Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 01:04 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,588,415 times

Advertisements

What do you think the results would be had the English Catholics managed to succeed in blowing up the house of lords and killed King James the I?

Gunpowder Plot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Along with that, why was the anonymous letter sent about it so ho hum?

Quote:
My Lord, out of the love I bear to some of your friends, I have a care of your preservation. Therefore I would advise you, as you tender your life, to devise some excuse to shift your attendance at this parliament; for God and man hath concurred to punish the wickedness of this time. And think not slightly of this advertisement, but retire yourself into your country where you may expect the event in safety. For though there be no appearance of any stir, yet I say they shall receive a terrible blow this Parliament; and yet they shall not see who hurts them. This counsel is not to be condemned because it may do you good and can do you no harm; for the danger is passed as soon as you have burnt the letter. And I hope God will give you the grace to make good use of it, to whose holy protection I commend you.[86]
Seems awfully nice and laid back for a plot to BLOW UP such a place such as the House of Lords and assassinate the king, no? Why not be all "THERE'S A PLAN TO BLOW UP THE HOUSE OF LORDS BY SO AND SO, DO SOMETHING!!!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 05:13 AM

3,862 posts, read 6,320,939 times
Talk about reserved! Now we know why the Brits are so famous for their "stiff upper lip".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History