Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 11:16 AM

11,197 posts, read 9,173,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I guess the movie hit a bit too close to home with you. You could say I'm not a fan of the Don't Look Up crowd which the movie makes fun of.
So you are not a fan of Leo then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 12:21 PM

28,754 posts, read 19,029,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
The movie was an indictment of humanity's reaction to a catastrophic event. A reaction that defied logic and reason. It's no surprise that they got the launchings wrong though I'm guessing the launching was also intentional for dramatic effect.

I hope everybody sat through all the credits.
Yeah, there is an end credit scene.

Old 12-26-2021, 05:34 PM

5,539 posts, read 8,299,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
The movie was an indictment of humanity's reaction to a catastrophic event. A reaction that defied logic and reason. It's no surprise that they got the launchings wrong though I'm guessing the launching was also intentional for dramatic effect.

I hope everybody sat through all the credits.
The scene during the credits might have been the funniest thing in the whole movie.

If I were concerned about the accuracy of the movie, it wouldn't be the launching, it would be the impossibility of designing and building the specialized launched vehicles in just a couple of months. Or even the basic concept of the movie, that so many people wouldn't be worried about the collision of a giant comet.

Old 12-26-2021, 10:33 PM

89,138 posts, read 85,814,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
We just watched "Don't Look Up," which I would characterize as "Dr Strangelove for the Millennial Generation or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Comet."

If you liked "Dr Strangelove," this movie is for you. It has the possibility of becoming a cult classic.
I loved it. I saw it didn't get great reviews, But I don't care. There was way too much truth to it.

Old 12-26-2021, 10:34 PM

89,138 posts, read 85,814,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
That was kind of a mean and unnecessary response.

I liked the movie but I think they needed to do a better job with the editing. It didn't need to be 2 hr 15 min. I think a slightly shorter, more concise movie would have done a better job driving home the point they were trying to make.
Yes, that was my only complaint. Sometimes it wandered off a bit too long.

Old 12-27-2021, 12:41 AM

37,199 posts, read 42,462,414 times
Quote:
If you found it unfunny and boring perhaps because the movie is making fun of you, your beliefs and your way of life. I thought the movie was brilliant and I loved it.
BRILLIANT? Hardly. It was sophmoric satire, and there's nothing wrong with that, but nobody can call it BRILLIANT. I thought it leaned to heavily on bad stereotypes which automatically made me think there wasn't much thinking or effort put in but whatever, it was just playing to the base, propaganda becasue it's just a Netflix movie.

It was cute but too long. The talk show hosts cracked me up and infurated me at the same time since I can't even watch talk shows anymore due to the hosts always needing to be the center of attention and throw their "zingers" in even when a guest is trying to say something I really want to hear.

The BASH CEO...I swear to god it's a parody of Musk/Jobs/Gates and Biden. Change my mind.

Old 12-27-2021, 12:50 AM

28,754 posts, read 19,029,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

The BASH CEO...I swear to god it's a parody of Musk/Jobs/Gates and Biden. Change my mind.
Of course it is. Maybe more Jobs than the others.

An ending zinger was that all the people who got the ride off Earth were old, rich, saggy farts...not a crop of young, strong breeding stock. To the very end, the elites were concerned only about themselves, not about humanity in general.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:07 PM

7,179 posts, read 12,777,499 times
Quote:
I loved this movie. If you don't find it funny you may want to look in the mirror and see what and who you really are
I could see the satire, but the overlay of reality and how the world is right now left me feeling...sad....

Memes and such...sad, truly.

I found the movie meaningful on several levels.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:43 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,146,878 times
I did not like it and I love Leo. Why he would do such a stupid boring movie is beyond me. Sure, they tried to tell people we need to pay more attention to what is happening to our planet. That's a good thing. Sorry, their method of telling people just did not work. Don't spend 2+ hours on this mistake.

Old 12-28-2021, 10:27 PM

1,071 posts, read 735,923 times
A couple things as I rewatch the movie:

1. I think there were a couple of parts to the movie they could have left out and it could have made the run-time of the movie a little shorter. The first is the initial launch by the government and then turn around due to the tech guy's (forgot his name) objection. Why even have the scene? Just show him in the oval office influencing her behind the scenes and her making her use his method instead of hers. Also, Yule's character was completely unnecessary

2. Whereas this movie relied on crude stereotypes, I think most of you are only half-right when you talk of the mockery of Trump supporters. This movie definitely DOES mock them, but it also mocks supposed young, liberal media types and other stars for thinking they're stupid concerts, hash tags and bad songs will somehow stop the comet.

That's all I have now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies