Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 05:24 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
It was hard for me to get past the premise, though watching Denueve is never a chore; wasn't it two sisters trying to get to Paris, interested in a career of some sort? I know I'm missing something, what is it? The Woody Allen thing, my brother was actually a musician extra in that and another of Woody's, Celebrity. Woody's a big jazz fan, saw him play his clarinet at Michael's Pub on the East Side years ago; he plays, well, for a movie guy, The Musician's Union insists they use real musicians in those backdrop scenes even though most the time they're not playing, and they pay well; my brother still gets checks in the mail.
Eight Women

All staying in one house and no one getting along.
Isabelle Hupert, Deneuve, Fanny Ardant, among others. It was a funny kind of movie with all the women being kookie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Eight Women

Isabelle Hupert, Deneuve, Fanny Ardant, among others. It was a funny kind of movie with all the women being kookie.
Oh - afterthought:

Not my favorite movie - trying to remind the poster who mentioned this movie which one it was.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:36 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Eight Women

Women? Eight of them? Sounds good to me.

Speaking of, anybody see the Italian film, "Two Women?" From around the late 50's, starring Sophia Loren. Set during WWII, Sophia witnesses the rape of her teenage daughter by German soldiers. Anna Magnani was to play the mother's role and Sophia the daughter, but Magnani objected to being cast as Sophia's mother.

Besides the powerful theme and setting, Sophia had lived through the horror of growing up in wartime Italy, she and her sister protected by their mother, the three of them hiding, living in sewers for long periods of time, Sophia has said that she drew on her life experiences, that she played her mother in this film. What a lady, Sophia Loren, proud, strong, independent, so much integrity it oozes from every pore. The scene right after the rape where Sophia turns to look out the window of a truck driven by a stranger who picks them up on the side of the road, who unaware of the trauma they've just endured urges her daughter to sing along with him and the radio, the shamed, defeated look on Sophia's face is one for the ages.

Last edited by ExPit; 11-22-2008 at 01:48 PM..

Old 11-23-2008, 04:44 PM

I saw that movie years and years and years and years ago. I don't care for Sophia Loren that much but she was very good in that one.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:17 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
The Red Violin IS an amazing movie, but I have to admit that I didn't feel that way until the big "reveal." But then I was sitting there on the couch with my mouth hanging open. Amazing movie.
Yeah, the ending of "The Red Violin" was DEVASTATING! When we realized what had happened, both my wife and I had our jaws hanging and shivers running up and down our spines. Absolutely, positively one of those "OH MY GAWD!" moments in film.

With so much of the film subtitled, I can see why some folks have a problem with the early parts of the movie - especially as to begin with the point of many of the scenes is not readily apparent - but once you get pretty far along into the movie the story becomes pretty engrossing - and of course the ending is INCREDIBLE.

Though we had our doubts at first, by the ending we LOVED this movie.
What an astonishing film.

Ken

Old 04-15-2011, 09:27 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
The Last King of Scotland. Forrest Whittaker made me believe he was Idi Amin. During scenes where he was giving an oration, you really got captivated in his speech and almost believed he truly wanted a better Uganda. In the scenes where he became bat sh*t crazy, you were actually scared of him. You could even feel sympathy for the young Scottish doctor. You understood how and why he became Amin's right hand man, and hoped he would find his way out of the h*ll that was his life at the time.
He definitely is a good actor...I first saw him in "The Crying Game"
since then I became a fan.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:05 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Gotta agree.

Ken

Old 04-16-2011, 11:34 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
He will always be Ghost Dog to me

Old 04-16-2011, 03:05 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Che ... Benecio Del Toro's best role and restored my faith in Steven Soderbergh as a filmmaker.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:30 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
He will always be Ghost Dog to me
Thank you for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies