Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 08:15 AM

65 posts, read 211,236 times

Advertisements

I really miss them. We lost our in this area years ago. About 15 years ago we found one about a hour away in Michigan around where we live. I remember going to the Drive In when we were little in our PJ with popcorn. It was a good deal for two movies. Then as you get older you go with your friends and boyfriends and then I took my kids at least my older kids. My 4 younger on;y know the inside movies. I'm 48 but I really miss them. I know some are still out there. If you are lucky enough to still have a Drive In in your area let us know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 10:23 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,917 times
I never went to a drive-in until I was an adult. We lived in the city and I don't think there was one anywhere near. When I was older, I went with some friends, a couple. I think I was the only one actually watching the movie . I'm not sure why they even asked me to accompany them.

Fast forward to my own son's younger days. We lived about two miles away from the local drive-in. Knowing that these bits of Americana may soon disappear, I made it a point to take him. We went several times with neighbors and their kids. As parents, it was our hope to create memories our kids could share with their kids one day. "I remember when..."

The drive-in nights were a blast! I had a minivan with foldable rear seats at the time, so we'd all pile in, then turn the van around backwards and open up the back. We folded the seats up and spread out blankets. The kids could lay down and watch, and if they fell asleep, so be it. Good times, good times.

I wonder if that drive-in is still there?

Old 06-29-2008, 08:29 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
I love going to the Drive-In! We are lucky to have 2 here in Warren, Ohio (pop. app. 45k). I have heard that Ohio and Pa have the most Drive-Ins, but i'm not sure if that is true.

Elm Road Drive-In Theatre: Welcome

Old 06-29-2008, 09:09 PM

65 posts, read 211,236 times
I thought more people might post. I interested in where other Drive In are still up and running. Your lucky. I remember the one we did have in our town was used by my Uncles Church in the Summer to have a Sunday service there.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:20 PM

There are actually more still in existence that I would have thought. After making my post, I did a quick Yahoo search and found a bunch of them, spread out all over the country. Certainly not as many as in the heyday, but still nothing to sneeze at.

Give me a sec and I'll post a link... Here we go---> Drive In Theater. If you click on List of Theatres (upper left of the homepage) you can pick your state and see what (if any) drive ins are still operational there. Happy screenings!

Old 06-29-2008, 09:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
If you want to know waht they were like park in a field sometimes with a video player. I thnik you will find that they wre very boring except that it was a chance to makeout which was restricted then.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If you want to know waht they were like park in a field sometimes with a video player. I thnik you will find that they wre very boring except that it was a chance to makeout which was restricted then.
Awwww come on, that's a little cynical . The sweetest thing about doing the drive in with kids was, it was a "night out", something totally out of the ordinary and, until the movie started, the kids got to run around a lot. There was a sort of "community" feel to it all. At least, that's the way it was when we went with my son.

As I said, when I went with that other adult couple, it was a whoooooole different story. Believe me, I had to keep my eyes glued to the screen...

Old 06-29-2008, 10:47 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,401 times
There are still a couple of drive-in's here where I live in San Diego County, there used to be more but we lost most of them. I also lived in Arizona and there are at least a couple of them left in Phoenix.

I love the drive in, I'm not a big movie person in general so I couldn't care less if it's not up to speed with the fancy movie theaters now a days, I'd much rather be outdoors and enjoying the night with someone special.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:43 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I ran a drive in for a couple of summers. It was absolutely the most fun job I ever had. Boring? LOL! I think not. Different little groups of cars would form, pre-show and intermission were chat times, the concession was always a hub of activity, and the ramp men were on regular patrol to make sure the steamy windows were only in the back row, and the kids weren't tearing down the fences. Many nights, the use of car horns as a communal activity was a tradition. We knew when the light was low enough to start the first pre-show, but it didn't matter. As soon as the audience saw the sun go down, there would be a few honkers. Let the arc go out or the film break and there would be a cacaphony of horns.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:17 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
There's a six screen drive-in about 2.5 miles from my house. The place is really busy on weekends. The bathrooms (women care about this) are very well maintained, yet there aren't enough of them. There are people who patrol the parking lots on foot to make sure everyone's behaving. Those same patrollers also make you park too close to the car next to you. I hate that. And the hills are a bit too steep for me.

A really fun experience each summer. I'm glad they're still around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies