Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 12:39 AM

20,838 posts, read 4,544,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Take off the fanboy goggles, son. Let me know if you feel the same in your seventies as you did at 35. Even Jackie Chan (who is now 67) has modified his fighting style as he ages, and he's been doing so since his bid adieu to his forties.

Btw, it is spelled Trautman.

You're referring to the "actor". I was referring to the "character". The character was highly trained, and great fighting shape, etc. He would most likely be capable of protecting his lands and family even at advanced age.

I know how it's spelt, I just did a quick copy/paste of the video title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 08:50 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,393,569 times
Quote:
I guess I've grown up to the point where I expect more story with my violence. I can't suspend disbelief the way I did when I was a teen.* Rambo's in his seventies in that film (he sure as heck doesn't look fifty); he singlehandedly constructs an elaborate tunnel network in his free time and proceeds to maim and kill with the stamina of someone half his age, i.e. the character as portrayed in the first two films. When you see an amputation performed as smoothly as cutting up a stick of butter, it's time to call it a day, no?

*The same applies to Chuck Norris as Booker in The Expendables 2. He performs with an almost comical efficiency.
Stallone needs someone in his life who is willing to give him some truth. He is exceedingly talented and even smart when he sets his mind to it. Unlike a lot of stars, Stallone can write and has proved it. But he keeps making schlock with little effort or craft. Someone needs to tell him, "Sly, you aren't 30 years old anymore. Proceed accordingly. Stop embarrassing yourself."

Old 07-26-2021, 09:36 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,648,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
I know how it's spelt, I just did a quick copy/paste of the video title.
You typed it out. You can't blame YouTube for that. As you were.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Stallone needs someone in his life who is willing to give him some truth. He is exceedingly talented and even smart when he sets his mind to it. Unlike a lot of stars, Stallone can write and has proved it. But he keeps making schlock with little effort or craft. Someone needs to tell him, "Sly, you aren't 30 years old anymore. Proceed accordingly. Stop embarrassing yourself."
That's the plain truth. Remember the accolades he got for Cop Land? That's the direction he should have gone.

I genuinely thought Last Blood was going to be a mature treatment of an aging character. Instead, it took Rambo into Chuck Norris territory.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:40 AM

777 posts, read 356,626 times
Quote:
That's the plain truth. Remember the accolades he got for Cop Land? That's the direction he should have gone.

I genuinely thought Last Blood was going to be a mature treatment of an aging character. Instead, it took Rambo into Chuck Norris territory.
Yeah, I hate that was just a brief detour instead of a new path.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Yup. I'd even settle for something in the tone of ROCKY BALBOA. Not a great flick by any stretch, but at least he was playing his age in a story suited to it.

Quote:
I still haven't been able to muster the will to watch it. The last Stallone flick I forced myself to watch was one of the EXPENDABLES movies. It was a waste of time. I honestly can't remember if it was the first one or the second one or the third one. Is there any difference?

Old 07-26-2021, 09:56 AM

You know, it is possible to make a great action movie with aging stars. Check out DEATH HUNT. Bronson was 60 years old, and Lee Marvin was 67 years old. They are playing characters who are the same age, showing the younger guys how it's done, and it's fantastic. Why can't Stallone and Schwarzenegger do the same?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPA9TIMBFHg

And it doesn't get much better than this aging gunfighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftTX4FoBWlE

Old 07-26-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
The first Rocky is the best, and that will never change.
ROCKY is not only the best movie in the series, it is one of the best movies of the 1970s, which is the best decade for American cinema.

And people often forget that Stallone didn't just star, he wrote the script, which is a masterpiece. Which is why I think Stallone has been wasting his talent for the past 20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TGwjiBV2w8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTBI3NCfizs

Old 07-26-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
ROCKY is not only the best movie in the series, it is one of the best movies of the 1970s, which is the best decade for American cinema.

And people often forget that Stallone didn't just star, he wrote the script, which is a masterpiece. Which is why I think Stallone has been wasting his talent for the past 20 years.
Indeed. It is a nuanced, ground level portrait of a guy trying to be something, and it feels honest and not the least bit contrived.

And, yes, the '70s is!

Old 07-26-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I still haven't been able to muster the will to watch it. The last Stallone flick I forced myself to watch was one of the EXPENDABLES movies. It was a waste of time. I honestly can't remember if it was the first one or the second one or the third one. Is there any difference?
The first Expendables is an entertaining if formulaic and predictable romp. But the action is well done, and it had a novel cast (but that novelty wore off as the credits rolled). The sequels are camp without admission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies