Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2021, 09:21 AM

23,059 posts, read 28,638,470 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLMT5uXjFLY

Started this last night and made it about halfway through before I had to turn it off for other things. I had high hopes, but so far I'm disappointed. It isn't bad. It's just thoroughly mediocre.

It's obvious the movie wants to be KILL BILL. But it feels more like an R-rated DICK TRACY. The cast is great. All the leads are giving it their all. But the writing ... it feels like writing. No "organicness" to it at all. Every bit of dialogue you can tell that someone was chewing on a pencil eraser and trying to "sound cool."

The fight scenes are creative and even wacky but very obviously choreographed.

I might finish it. I might not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 12:49 PM

512 posts, read 328,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLMT5uXjFLY

It's obvious the movie wants to be KILL BILL. But it feels more like an R-rated DICK TRACY. The cast is great. All the leads are giving it their all. But the writing ... it feels like writing. No "organicness" to it at all. Every bit of dialogue you can tell that someone was chewing on a pencil eraser and trying to "sound cool."

The fight scenes are creative and even wacky but very obviously choreographed
That is a perfect description of KILL BILL: great acting, gimmicky writing, very evidently choreographed fights.
Not saying I don't love KB, cuz I do; it is one of my favorite films ever, but Tarantino has made a great career out of making thoroughly gimmicky, stagy movies constructed from parts of million other films, and written with cool-cat artificiousness .

Old 07-16-2021, 05:49 AM

I finished it. The second half of the movie is much better. It's still not a great movie. Paper-thin characters. An even thinner plot. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo w motion in fight scenes.

But it's fun. Keep your expectations low, and it makes for a fun movie night. Don't expect KILL BILL. It's more of an R-rated, all women DICKY TRACY, largely saved by a great cast.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:54 PM

5,206 posts, read 2,240,617 times
My wife and I enjoyed it. You kinda know what you were getting just from watching the previews. It was some good mindless fun! Really enjoyed the cast and it was shot (pardon the pun) well.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:19 PM

729 posts, read 546,018 times
If you can guarantee the movie will turn my brain into pudding, then I'll watch it.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:27 PM

19,375 posts, read 28,097,777 times
Ha ha, I JUSt finished it. It's junk. Action scenes are very poor. It's not Kill Bill, everyone now wants to be female John Wick.

If you want some of that, either watch Atomic Blond - which is very good action scenes, under totally moronic plot - or, this below. It's a concept, so do not expect fancy props.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_uTIzQIjSs

Old 07-17-2021, 11:22 AM

I enjoy a good kung fu movie as much as most people. But honestly, I am beyond tired of the hyper-choreographed fight scenes in all movies these days. Ever actually been in a physical altercation? It ain't lovely. It isn't fist ballet. It's brutal and chaotic. I wish more movies would occasionally do a semi-realistic fight scene.

Something like ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mm4mLsCAyI

And I maintain that this is still the best sword fight ever filmed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERmM5l2ceoY

Old 07-19-2021, 04:47 PM

28,796 posts, read 19,149,970 times
[quote=Mark S.;61473870]I enjoy a good kung fu movie as much as most people. But honestly, I am beyond tired of the hyper-choreographed fight scenes in all movies these days. Ever actually been in a physical altercation? It ain't lovely. It isn't fist ballet. It's brutal and chaotic. I wish more movies would occasionally do a semi-realistic fight scene.

Something like ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mm4mLsCAyI

The fake part of that one is that they were still standing and walking afterward.

Quote:
And I maintain that this is still the best sword fight ever filmed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERmM5l2ceoY
How did he manage to grab and hold the end of the sword? It should have been easy to pull it out of his grip.

Old 07-24-2021, 03:25 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,665,566 times
I thought it was overall good entertainment. Was it oscarworthy? No way. There were some continuity issues too, by no means flawless. Suspension of disbelief is necessary as it is a bit absurd and yes, that diner fight scene is toooo daaaaamn slooooooooooow. Still enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies