Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:51 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,312,050 times

Advertisements

LOL @ "explosive" adjective used to make the bill sound more legit.

Senate Dems eye background checks for explosive powder - The Maddow Blog

ETA: Mad Cow Disease blog link was used to pre-empt rebutes saying it's from a crackpot site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 10:05 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,162,366 times
I knew it was only a matter of time. Liberals simply can't contain themselves when it comes banning anything a white conservative might be interested in. It's in their DNA.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:08 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Liberals simply can't contain themselves when it comes banning anything a white conservative might be interested in.
Where in the article does it say anything about banning gunpowder?

Old 04-25-2013, 10:10 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,312,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Where in the article does it say anything about banning gunpowder?
The NICS delay on purchasing gunpowder would overwhelm the system. Current delays even hedged with private f2f transactions recently have been 7-10 days instead of 15 minutes. Government is often obtuse (intentionally or not) about the consequences of feel-good legislation.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,155,730 times
They're going after reloaders.

There's been discussion about this on a shooters' forum I'm on. Lots of guys into reloading there, of course, and they've all known it was going to be coming. I'm ashamed that it's originating with my senator, though. I can't stand the guy (Reid), but historically he's been somewhat reasonable on gun issues, for a Democrat.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:17 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,727,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
LOL @ "explosive" adjective used to make the bill sound more legit.

Senate Dems eye background checks for explosive powder - The Maddow Blog

ETA: Mad Cow Disease blog link was used to pre-empt rebutes saying it's from a crackpot site.

The Constitution states we are to have powder and ball at all times, ready at a moments notice.

Go pound more sand Mr. "deadman walking" Reid

Old 04-25-2013, 10:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,867,298 times
That is a logical extension of background checks for firearms. If it could, which I doubt, make obtaining explosives by would be bombers more difficult I have no real objection. I also do not have as much objection to background checks as I do to the 1934 Federal Firearms Act restrictions and taxation on some types of guns. I believe our duty to be part of a Militia requires civilians to own military personal weapons.

I would strongly support background checks if an individual could review the database to see if their name was improperly included and had a way to have their name removed is in error. I also do not see removing the fundamental right to own a firearm for a non-violent crime such as drug possession.

Yes, I would like to keep firearms away, or at least make it far more difficult, from violent felons or proven (?) crazy people to buy one on the open market. Background checks would do that for many but not for all. It would mostly restrict the mentally dangerous but not have any significant restriction on criminals obtaining or using guns. That will simply never happen.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:20 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
They're going after reloaders.

There's been discussion about this on a shooters' forum I'm on. Lots of guys into reloading there, of course, and they've all known it was going to be coming. I'm ashamed that it's originating with my senator, though. I can't stand the guy (Reid), but historically he's been somewhat reasonable on gun issues, for a Democrat.
If the Tea Party in that state hadn't put up such a POS candidate to run against him he would have been out.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:20 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,842,211 times
I feel like we just did this

Old 04-25-2013, 10:22 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I feel like we just did this
You have been and it's never going to stop for the forseeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies