Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 11:27 AM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times

Advertisements

We all need good news in times like this, and need to recognize our past and the good that was in it, rather than just the problems. I am unable to find the exact news article on Song of the South, but at one point I read one that pointed out that the Atlanta writer of the Uncle Remus tales got almost all of them from an old black man in south Alabama. There have been ongoing battles over whether the storytelling is derogatory or, in fact, an honoring of the man and the stories. I am strongly of the opinion that history will eventually recognize the goodness, and that the polish of Disney was no more than what had to be done with the Grimm fairy tales to make them palatable for the American audience. I fondly remember the songs and mix of live action and animation.

In reading various articles related to the film, one reviewer brought out (or more accurately inferred for fear of retribution) that many of the slave stories were in fact teaching stories on how to cope, and what would happen to those who acted out. There is more "meat" to the stories than many of the Grimm fairy tales. Growing up in the north, I had no idea why the rabbit was upset that the tar baby wouldn't return a greeting. Having moved to the south, it now is completely obvious to me. Most transaction start with a "How are you?" and a "Fine, how about you?" - including checking out at a store. That isn't stereotype, that is reality.

Regrettably, the language of film often resorts to stereotyping, in the interest of forwarding a plot that, if written out, would barely qualify as a short story. A lot has to translate into recognizable imagery that highlights a point

The choreographed native dances in the Brando version of "Mutiny on the Bounty" and "Around the World in 80 Days" are far more culturally offensive to me than "Song of the South."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 11:43 AM

28,685 posts, read 18,820,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
We all need good news in times like this, and need to recognize our past and the good that was in it, rather than just the problems. I am unable to find the exact news article on Song of the South, but at one point I read one that pointed out that the Atlanta writer of the Uncle Remus tales got almost all of them from an old black man in south Alabama. There have been ongoing battles over whether the storytelling is derogatory or, in fact, an honoring of the man and the stories. I am strongly of the opinion that history will eventually recognize the goodness, and that the polish of Disney was no more than what had to be done with the Grimm fairy tales to make them palatable for the American audience. I fondly remember the songs and mix of live action and animation.
The narrative frame around the stories as written and published by Joel Chandler Harris is patently offensive to every generation of black people since it was published. To the extent that Disney's "Song of the South" captures Harris' portrayal, it is also offensive.

Quote:
In reading various articles related to the film, one reviewer brought out (or more accurately inferred for fear of retribution) that many of the slave stories were in fact teaching stories on how to cope, and what would happen to those who acted out. There is more "meat" to the stories than many of the Grimm fairy tales.
As I mentioned, the Brer Rabbit stories themselves are rooted in Ghanian fables. It would be good to see them rehabilitated in a different narrative frame.

Quote:
Growing up in the north, I had no idea why the rabbit was upset that the tar baby wouldn't return a greeting. Having moved to the south, it now is completely obvious to me. Most transaction start with a "How are you?" and a "Fine, how about you?" - including checking out at a store. That isn't stereotype, that is reality.
My daughter spent some time as a call center rep for a large insurance company. She often took calls from police officers at the scene of automobile accidents. She describes one occasion she received a call from a police officer who, by his accent, was clearly Southern (and identified his location as being in Alabama).

She said he immediately rushed headlong into the details of the accident, then about three sentences in, he suddenly stopped in mid-sentence. He paused for a moment, then he said, "Ma'am, I am so sorry. I totally forgot myself. Hello, how are you? Well, that's fine, just fine. Now, the reason I called..."

Old 02-27-2021, 11:57 AM

10,366 posts, read 8,001,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
As I mentioned, the Brer Rabbit stories themselves are rooted in Ghanian fables. It would be good to see them rehabilitated in a different narrative frame.
I'm not sure a narrative frame is even needed (we usually don't use one for Aesop's Fables or other collections of folk tales). A simple introduction about the history of the stories, and perhaps about the similarities of B'rer Rabbit to other trickster figures who get by using their wits (such as Coyote in Native American stories and Bugs Bunny) would probably suffice. The actual stories are great, and as you say it's a pity to see them being slowly forgotten.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:40 PM

17,605 posts, read 13,388,503 times
My favorite stories from when I was a kid.

I have an old VHS copy of the movie.

I watched it before answering this thread. Yes, it doesn't reflect "today's standards" but book (and video) burners should NOT be destroying and hiding from the past. We should learn from, and build a better life, the past

BTW, Disney stopped selling Song of the South in the US years ago. I bought mine in Canada!

And, I still loved the video. It brought back my childhood (that did not turn me into a racist or any cist)

Old 03-03-2021, 07:57 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,924,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I saw it multiple times when I was a kid (Wonderful World of Disney!) and really, the only the only thing that I remember is "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah".
Me too!

Old 03-03-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I'm not sure a narrative frame is even needed (we usually don't use one for Aesop's Fables or other collections of folk tales). A simple introduction about the history of the stories, and perhaps about the similarities of B'rer Rabbit to other trickster figures who get by using their wits (such as Coyote in Native American stories and Bugs Bunny) would probably suffice. The actual stories are great, and as you say it's a pity to see them being slowly forgotten.
I think it would historically instructive to know how and why those stories came to America.

Old 03-04-2021, 02:27 AM

138 posts, read 73,829 times
It's a great movie, I have seen it dozens of times in my childhood here in The Netherlands. Don't know if many people here know about the movie, but I guess so since I have a copy that was on television. Ofcourse, the animation parts were my favorite. But as a child I always saw the human components to be less 'bad' than most, and I still stand by that. Uncle Remus reminds me of my late grandfather, who was also a great storyteller. The housekeeper lady seems stressed out, but (in the movie) is actually happy with her job and cares for the family. The parents are upper class and get more human as the movie progresses.

Ofcourse, the whole slave and/or racial hierarchy topic is not a good one, everybody knows that. I have to add 2 things to that. First, this movie, which is great entertainment, is just a product of its time and should be regarded like that. Second, I have always wondered if there were more black people like the housekeeper lady, who seemed genuinely happy with their life as it was. I guess so, but the problem was more the lack of a choice...

Old 03-04-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterJ View Post
Second, I have always wondered if there were more black people like the housekeeper lady, who seemed genuinely happy with their life as it was. I guess so, but the problem was more the lack of a choice...
If there was no choice, "happy" is not a consideration. That's called "resigned."

Old 03-04-2021, 07:23 AM

29,753 posts, read 34,428,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If there was no choice, "happy" is not a consideration. That's called "resigned."
And that's the "product of its time" that we always hear about. In many movies and popular culture of the early 20th century, depicting happy enslaved Black people was not uncommon. Not because it was true, but because of the undercurrent of racism that believed that Black people were simple and couldn't take care of themselves, and thus were content in a system where they had no free will.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And that's the "product of its time" that we always hear about. In many movies and popular culture of the early 20th century, depicting happy enslaved Black people was not uncommon. Not because it was true, but because of the undercurrent of racism that believed that Black people were simple and couldn't take care of themselves, and thus were content in a system where they had no free will.
That makes such things valid objects of critical historical study...but not entertainment for children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies