Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 12:34 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,367,933 times

Advertisements

Pick one of your favorites and tell us why?

For instance, "American Beauty," is one of my favorites over the past what is it ten or so years. Why? Generally speaking it captures a mood, a suburban bliss but the way all bliss is, not really, and the main character Kevin Spacey, afflicted with a glowing example of mid-life crisis, questions his occupation, his marriage, his role as father, nursing a real hunger for youth, his own or just to be next to it, so to speak, he quits his job, starts smoking pot, working out, takes a job at a hamburger joint and lusts after his daughter's best friend.

There's a surreal quality to the ambience of this picture, the music is haunting, I'm sorry I can't remember who did it, but as I write this I can hear it in my head. We find out in the opening narration that the Spacey character will be dead within a year, which of course lends an immediacy to everything that follows, and a bit more empathy than we might have had for his character otherwise; though I, a middle-aged guy with a busy past that I also mourn would have been able to relate regardless.

His daughter's newfound boyfirend, is also his pot supplier, and is played by Wes Bentley, someone I've seen never before or since, and considering the totally captivating performance he gives as the fatalistically surviving son of an abusive, closeted homosexual retired Marine colonel, I wonder why. His father is Chris, can't think of his name, but he's great and his mother is someone else who I've seen often and who was superb as the wife of this guy, and who keeps her head turned away from the abuse both her son and she herself live with, and maintains a life of silent desperation.

If you haven't seen this movie check it out; it has that releasing quality of a movie theme that many of us can relate to, the relief we would all feel if and when we had the guts or were otherwise fed up enough to roll the proverbial dice and bust out of our ill-conceived lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 03:21 AM

79 posts, read 303,195 times
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy are my favorite movies. I think it is the best production of any movie since Lawrence of Arabia. The story draws you into another world supported by visuals that are unprecedented. The 17 Oscars for the series says it all.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 PM

23,497 posts, read 44,172,454 times
White Mischief - Lush, decadent, witty, compelling.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
White Mischief - Lush, decadent, witty, compelling.
I don't know that one. Who's in it? What's it about?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
I don't know that one. Who's in it? What's it about?
It's based on an actual murder trial that took place in colonial Kenya in the 1940's. It's a very wry commentary on the British caste system of the time (a 'gentleman' would never commit murder). Greta Scacchi is one the most ravishing creatures I've ever seen in this film, and Sarah Miles is an absolute scream.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0094317/

Old 11-17-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
His father is Chris, can't think of his name, but he's great and his mother is someone else who I've seen often and who was superb as the wife of this guy, and who keeps her head turned away from the abuse both her son and she herself live with, and maintains a life of silent desperation.
The father is played by Chris Cooper (also amazing in Adaptation), and the mother by an almost unrecognizable Allison Janney.
And you are right to heap accolades on AB; it is just about perfect.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:35 PM

White Mischief, sounds great, and right Chris Cooper and Allison Janney, they were both great, thanks.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:14 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,262,727 times
The Red Violin for the personification of an inanimate object. Absolutely amazing.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:04 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,322,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
The Red Violin for the personification of an inanimate object. Absolutely amazing.
The Red Violin IS an amazing movie, but I have to admit that I didn't feel that way until the big "reveal." But then I was sitting there on the couch with my mouth hanging open. Amazing movie.

My favorite movie is Chariots of Fire. I love costume-dramas...period pieces. The acting and direction is superb. And I'm a sucker for "triumph of the human spirit" movies, which sports movies often are.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:21 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,946,959 times
My favorite movie is "Once". Described as a musical by some people, it is the modern story of a Irish busker - street musician - who meets a young Czech woman who is a gifted pianist. They enjoy a week long friendship during which they inspire each other to pursue their dreams. A beautiful sound track and endearing story accompany this low-budget film. Rated R for that earthy abundance of the F word that the Irish so love, but otherwise about as wholesome as they come. Please rent it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies