Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Woody smut monger or genius?
Woody is a great actor and director 26 54.17%
Don't get it 5 10.42%
Get about as many as I don't get. 8 16.67%
Pervert 9 18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 06:29 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,586,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I've never liked his films. It isn't that I don't "get" them, it's that I don't think that they are interesting, funny, or entertaining.

And it's so much better when he doesn't appear in his films. I can't stand it when directors appear in their own films (unless it's Hitchock, who was the only director who pulled it off and only b/c his appearances were usually funny and random cameos).

I could care less about his personal life. That's nobody's business but his.
Couldn't have said it any better!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 06:36 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,916,262 times
Oh me too StarlaJane, I dislike his movies. They are not funny or clever IMO. All his characters do is BICKER, lol.

And appearing in ALL your own films was only great with Hitchcock of course, then it was a bit tongue-in-cheek.

I guess WA is not the only one who is a louse as well as good director....thinking Roman Polanski now.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:11 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,650,441 times
I like Take the Money and Run when I was a kid. But later I realized it was full of recycled jokes from other movies, such as Life of Brian and others.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:24 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,371,869 times
He is very entertaining.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:08 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,998,299 times
Woody Allen is just plain annoying.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,553,688 times
I love Woody Allen--certainly not every film, but most of them.

Having grown up around a lot NYC Jews, I think he captures the culture brilliantly and hlilariously. Sometimes it's not so much that a scene is especially funny, but it's brilliant just because he captures the nuances so well.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:55 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,955,535 times
I like most of his films, and put a handful among my all time favorites. Annie Hall, Manhattan, Stardust Memories, Hannah and he Sisters, Small Time Crooks, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Take the Money and Run, Zelig, Broadway Danny Rose...these are all great ones. He is probably the best writer/director for portraying the NYC spirit, at least during a certain period of history.
On the other hand, were I Jewish I might not be very happy, since I think as a rule he portrays jews in a somewhat mocking fashion. He never really addresses the real issues of Judaism in our culture...and his personal life is a mess, but that is nothing surprising.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,071,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I thought Midnight In Paris was interesting!
Loved it! I ended up buying it. The literary caricatures were fun, and the cinematography enchanting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
I love Woody Allen--certainly not every film, but most of them.

Having grown up around a lot NYC Jews, I think he captures the culture brilliantly and hlilariously. Sometimes it's not so much that a scene is especially funny, but it's brilliant just because he captures the nuances so well.
Yes. For some people the NYC Jewish thing is obnoxious bickering, or perhaps boring intellectual BS, but for me it is familiar, nostalgic banter.

I just watched "Radio Days" for the first time last night. It was charming.
Its musical theme reminded me a bit of "Sweet and Lowdown."

Quote:
He never really addresses the real issues of Judaism in our culture...
Yes, perhaps his culture clash stuff is a bit superficial (remember in Annie Hall when Alvy meets the WASP family?) but it is effective seeing Woody Allen dressed as a Hasidic Jew (that's exactly how the anti-semetic grandmother sees him.)
And statements like this have some power: "My ‘grammy’ never gave gifts. She was too busy getting raped by Cossacks.”
Or this exchange:
"What do you mean?!?! How can you not feel guilty??? My rabbi used to say we're all guilty in the eyes of god."

"Do you believe in god?"

"No ... but I feel guilty about it."

The thing is, there are religious Jews, and secular Jews. It's complicated.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 05-13-2012 at 04:37 AM..

Old 05-13-2012, 04:40 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,945,939 times
Annie Hall and Hannah and Her Sisters are 2 of the best movies I've ever seen. I thought Manhattan was reaching into the well one too many times and it didn't really make sense that Woody was dating a high school girl (although in retrospect it makes a great deal of sense). I liked what they were trying to do with the homage to 40s movies but the script was bad.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:36 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,661,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I like Take the Money and Run when I was a kid. But later I realized it was full of recycled jokes from other movies, such as Life of Brian and others.

Take The Money and Run was made 10 years before Life of Brian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies