Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 07:56 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That makes such things valid objects of critical historical study...but not entertainment for children.
Must it be either/or though? Can it not be both/and?

WB faced a similar issue when they released their DVD boxed sets of the classic Looney Tunes --- some of which were incredibly racist. So the DVD has Whoopi Goldberg do an intro and just face the issue up front. Talk about it. Make it the proverbial "teachable moment."

Post-moderns love to scoff at the practices of ancient Pharaohs and Caesars whose "histories" were all about their victories and divine rights but never detailed their failures. It was an incredibly dishonest history.

But are we doing anything different when we cancel movies, books, and TV shows because they no longer reflect our current values?

I'm not exactly in a hurry to rewatch SONG OF THE SOUTH. I saw it once in the theater when I was a kid. I don't remember being particularly taken by it. I just don't like the idea of trying to erase art that may be offensive. I'd rather face the offense and learn from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 08:07 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Must it be either/or though? Can it not be both/and?

No. No more than D. W. Griffith's "Birth of a Nation" or Leni Riefenstahl's "Triumph of the Will" can be both.

Quote:
WB faced a similar issue when they released their DVD boxed sets of the classic Looney Tunes --- some of which were incredibly racist. So the DVD has Whoopi Goldberg do an intro and just face the issue up front. Talk about it. Make it the proverbial "teachable moment."

Well, then you've introduced the "critical historical study" aspect that I spoke of. That's no longer the story alone.

There are some stories that do manage to do both within the context of the story. "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Huckleberry Finn" come readily to mind.

Quote:
Post-moderns love to scoff at the practices of ancient Pharaohs and Caesars whose "histories" were all about their victories and divine rights but never detailed their failures. It was an incredibly dishonest history.

But are we doing anything different when we cancel movies, books, and TV shows because they no longer reflect our current values?

I didn't say anything about "cancelling" anything. I said:

That makes such things valid objects of critical historical study...but not entertainment for children.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:21 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
No. No more than D. W. Griffith's "Birth of a Nation" or Leni Riefenstahl's "Triumph of the Will" can be both.
Who is showing "Birth of a Nation" and "Triumph of the Will" to their kids? Call social services!

Quote:
I didn't say anything about "cancelling" anything. I said:

But again: Can't it be both? I'm honestly asking. The question is not rhetorical.

The racist Bugs Bunny cartoons are still entertaining. They are brilliant cartoons. But if you're showing them to your kids, it's probably a good idea to discuss the racism in them that was prevalent of the time.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:37 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
I think it would historically instructive to know how and why those stories came to America.
A properly-written introduction would include that information. And reading the stories would of course reinforce that, as they are all about using your wits to survive against enemies much more powerful than yourself. No wonder slaves told those stories to their children!

Old 03-04-2021, 08:41 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The racist Bugs Bunny cartoons are still entertaining. They are brilliant cartoons. But if you're showing them to your kids, it's probably a good idea to discuss the racism in them that was prevalent of the time.
It's probably better to wait until the kids are older before introducing them to the problematic cartoons like Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips. Let them watch the non-racist Loony Tunes stuff first. Then they can move on to the the problematic ones (with an adult putting the problematic material in its proper context).

Old 03-04-2021, 12:04 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's probably better to wait until the kids are older before introducing them to the problematic cartoons like Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips. Let them watch the non-racist Loony Tunes stuff first. Then they can move on to the the problematic ones (with an adult putting the problematic material in its proper context).

I watched all of that, good and bad cartoons, as a child. I was smart enough to work it out for myself.

With today's snowflakes, I guess that they need more hand holding and hugging!

Old 03-04-2021, 01:15 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I watched all of that, good and bad cartoons, as a child. I was smart enough to work it out for myself.

With today's snowflakes, I guess that they need more hand holding and hugging!
Do you not understand how these sort of depictions set up an us (white people) vs them (foreigners or POC with their funny ways) that is insulting if you're not part of the "us"? So even if something didn't bother *you*, Song of the South might have bothered or shamed the Black kids down the street. If it's being a snowflake to realize that something that depicts an ethnic minority or people of color as a stereotype can be harmful, than bbbrrrrr

Old 03-04-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Do you not understand how these sort of depictions set up an us (white people) vs them (foreigners or POC with their funny ways) that is insulting if you're not part of the "us"? So even if something didn't bother *you*, Song of the South might have bothered or shamed the Black kids down the street. If it's being a snowflake to realize that something that depicts an ethnic minority or people of color as a stereotype can be harmful, than bbbrrrrr

Give me a break! It's a frickin cartoon!!!!!

What about COMEDIANS who have been picking on groups for years! Richard Pryor, Don Rickles (who BTW was really a softie, he always apologized to anyone in the audience that he singled out with a bottle of champagne) and others would be out of work today

Old cowboys and Indians black and white TV series are gone

That's the problem with society today. Everyone is too soft. No sense of humor! The "snowflakes" have ruined it for everyone else

Old 03-04-2021, 03:59 PM

Give me a break! It's a frickin cartoon from a different time in history!!!!!

What about COMEDIANS who have been picking on groups for years! Richard Pryor, Don Rickles (who BTW was really a softie, he always apologized to anyone in the audience that he singled out with a bottle of champagne) and others would be out of work today

That's the problem with society today. Everyone is too soft. No sense of humor! The "snowflakes" have ruined it for everyone else

Old 03-04-2021, 05:25 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Give me a break! It's a frickin cartoon!!!!!

This is nothing knew. Black people have detested "Song of the South" from the moment it was released.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies