Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Woody smut monger or genius?
Woody is a great actor and director 26 54.17%
Don't get it 5 10.42%
Get about as many as I don't get. 8 16.67%
Pervert 9 18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:59 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,220,242 times

Advertisements

Send the word to the legions of frustrated fans: “Vicky Cristina Barcelona” is a glorious return to form. Funny, intelligent, provocative and heartfelt, the film will remind moviegoers why they ever loved Woody Allen. It’s too bad that Whit Stillman already took “Barcelona” as a title, because this film bookends nicely with one of Allen’s masterpieces, “Manhattan.”

Vicky Cristina Barcelona: Woody's back! - At the movies - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26159391/ - broken link)
hmmm....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 12:17 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,172,117 times
I could NOT care less who Woody does.......as far as his movies.....I could NOT care less if he never does another one.....

Old 08-15-2008, 12:24 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,203,127 times
Default Woody Allen's Verbal Feast In 'Barcelona'

"It's the same old opening credits, the elegant white font on the black background, but the music is new. The pulse of a Spanish guitar replaces the big-band brass that usually heralds Woody Allen's films. Barcelona subs for Manhattan. The eroticism of Javier Bardem and Scarlett Johansson replaces the neuroticism of an aging New Yorker wringing his hands."

"Vicky Cristina Barcelona" goes down like sweet Riesling instead of a chalky matzoh ball, and it's all thanks to Allen's extended holiday in Europe."

By Dan Zak
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, August 15, 2008; Page C01

Oh MY! I love a well written metaphor. While delusianne was posting her review, I was reading this one...

Woody Allen's Verbal Feast In 'Barcelona' - washingtonpost.com

Old 08-15-2008, 12:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,076,182 times
Quote:
It’s too bad that Whit Stillman already took “Barcelona†as a title,
I wish Whit Stillman would make another movie!
I loved his trilogy: Metropolitan, Barcelona, and Last Days of Disco.

Johannson seems to be Woody's new muse. They come and they go.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,392,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Johannson seems to be Woody's new muse. They come and they go.
Yeah. If he is a pervert, at least he has good taste in women. And an eye for talent.

I like most of his movies. He gets a lot of flack for his current "direction" but I really like Match Point, and I am still excited about Scoop, but have not watched it. His new one got torn apart by the NPR critic this morning - but I think Woody Allen is one artist who you simply have to judge for yourself. He's a talented, dynamic director who's films always speak to some while completely turning off others.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:27 PM

22,955 posts, read 28,362,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
His new one got torn apart by the NPR critic this morning - but I think Woody Allen is one artist who you simply have to judge for yourself. He's a talented, dynamic director who's films always speak to some while completely turning off others.
I haven't seen the new one yet, but if the critics are to be believed, it shows that Allen is still a master of wit, direction, and (especially) dialogue.

But as far as having anything meaningful to say, Allen is only showing his age. His latest might have been avant garde had it come out in 1964. Today? As one critic put it, "The '60s ended for a reason, you know."

Old 07-30-2011, 05:34 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,662,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have seen some of his movies. My favorite being Zelig which is just about the most brilliant movie I can recall seeing ever. The others that I have seen I have enjoyed very much, so Woody is quite high on my list.

As for the Mia Farrow/Soon Yi thing. My opinion is that Mia used Woody's fame for her own devices. She was into the whole "mommy" think and most probably Woody was a second class citizen in his own [expensive] house. I don't blame anyone for reaching out for happiness wherever they can find it.

20yrsinBranson

Mia was famous long before anybody knew who Woody Allen was/ She was married to Frank Sinatra! She starred in the popular TV show Peyton Place with Ryan O Neil which was very big time. She starred in Rosemary's Baby which was a classic horror flick(filmed in THe Dakota where John Lennon lived and was murdered outside)

My favorite Woody movies and I am a fan, are Annie Hall,Manhattan,Play It Again Sam and Sleeper. Love the Orgasmatron and the robot dog Rags in Sleeper.
Nobody caught the 70s better.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:50 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,211,180 times
I thought Midnight In Paris was interesting!

Old 07-30-2011, 06:10 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,957,214 times
I don't get how so many people love his movies and actors apparently think it is the ultimate career move to appear in his films. Setting aside his weird personal life, I just can't like any one of those movies. I give them a chance and am always disappointed. I guess I just need to stop giving them a chance.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:25 PM

5,017 posts, read 10,728,211 times
I've never liked his films. It isn't that I don't "get" them, it's that I don't think that they are interesting, funny, or entertaining.

And it's so much better when he doesn't appear in his films. I can't stand it when directors appear in their own films (unless it's Hitchock, who was the only director who pulled it off and only b/c his appearances were usually funny and random cameos).

I could care less about his personal life. That's nobody's business but his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies