Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 07:16 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,385,881 times

Advertisements

The movie is called Tell No One and it's a pretty entertaining mystery thriller. A doctor hears his wife kidnapped and later finds out she was murdered...or was she? Eight years later he begins receiving emails with video of a woman who looks exactly like his wife, which leads him on a quest to find out what really happened.
I usually find French movies pretentious and plotless but this movie is neither. I highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 12:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,047,317 times
I liked Tell No One, too.
But there are quite a few French movies that I like.
Have you ever seen Ridicule?
Or Le Retour de Martin Guerre? Or La Cage Aux Folles? (These two were re-made into American movies, but these are the originals.)

And IMHO, anything by Truffaut is pretty darned good.

The French movie sensibility can indeed be different from that of a North American, but in terms of heist movies or thrillers, some of the best I've ever seen were French, (and many of them were remade by Hollywood.)
Check out these crime thrillers:
Rififi
Le Cercle Rouge
Film noir, after all, is a French term. Perhaps what sometimes puzzles American viewers might be structural complexity that is lost in the translation.
And perhaps what we call plotless might really be minimalist--as in the hugely influential Le Samourai.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:11 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,744,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
The movie is called Tell No One and it's a pretty entertaining mystery thriller. A doctor hears his wife kidnapped and later finds out she was murdered...or was she? Eight years later he begins receiving emails with video of a woman who looks exactly like his wife, which leads him on a quest to find out what really happened.
I usually find French movies pretentious and plotless but this movie is neither. I highly recommend it.
How nice of you to write an entire film industry off

It's not worse than Hollywood, there is a fair share of stupid English movies too.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:39 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,230,522 times
If you start digging its amazing how much "New" Hollywood stuff is actually remade European.
I watched Russell Crowe on Letterman the other night - the new movie he's in with Ben Affleck and Helen Mirren? Based on a British TV mini-series.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:22 PM

269 posts, read 914,467 times
I saw Tell No One .. it was great!!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:08 PM

22,932 posts, read 28,310,390 times
Le Pacte des Loups is great fun. Until the last 10 minutes, when it just gets ridiculous. You should definitely check it out, but do yourself a favor and turn it off when Baron von Boner whips out his sword.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,047,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Le Pacte des Loups is great fun. Until the last 10 minutes, when it just gets ridiculous. You should definitely check it out, but do yourself a favor and turn it off when Baron von Boner whips out his sword.
I agree about the last 10 minutes.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:26 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,936,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I liked Tell No One, too.
But there are quite a few French movies that I like.
Have you ever seen Ridicule?
Or Le Retour de Martin Guerre? Or La Cage Aux Folles? (These two were re-made into American movies, but these are the originals.)

And IMHO, anything by Truffaut is pretty darned good.

The French movie sensibility can indeed be different from that of a North American, but in terms of heist movies or thrillers, some of the best I've ever seen were French, (and many of them were remade by Hollywood.)
Check out these crime thrillers:
Rififi
Le Cercle Rouge
Film noir, after all, is a French term. Perhaps what sometimes puzzles American viewers might be structural complexity that is lost in the translation.
And perhaps what we call plotless might really be minimalist--as in the hugely influential Le Samourai.
Nice post. Many people overlook how important the various European "New Waves" were, especially French New Wave.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:29 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,519,167 times
I thought Hot Shots Part Deux was good.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:53 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,744,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Wow, thanks for even caring to mention this one.

The last ten minutes are an atrocity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies