Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Woody smut monger or genius?
Woody is a great actor and director 26 54.17%
Don't get it 5 10.42%
Get about as many as I don't get. 8 16.67%
Pervert 9 18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:06 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I cant get over the fact he does his daughter.

I really dont think hes that funny.
I just think of all my jewish friends freaking out. They are way funnier...And dont marry thier kids.

asdhgashdg
As Harry pointed out in his informative post, she was not his daughter. There were alot of kids in Mias household. Not that I am at all understanding how he could do such a thing, but isnt the daughter at all guilty as well? She was over 21 and certainly should have had some decency and some loyalty to her mom who saved her.She certainly was willing to walk away from her siblings she grew up with, sounds like she is as heartless as Woody. I give her more slack given her early childhood though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 09:53 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
I saw Annie Hall, was bored to tears while everyone else was raving about it, realized Woody Allen was not for me and never saw another Woody Allen movie since then.

I have no opinion about him or his talent. It's just a movie-goer/movie maker mismatch.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
LOL it isn't his daughter...he never adopted her nor is blood related ....lol...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I cant get over the fact he does his daughter.

I really dont think hes that funny.
I just think of all my jewish friends freaking out. They are way funnier...And dont marry thier kids.

asdhgashdg

Old 08-07-2008, 04:22 PM

Yes, get it straight Woody Allen never adopted the child nor is he blood related nor is she underage...get over yourselves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"I prefer his earlier, funnier films..." (from Stardust Memories)

Woody hooked up with, but did not marry, Farrow in 1980. Soon-yi was about 10 at the time and had been adopted by Farrow with Andy Previn.

A line from wikipedia pretty much sums up the concept that this was not a normal mother-daughter relationship between Farrow and Soon-yi.

"Farrow said of Soon-Yi: "She was on the streets in Korea when she was captured and brought to the state orphanage. And in a way I can see from her perspective — a very limited perspective — that she's improved her situation. For a little orphan kid from Korea ... Perhaps she's not to be blamed." In a widely circulated quote, Soon-Yi dismissed Mia as "no Mother Teresa."" Another line in the wiki, seems to confirm that: "Farrow married German-American Jewish pianist André Previn in 1970. His former wife, songwriter Dory Previn, blamed Farrow for his leaving her and wrote a scathing attack in a song entitled "Beware of Young Girls"."

For people who look at Allen having a relationship with an adopted daughter while in a loving relationship with the mother, the concept is repulsive and creepy. Chances are the folks who see this came from traditional families, with core values of commitment. The show business reality is more commonly one of marriages and relationships for status, business reasons, and convenience rather than commitment. It was at least the third time around for both Mia and Woody, and they weren't committed enough to marry. The tragedy is that when Woody finally did find his muse, it happened to be the odds-out adopted daughter of Mia. Had she been a complete outsider, it would have just been another show business chapter.

What I think a lot of people have a hard time understanding is that the truly creative people don't get to be creative by constantly following the rules, whether those rules are the rules of the current art, of society, or anything else. They often live at or over the edge, and bring back insight that is otherwise missing to the mainstream. That insight is as valued as the rare spices brought back by outrageous explorers in the middle ages. The royalty valued the spices, even if they held the explorers in some disdain.

The bottom line is that Allen has brilliant wit and facility with the language, and a capability of introspection. For him to be able to expose his unprotected underside (prior to Farrow) was remarkable. For him to continue to do so afterward is even more so. I find him an interesting and somewhat self-torturing character.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:07 PM

It wasn't his stepdaughter because she was never adopted and Woody was never married to Mia....he used Mia farrow that was the worst of it.....

As for his best movies I'd say Bananas, Crimes and Misdemeanors, scenes from a mall, hollywood ending, radio days, and interiors are his best movies...

I never liked Annie Hall that much...sort of overrated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
I've seen the following:

What's Up, Tiger Lily? - B+
Take The Money & Run - A-
Bananas - B
Manhattan - B-
Annie Hall - A-
Scoop - B+

So I like most of what I've seen, which is not all that much. When I'm watching his movies I never think about his weird situation with his stepdaughter.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:30 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Loved Sleeper and Take the Money and Run.

Heard he's quite the clarinet player.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:46 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
I saw him play live in NYC many years ago at a tavern/club called MICHAELS, dont know if its still there. His group was more a dixieland jazz kind of thing, not my cup of tea, but the place was packed. We had a front row table and he never once lifted his eyes from the floor. Oddly, in the late 70s I saw him live stand up. The opening act was the late Jim Croce. It was one of those in the round theaters. Again, never looked at the audience.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:41 PM

656 posts, read 1,309,608 times
I can't stand Woody allen so i never ever watch his movies. really i don't know if they're any good or not i just don't like him so i never watch them.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:53 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
I have seen some of his movies. My favorite being Zelig which is just about the most brilliant movie I can recall seeing ever. The others that I have seen I have enjoyed very much, so Woody is quite high on my list.

As for the Mia Farrow/Soon Yi thing. My opinion is that Mia used Woody's fame for her own devices. She was into the whole "mommy" think and most probably Woody was a second class citizen in his own [expensive] house. I don't blame anyone for reaching out for happiness wherever they can find it.

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 08-08-2008 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 08-09-2008, 01:20 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
LOL it isn't his daughter...he never adopted her nor is blood related ....lol...lol
It still would feel like that to me if I was either one of them.

asjhdksjah

And my friends are still funnier.
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies