Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 02:35 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,219,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
No. That would be The Matrix.
I dont think anyone liked the Matrix...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 02:39 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,354,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
No, that would be Mickey Blue Eyes.
I remember that movie being rightly panned and a box-office flop, so it could hardly qualify as over-rated.

The Matrix, on the other hand, was hugely successful and developed a cult-like following. Why? I have no idea. One of the worst big-budget movies I've ever seen. And I sat through Independence Day.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:26 PM

897 posts, read 1,594,924 times
Quote:
I remember that movie being rightly panned and a box-office flop, so it could hardly qualify as over-rated.

The Matrix, on the other hand, was hugely successful and developed a cult-like following. Why? I have no idea. One of the worst big-budget movies I've ever seen. And I sat through Independence Day.
Wow, really? I guess I'm just one of the mindless mob then because I thought both The Matrix (the original) and Independence Day were great. But then again, I'm also the type of person who goes to the movies as a way to escape. You probably thought Iron Man sucked too. The question is, if these types of movies are beneath you, why do you continue to go and see them?

Old 01-03-2009, 07:26 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,468,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Probably the most overrated movie of all time.
I'm with this guy (gal). TDK was a colossal let down for me. I'm so sick of these mindless, explosion filled, bullet spraying, superhyped action movies that I can't see straight.

I also appear to be one of the few that liked Jack Nicholson as the Joker better than Heath Ledger, although the first Batman movie was much more cartoonish than TDK.

I'm sorry, but if Ledger hadn't died that movie wouldn't have been nearly as big a deal as the media made it out to be. He was good, but Oscar worthy??? Please!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:25 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,354,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
Wow, really? I guess I'm just one of the mindless mob then because I thought both The Matrix (the original) and Independence Day were great. But then again, I'm also the type of person who goes to the movies as a way to escape. You probably thought Iron Man sucked too. The question is, if these types of movies are beneath you, why do you continue to go and see them?
I loved, loved, LOVED Iron Man. One of the best movies I saw in 2008. I loved The Incredible Hulk and The Dark Knight, too.

I hated Independence Day because it was simply a 2 hour action sequence with no intelligence. Alien super computers are Mac compatible? C'mon.

The Matrix was all style and no subtance, and even the style was ripped off from better movies. Poorly written, poorly acted, with a very muddled moral message. And the basic premise made no sense to begin with. Machines take over the world but keep humanity plugged into a super VR array to use them as batteries. Why? Why not just kill all the humans and plug in all the cows? They produce MUCH more heat, and they'd be happy with a big green field instead of individualized, complex lives. And they don't rebel and "whoa, know kung fu."

I love a great action flick. I even like the occasional dumb action flick. But when a movie goes out of its way to insult my intelligence, no thanks.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:01 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,091,425 times
Quote:
No. That would be The Matrix.
I never understood the complete erection everybody had for The Matrix!!! Animatrix, however, was spectacular.
Add 'Saving Private Ryan' to that list of overhyped films (here comes the hate mail!)...excellent battle scenes, but everything else was so sentimental and hokey and drawn out!

As far as the Dark Knight, which I finally watched yesterday, I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. With the exception of Sin City, I'm just not a fan of comic-book films and went into this a bit biased-thinking "Oh boy, here we go another Hulk/Fantastic Four/X-Men/Spiderman etc etc". Hubbie is a comic-book geek so we have to see every damn Marvel/DC regurtitated film that comes out. But I loved the Dark Knight! I thought it was excellent; Heath Ledger was absolutely outstanding and he made the film. It really is sad about his demise because all things considering, I now think there was untapped talent hidden there!

Old 01-06-2009, 03:21 AM

709 posts, read 1,500,397 times
The overwhelming political undertones would make Goebbels blush, but a great action flick nonetheless. My favorite scene: the Hong Kong skyline.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:10 PM

37,806 posts, read 41,094,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
...and are there others, or am I the only one who thought it was only good but not great? Heath Ledger's performance was excellent, but the rest of the film (with the exception of a few scenes) was forgettable.

The first five minutes of the film, I was very excited and was like, "okay. I'm in for a real treat." But my interest dwindled everytime the joker wasn't on screen.

Does anyone share my opinion?

and does Christopher Nolan have something against black people?
I never cared much for Batman as a comic superhero, the TV show or the movies (thought first one with Bale was awful) but I just saw The Dark Knight (On Demand) this past weekend and I thought it was pretty entertaining and much better than every other Batman movie.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:18 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,653,932 times
Quote:

Yeah, that was supposed to be a joke. Mickey Blue Eyes?

Old 01-07-2009, 10:14 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,972,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Actually it was good because it is different than all the other Batman movies. It was very dark like a David Lynch or a Jonathan Demme movie.

Batman the character could have had a better script and a better role as the hero.

Agree, I just saw it and liked it more than the other movies (which I only saw 2 of them). A strong villan can carry a movie, there wasnt much writing for Batman though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies