Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:05 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,980,937 times

Advertisements

The other day I was at the theater watching Saw 5, and there was a woman who was sitting a few seats away from who brought her 2 kids along and the oldest kid looked like she was was 7 or 8 at best while the youngest looked like he was no more than 4 or 5. In my opinion I think it is very inappropriate for a parent to already be exposing kids that young to moves with lots of blood and gore. The appropriate thing to do would have been to take her kids to see High School Musical 3 Senior Year which is more suitable for the age demographic of her kids. When I was that young my parents never took me to watch violent R rated movies. If a parent with very young children want to watch movies like Saw 5 than do it on their own time, don't drag their kids along with them. I see situations like that as a sign of bad parenting. I have seen this scenario happen all the time when I go watch other R rated horror movies, but I am just using Saw 5 as a more recent example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 08:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 34,081,633 times
Was probably a single mom and the kids had two different fathers. May have been her only night available to go out to see a movie.

I think its inappropriate for kids that young to see an "R" rated movie, but if its okay with their parent then we have no right to complain about it.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:14 PM

108 posts, read 396,421 times
I don't even like my husband watching gory movies when the kids are awake, even if they're playing with something else! Seeing a movie like that can cause fear growing up, and instill a distrust for people they don't know because they remember that movie. Completely irresponsible!!! The mother is at fault and she will have to deal with it the rest of her life, and help them overcome their fears with it. My kids get freaked out with Scooby Doo sometimes, and I CANNOT watch creepy movies. I'm 23 and even though they're fake, I still get creeped out!!

Old 11-01-2008, 09:13 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,568,307 times
Default Yotally inappropriate!!

When I was in elementary school, my parents took me and my siblings to the drive in to see Up In Smoke!
When I use to party, I told my Mom it was her fault for taking me to see that movie when I was so young!

Old 11-01-2008, 11:46 PM

956 posts, read 3,011,505 times
I think it's disgusting, and yet another symptom of a post-American America.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:49 AM

485 posts, read 1,317,554 times
Perhaps a mother on the, "Dark Side."

"Luke, I'm your father!"

Old 11-02-2008, 09:29 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,100,947 times
It is creepy and unethical. If you are over 15 and your kid isn't mentally ill or violent then yes he can see scary movies..........

Old 11-02-2008, 09:33 PM

926 posts, read 2,755,854 times
I agree with artsyguy that it is unethical. I think it is innappropriate and I have noticed that in the theater as well and its mostly young mothers that do it. My parents never let me see rated R movies until I was in high school. I actually got put on punishment when they found out I saw Poetic Justice!

Old 11-02-2008, 09:37 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,446,271 times
My friend's father made her watch two movies back to back with him when she was 8. He was very excited about them and wanted to share this joy with her. She was a movie aficionado, too. The two movies: Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket. Nightmares ensued. Some people shouldn't be allowed to parent alone ... or at all.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:39 PM

926 posts, read 2,755,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
My friend's father made her watch two movies back to back with him when she was 8. He was very excited about them and wanted to share this joy with her. She was a movie aficionado, too. The two movies: Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket. Nightmares ensued. Some people shouldn't be allowed to parent alone ... or at all.
I still get nightmares if I watch a scary movie late at night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies