Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:09 AM

23,679 posts, read 44,467,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Also the Frito-Lay guy, right?
LOL too right...poor fellow, after a stellar career this is how most people will remember him. I'll always remember him best as Hysterium in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum..."I'm loooovvvvelllly..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 10:48 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,453,982 times
"Edvard Munch" stands out in my mind as perhaps the greatest movie ever made. I saw it when it first came out in the 70s and was blown away by it, and last week I had a chance to see it for the second time, on the Sundance Channel, 30 years later, and it is still a killer. An exacting biography of the Norwegian painter, done in re-enacted documentary style.

Milos Forman's Czech film "Loves of a Blonde" was made in the early 70s, and this is the most starkly realistic little picture I can remember. I only saw it for the first time a few years ago, and I had spent a lot of time in Eastern Europe around the time it was made. The reality that it evoked made me want to just sit and cry, it was so close to "home". This is absolutely a must-see.

And, "Umbrellas of Cherbourg" is a picture I will never get tired of. One of a kind, and such beautiful music, I often just put the video on for background music in the house. Awful, sloppy editing, deadly plot, but shot in wonderful sets and costumes. Magic.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:17 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,381,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
"Edvard Munch" stands out in my mind as perhaps the greatest movie ever made. I saw it when it first came out in the 70s and was blown away by it, and last week I had a chance to see it for the second time, on the Sundance Channel, 30 years later, and it is still a killer. An exacting biography of the Norwegian painter, done in re-enacted documentary style.

Milos Forman's Czech film "Loves of a Blonde" was made in the early 70s, and this is the most starkly realistic little picture I can remember. I only saw it for the first time a few years ago, and I had spent a lot of time in Eastern Europe around the time it was made. The reality that it evoked made me want to just sit and cry, it was so close to "home". This is absolutely a must-see.

And, "Umbrellas of Cherbourg" is a picture I will never get tired of. One of a kind, and such beautiful music, I often just put the video on for background music in the house. Awful, sloppy editing, deadly plot, but shot in wonderful sets and costumes. Magic.
I have heard of the first two, but haven't come across them myself yet, and, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, is that the Catherine Denueve thing where every line is sung? That's funny enough to watch just for that. Reminds me of a Gandolfini film recently, one directed by John Turtorro, a great actor with it would seem avant garde taste. Not every line was sung, if in fact that was how the one you mentioned was, (that's how i remember it right now), but outta nowhere every character would step into a soliliquy aside and break into song, the same song, a haunting one, I'll say that, goes...
Everyday i wake up then i start to break up, lonely is a man without love. Everyday i start out then i cry my heart out, lonely is a man without love. ever since I sat through most of that movie I can't get it out of my head. now i see why turtorro was haunted to the point of having to build a whole movie around it.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I have heard of the first two, but haven't come across them myself yet, and, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, is that the Catherine Denueve thing where every line is sung? That's funny enough to watch just for that. Reminds me of a Gandolfini film recently, one directed by John Turtorro, a great actor with it would seem avant garde taste. Not every line was sung, if in fact that was how the one you mentioned was, (that's how i remember it right now), but outta nowhere every character would step into a soliliquy aside and break into song, the same song, a haunting one, I'll say that, goes...
Everyday i wake up then i start to break up, lonely is a man without love. Everyday i start out then i cry my heart out, lonely is a man without love. ever since I sat through most of that movie I can't get it out of my head. now i see why turtorro was haunted to the point of having to build a whole movie around it.
Yes, it is; and as funny as the premise sounds, the movie is actually quite touching and poignant.
Two other 'offbeat' musicals that I loved:
Francois Ozon's 8 Femmes
Woody Allen's Everyone Says I Love You

Old 11-21-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, it is; and as funny as the premise sounds, the movie is actually quite touching and poignant.
Two other 'offbeat' musicals that I loved:
Francois Ozon's 8 Femmes
Woody Allen's Everyone Says I Love You
It was hard for me to get past the premise, though watching Denueve is never a chore; wasn't it two sisters trying to get to Paris, interested in a career of some sort? I know I'm missing something, what is it? The Woody Allen thing, my brother was actually a musician extra in that and another of Woody's, Celebrity. Woody's a big jazz fan, saw him play his clarinet at Michael's Pub on the East Side years ago; he plays, well, for a movie guy, The Musician's Union insists they use real musicians in those backdrop scenes even though most the time they're not playing, and they pay well; my brother still gets checks in the mail.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
It was hard for me to get past the premise, though watching Denueve is never a chore; wasn't it two sisters trying to get to Paris, interested in a career of some sort? I know I'm missing something, what is it? The Woody Allen thing, my brother was actually a musician extra in that and another of Woody's, Celebrity. Woody's a big jazz fan, saw him play his clarinet at Michael's Pub on the East Side years ago; he plays, well, for a movie guy, The Musician's Union insists they use real musicians in those backdrop scenes even though most the time they're not playing, and they pay well; my brother still gets checks in the mail.
SPOILER
Deneuve is a 16 yo girl in love with a 20 yo boy. They want to marry, but her widowed mother feels they are too young and he is without prospects. He is drafted to fight in the Algerian War; before he leaves they consummate their love and she becomes pregnant (unbeknownst to him). I won't give any more away...it's well worth watching.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
SPOILER
Deneuve is a 16 yo girl in love with a 20 yo boy. They want to marry, but her widowed mother feels they are too young and he is without prospects. He is drafted to fight in the Algerian War; before he leaves they consummate their love and she becomes pregnant (unbeknownst to him). I won't give any more away...it's well worth watching.
Boy was I off!

Old 11-21-2008, 02:06 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,453,982 times
The thing about Umbrellas of Cherbourg was the music itself. Michel LeGrand composed the music, and there were three melodic themes throughout, depending on who was involved in the conversation. All three of those melodic themes became very popular songs when set to English lyrics, and instrumental versions are often still heard as elevator music. Here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs1NmsA-n-Y

Old 11-21-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The thing about Umbrellas of Cherbourg was the music itself. Michel LeGrand composed the music, and there were three melodic themes throughout, depending on who was involved in the conversation. All three of those melodic themes became very popular songs when set to English lyrics, and instrumental versions are often still heard as elevator music. Here's a clip:

YouTube - Les Parapluies de Cherbourg * The Umbrellas of Cherbourg - The Departure - La Partida *(English and Spanish Subtitles)*
Great contribution jtur88, thanks!

Old 11-21-2008, 05:22 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,762,864 times
I just saw Loves of a Blonde. It was very different! The biggest scene of the mom, dad and grown son in the bed together - no one could sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies