Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:47 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,252,569 times

Advertisements

Wow - I thought the movie kicked a ss. It was one of the best if not the best comic book movie ever made. It was brilliant. I didn't grow up with comics nor do I like to read them but hubby is a die hard comic book geek. Not to the point of insanity but we do have about 5 cases of comic book boxes filled if that's any indication of his love for comic books and he absolutely loved TDK, too. In fact, the day the Blu-ray came out, he probably watched the movie three times in a five day period.

I loved Maggie, too, and absolutely disagree with the OP about how badly she's aged. I think she looks great and loved her role in the movie - more so than Katie. I will admit, the movie probably would've gone down for me from four stars to three had it not been for Heath Ledger. He was brilliant.

I also disagree with the movie being "cheesy". One needs to consider the fact that it's a COMIC BOOK MOVIE. There will always be a degree of cheesiness I suppose but it's no cheesier than the old Batman flicks. The whole point of the movie was to see the transition of Batman turn from Gotham's hero to most wanted. I think the third flick will be his redemption - that Gotham needs their hero as much as he needs Gotham City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 06:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post

I also disagree with the movie being "cheesy". One needs to consider the fact that it's a COMIC BOOK MOVIE. There will always be a degree of cheesiness I suppose but it's no cheesier than the old Batman flicks. The whole point of the movie was to see the transition of Batman turn from Gotham's hero to most wanted. I think the third flick will be his redemption - that Gotham needs their hero as much as he needs Gotham City.
Yes.
I agree with your entire post, but quoted this part because to me it is the most important.
From The Crow, to 300, Sin City etc etc are all based on comics--it's simply a different, sometimes larger than life approach.
As for the fight scenes, weren't they deliberately obscure and choppy?
But perhaps Nolan should look to Michael Mann; I've always admired his battle scenes.
I hear Kenneth Branagh is going to direct a movie about Thor--the Thunderer was always a favorite comic of mine, it will be interesting to see that production.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:50 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
I liked the movie. I thought it was too dark for young kids but that made me like it all the more. Heath Ledger was awesome and that's good enough for me.

As a whole, I'd agree that movies and music and car styles have been in the gutter since the early 70s, with an occasional flash of brilliance here and there.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:06 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
Just rented this. dont let the critics fool you. THIS MOVIE SUCKS! the last Batman movie, Batman Begins, was a much better movie. i dont know where critics are getting the idea that this film is somehow a cut above the usual comic book based garbage, but i can assure you it is not.

aside from the Joker, everything and everyone else in the movie is horrible. the plot can be best described as a bunch of s*** that happens. the action sequenses are filmed zoomed in so close that you cant even see what is happening - camera zooms in to Batmans chest, you hear some punches and whatnot, then you see a bad guy fall down - (inept directing).

all of the female roles in this film serve but one purpose, be some bimbos hanging off of Bruce Waynes arms or the female lead (who has not aged well since the last movie, btw), and that one purpose is to let the audience know that the male leads aren't gay.

which they are...

then you've got this Commissioner Gordon, who looks like a live action version of Ned Flanders, faking his own death including a funeral and having his wife and son think he was killed, for some reason. so that he could be one of 30 SWAT guys and take off his SWAT ski mask in dramatic fashion, i guess. i dunno. it was certainly a nice believable touch, though.

last thing is that the film just seemed campier than the last one. everything felt kinda cheezy. particularly Batman's costume and mask seemed like a poorly fitting cheap rubber version.

Heath Ledger did a really good job as the Joker. too bad the entire movie outside of him was a total piece of s***.
YOU suck! LOL Just kidding. I wasnt AS impressed as the critics but in my opinion Bale can do no wrong so I conveniently overlook it's many flaws out of respect for his prowess as an actor. haha. Ledger is the LOCK for a posthumous supporting oscar though.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:33 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,252,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
I conveniently overlook it's many flaws out of respect for his prowess as an actor.
You should watch Bale in the movie "The Machinist". Or at least watch a trailer online. He did this film just before he did the first Batman flick. The man is dedicated to his work is all I can say. I have the utmost respect for the guy.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:06 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
You should watch Bale in the movie "The Machinist". Or at least watch a trailer online. He did this film just before he did the first Batman flick. The man is dedicated to his work is all I can say. I have the utmost respect for the guy.

Excellent movie. He got down to like 120 pounds for that movie and then packed them back on for Batman Begins.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:02 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,384 times
i would like to point out that i am not against comic book based movies, although they do make too many of them and often very poorly because they tend to have a built in audience. here are some that are proudly in my DVD collection: The Crow - obviously a classic. The Punisher (Thomas Jane) - descent acting, good cast, great action sequences; very entertaining movie to watch. Spiderman - fun movie, good effects, good action, suprisingly good movie. X-Men - a little corny at times but still watchable; great opening scene. Sin City - very unique in that it looks like youre reading a comic book, not watching a movie; unique and entertaining. Batman Begins - this movie is the "full plate" that critics claimed The Dark Knight was (which it wasn't)

and here are some that i didnt like: The Dark Knight - a 2-star movie that got 4-star reviews. The 300 - overrated. zero acting, lots of speeches, lots of grandstanding. X-Men 2 - still not sure what the point was of making the film or what the hell was going on during the film. it played out kinda like Mortal Kombat 2. Spiderman 2 - just stupid.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:16 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
I loved TDK but they could have thrown out the whole Two Face plot. It didn't really add a whole lot, IMO.

The Punisher with Thomas Jane sucked it hard. As someone who was a HUGE fan of the books I was disappointed on how watered down the movie was. War Zone was much better and truer to the spirit of someone who punishes the guilty.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:30 PM

897 posts, read 1,591,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
i would like to point out that i am not against comic book based movies, although they do make too many of them and often very poorly because they tend to have a built in audience. here are some that are proudly in my DVD collection: The Crow - obviously a classic. The Punisher (Thomas Jane) - descent acting, good cast, great action sequences; very entertaining movie to watch. Spiderman - fun movie, good effects, good action, suprisingly good movie. X-Men - a little corny at times but still watchable; great opening scene. Sin City - very unique in that it looks like youre reading a comic book, not watching a movie; unique and entertaining. Batman Begins - this movie is the "full plate" that critics claimed The Dark Knight was (which it wasn't)

and here are some that i didnt like: The Dark Knight - a 2-star movie that got 4-star reviews. The 300 - overrated. zero acting, lots of speeches, lots of grandstanding. X-Men 2 - still not sure what the point was of making the film or what the hell was going on during the film. it played out kinda like Mortal Kombat 2. Spiderman 2 - just stupid.

You just ruined your credibility by listing that version of the Punisher among the "good" comic book films you watch. Nothing wrong with X-Men 2 or Spiderman 2. It was the third parts of those movies that killed the trilogies. Seems to me that you're just determined not to like sequels.
The best part of your hatred towards Dark Knight is that it's based on the same flaws of Begins. The sketchy fight sequences are meant to show that Batman moves so fast that the criminals can't even see him coming and can't see more than a blur when he's close enough. This is to add to the idea that he's more a "creature to be feared" than a man which feeds the criminals' fear.
The overtly cartoony playboy behavior of Bruce Wayne has been there since the beginning of the comics and the amount of it being shown depends on the writer. It's not used just as a plot to show that he's not gay. In this film it was just a continuation of how they explained it in the first one and he even uses this cover as an excuse for going overseas to kidnap that Chinese guy. The fact that you keep harking on it sounds to me like you WANT him to be gay so, hey, he's gay alright? Now you can feel free to have all the gay Batman fantasies you want.
In regards to Gordon: How do you expect the man to look? He's always been portrayed as having moustaches and being skinny in the comics and it pisses us fanboys off when they have a Gordon without these features (it pissed us off when they did it back in the 60s and it pissed us off when Burton did it) and, in the end, hate to break it to you but it's finally becoming clear that these movies are successful because of us, the fans of the comics, and you have to keep us at least moderately happy if you want your movie to make some money. As far as the faking his own death thing; you didn't have a problem with Raj Al Gul having "doubles" but you had a problem with Gordon faking his death? Again, I think you're grasping at straws here to fuel your hatred for sequels.
As far as the marketing goes I think that they did a fine job of letting you know that this movie was going to be just as dark, if not darker, than the first one which means that it definitely wasn't marketed for 10 year olds. At the same time, they couldn't make it like Sin City because they knew that there would be idiot parents out there who would still bring their kids in just because it's Batman.
Finally, you said that you rented the movie. What kind of television did you watch in on? What kind of a rental was it? Regular DVD or Blu-Ray? The movie looks a lot different on tv than it did at the movie theaters. On tv (or at least on DVD or Blu-Ray) it's a lot brighter than it was at the theaters and, the higher the quality, the brighter the movie gets. At the theater it was darker and this added to the mood and sense of desperation that the movie is supposed to have.
I know I won't change your mind and it doesn't matter because you won't change mine. This was a great movie period and I can't wait for the next one.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:14 PM

2,397 posts, read 4,701,961 times
I enjoyed this one the best out of all the Batman movies. This movie rocked in every aspect of the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies