Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 02:05 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I wasn't expecting much from that one and was still very disappointed . Saw it in the theater.
As did I. Stallone should be embarrassed for making that trash, especially since Rambo was very good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 03:21 PM

10,764 posts, read 4,346,172 times
But if you read the Rotten Tomato critics reviews of Last Blood, the critics wanted "less blood spatter", and it "painted Mexico as too dangerous", and "too action-packed", and "its racist", and they criticized it for having sex trafficking....

What did they expect? They wanted a RAMBO movie with less violence, less blood, less action, Mexico doesn't have a crime problem and anyone who says differently is a racist.....sounds like the critics are a bunch of 12-year-old-girls who'd never heard of Rambo and have never been to Mexico....

Old 07-24-2021, 04:45 PM

I didn't read anything on Rotten Tomatoes. My problem with the film wasn't the violence (though the CGI blood and effortless kills by the aging protagonist did get tiresome after a while), it was the one-note story and lack of development for any of the characters.

If you want to watch a bloodbath, it's great. If you're expecting a nice sendoff for a cool character (YMMV), it's extremely disappointing (especially when compared with the 2008 film).

Old 07-24-2021, 05:28 PM

Well I can't imagine a better sendoff than
Spoiler
Rambo taking a man's beating heart out of his chest.

The opposite of disappointing.
Disappointing would be if Rambo stopped beating people up, and got cancer....

Old 07-24-2021, 06:28 PM

3,430 posts, read 1,842,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Creed??!!

You officially have the worst taste in movies ever. No soup for you!
Creed 1 was awesome.. Creed 2 was firmly "for millennials and by millennials."

I cringe at Creed 3.

Then. Son of Creed...

They will keep going..

Old 07-24-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Well I can't imagine a better sendoff than
Spoiler
Rambo taking a man's beating heart out of his chest.

The opposite of disappointing.
Disappointing would be if Rambo stopped beating people up, and got cancer....
I guess I've grown up to the point where I expect more story with my violence. I can't suspend disbelief the way I did when I was a teen.* Rambo's in his seventies in that film (he sure as heck doesn't look fifty); he singlehandedly constructs an elaborate tunnel network in his free time and proceeds to maim and kill with the stamina of someone half his age, i.e. the character as portrayed in the first two films. When you see an amputation performed as smoothly as cutting up a stick of butter, it's time to call it a day, no?

*The same applies to Chuck Norris as Booker in The Expendables 2. He performs with an almost comical efficiency.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:25 PM

518 posts, read 401,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
I know most people (including Stallone himself) hate this film, but....

It had the most convincing father-son argument ever captured on film, when Rocky and son were arguing, it did not look like acting. And it was his real life son playing that role, perfectly cast and perfectly performed by Sage Stallone RIP.

Also I like how different this was compared to the previous Rocky films, because this time Rocky was not fighting in the ring, and the street fight was very well-performed and had the most stylish "get up" flashback/montage moment ever.
Also Tommy Morrison's boxing scenes throughout the film, were brilliant, not surprising because he was one of the very best fighters in the world at the time (in real life).

And I've heard people criticize Morrison's acting, but I think he did a good job avoiding the trap that many rookie actors fall into, he did not overact. And he was not supposed to have the energy of Apollo Creed or Clubber Lang, so he acted accordingly, like a typical emo 90s guy.
Also, great performance by Burt Young, his Paulie character provided some great comedy.
In fact Rocky V had better comedy than any other Rocky film.

And I think a lot of the hate directed at this film is irrational.....because people expected a more emotionally uplifting film, because all Rocky films have that momentum of underdog gradually moving up.....but this story felt more like real life, and that's why I like it more than every other Rocky film.

I liked the movie.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:40 PM

20,657 posts, read 4,428,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I guess I've grown up to the point where I expect more story with my violence. I can't suspend disbelief the way I did when I was a teen.* Rambo's in his seventies in that film (he sure as heck doesn't look fifty); he singlehandedly constructs an elaborate tunnel network in his free time and proceeds to maim and kill with the stamina of someone half his age, i.e. the character as portrayed in the first two films. When you see an amputation performed as smoothly as cutting up a stick of butter, it's time to call it a day, no?

*The same applies to Chuck Norris as Booker in The Expendables 2. He performs with an almost comical efficiency.

Did you forget what Colonel Troutman said? Johnny knows his guerilla warfare!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He_AFsUeDUI

Johnny knows how to take care of himself. He may go all blood & guts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=831LvHXLXx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pS5MzF9U_k

Old 07-25-2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWidow View Post
I liked the movie.
Co-signed.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Did you forget what Colonel Troutman said? Johnny knows his guerilla warfare!
Take off the fanboy goggles, son. Let me know if you feel the same in your seventies as you did at 35. Even Jackie Chan (who is now 67) has modified his fighting style as he ages, and he's been doing so since his bid adieu to his forties.

Btw, it is spelled Trautman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies