you've been at all captivated by the costuming and set decoration of Mad Men. This is very similar, as the movie is set in 1962 or so. (I lusted after every mid-century modern stick of furniture in the movie. Ha!) The director is Tom Ford -- the clothing designer! -- and this is his first movie. The film has a slightly grainy quality, and much of the time, Ford floods the image with white light, which seems to make the colors fade away. It's not black-and-white, but at the same time, sometimes it gives the impression that it is. I suppose this bleak quality is supposed to echo the bleakness of George's spirit, his depression and loneliness. But when George experiences a deep emotion or connection with another, or when he experiences something sensually, Ford floods the image with color...like a blush...and clarifies the image, making it less grainy. It's a beautiful technique. I found it quite captivating and somehow very innocent.

I loved this movie -- and not only for all the lovely naked male torsos and butt-cheeks. Ha! (Colin Firth looks AMAZING!!) The story was just so tender and poignant and, for me, relatable. (And if the thought of gay sex puts you off the idea of going to see this film, don't worry...there's none of that in this movie, save for a couple of sweet, brief, closed-mouthed kisses. The movie isn't really a "gay movie." It's a movie about loss and loneliness and the aching need to connect with others, to feel alive and significant through your connections with others.) But DO take your tissues, because it's a tear-jerker.

I really can't think of a flaw. For me, this movie was a solid A...possibly even an A+.

Last edited by Niftybergin; 01-24-2010 at 04:19 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 01:28 PM

17,765 posts, read 39,793,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Domergurl

i found this movie all over the net however it's not in english
oh man, that's such a bummer. I saw it on cable a few years back.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:30 PM

17,765 posts, read 39,793,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Domergurl

i found this movie all over the net however it's not in english
oh man, that's such a bummer. I saw it on cable a few years back.

I just watched a movie called The Lives of Others and it immediately vaulted into my top film list ... can't say enough about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3_iLOp6IhM

Old 01-26-2010, 10:01 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,475,746 times
I took my mother to see Young Victoria and really enjoyed it.

Oddly enough, Prince Albert - who could easily have come off as a foppish 19th century euro-trash prince - was one of the strongest male characters I've seen in years.

Excellent movie & highly recommend it for all seeking a romantic movie with strong characters that will engage your brain and heart.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 AM

319 posts, read 635,567 times
I watched the Australian western "The Proposition" last night. A great cast, Ray Winestone, John Hurt, Guy Pierce, Emily Watson, Danny Huston, David Wenham and David Gulpilil (a great Aboriginal actor, rush out and see "The Tracker"). Some great themes about family and what constitutes guilt and in turn justice.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:45 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,962,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeproud View Post
I watched the Australian western "The Proposition" last night. A great cast, Ray Winestone, John Hurt, Guy Pierce, Emily Watson, Danny Huston, David Wenham and David Gulpilil (a great Aboriginal actor, rush out and see "The Tracker"). Some great themes about family and what constitutes guilt and in turn justice.
A great movie all round and one of my favourites.

On the subject of Aussie movies. I recently watched Van Diemen's land.Which was a very good, but very bleak movie about cannibalism.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 01-29-2010 at 08:06 AM..

Old 01-29-2010, 11:27 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,581,680 times
Beverly Hills Chihuahua

Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 PM

11,156 posts, read 29,383,168 times
I watched surogates last night it was ok but kinda of boring not what I expected for a bruce willis movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwTJ7mCcFoY

Old 01-29-2010, 01:54 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,925,138 times
My husband picked this little gem for us to watch the other night.
Rubber Ducky this one really stands the test of time. CONVOY The Movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2tka...eature=related

Old 01-29-2010, 09:36 PM

319 posts, read 635,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
My husband picked this little gem for us to watch the other night.
Rubber Ducky this one really stands the test of time. CONVOY The Movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2tka...eature=related
Kristofferson, an American treasure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies