Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 10:01 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,654,451 times

Advertisements

I mean depending on how jaded you are when it comes to horror...can you go into a movie expecting to be frightened by a movie that is safe for 13 year olds?

For me, i can only think of 1 movie that was a good horror film with such a rating: DARK SKIES-with Keri Russell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 05:56 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,371,773 times
Depends on the movie. As a genre, horror has a bad track record for quality. 95% of it is garbage. But there are some good PG-13 horror flicks. Such as:

A QUIET PLACE
THE SIXTH SENSE
THE OTHERS
WHAT LIES BENEATH
POLTERGEIST (was actually PG)
JAWS (also PG)

And if you want to include horror-comedies, you have to see:

GREMLINS (also PG)
EIGHT-LEGGED FREAKS (I love this movie)
TREMORS

I also should mention CRAWL, which was surpisingly excellent. This movie was rated R, but I'm not sure why. Language maybe? I would have loved this movie when I was ten years old.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:00 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,447,801 times
The PG-13 "horror" movie can be more cerebral with a few scary/gory parts thrown in. I don't like gore so yeah, PG-13 works for me.

Of course it can also be a bad way to get a broader audience buying in to it so they cut out the worst pieces but it's still one-dimensional gore with nothing else going for it.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:31 AM

1,342 posts, read 732,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
THE OTHERS
That was the first movie that popped into my head when I read the thread title. It relied on a good story to be scary like a lot of PG-13 movies do. The R ones tend to rely on gore and over the top brutality.

That said, I'm not a big horror fan anyway and tend to get scared easily. I might actually be scarred for life from some of the PG-13 movies I've seen like The Ring and The Grudge.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:25 AM

979 posts, read 584,287 times
Try Insidious. That proves a horror movie doesn't need gore to be scary.

It's all atmosphere.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:30 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,640,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I mean depending on how jaded you are when it comes to horror...can you go into a movie expecting to be frightened by a movie that is safe for 13 year olds?

For me, i can only think of 1 movie that was a good horror film with such a rating: DARK SKIES-with Keri Russell
Depends. Most horror films simply must be R-rated in order to work. Most of the time, cutting one down is like cutting the pepperonis too thick on a pizza, and they lack the crispy texture. Can't have that.

Tremors works pretty well. But most of the gore is monster-related. That's how they got around it.

Imagine the bar scene in Near Dark. Severen (Bill Paxton) dances on the bar and opens a guy's neck with his boot spurs, then drinks his blood and belches. It's raw. If they edited it so there would be no blood, it would lose its effectiveness.

A film like The Others doesn't rely on gore, but creeps. It works fine, as is. On the other hand, Guillermo del Toro's Crimson Peak can't.

I see no reason for Jaws or Poltergeist or even One Dark Night to be R-rated.

Dawn/Day of the Dead, the IT remake, and It Follows (one of the best recent horror films) have to be.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:31 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,640,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Depends on the movie. As a genre, horror has a bad track record for quality. 95% of it is garbage. But there are some good PG-13 horror flicks. Such as:

A QUIET PLACE
Good gimmick that's spoiled for future viewings. Lame ending.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:46 PM

19,769 posts, read 20,344,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post

It relied on a good story to be scary like a lot of PG-13 movies do. The R ones tend to rely on gore and over the top brutality.
Don't forget the nudity! lol

Old 02-22-2021, 04:56 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,175,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post

So I was watching Heath Ledger's Oscar winning performance in Christopher Nolan's the Dark Knight the other week, for probably the tenth time. Maybe twentieth.

That movie was PG-13. The malice and violence of the Joker was perfectly depicted, the dread of psychopathy and utter chaos. The violence was physical but not gory. I feel very little was lost.

This is not quite what you asked...but I thought they worked within their ratings "box" in that case quite well in the Joker's scenes and others. I'd call the Dark Knight a "suspenseful" movie with "mature themes" and certainly not horror. Anyone saying Heath's performance as the Joker was not frightening, though: they weren't paying attention to the absolute dripping malice. Very hard to top that in terms of sheer despair and, to my mind: horror.

Another perspective.

Old 02-27-2021, 06:07 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,093,585 times
I go in for all horror....of the classical type. Movies like SAW I would never touch. A movie doesn't have to be explicit to accomplish the effect. I was watching a Cannon (70s TV detective series) the other night where they were going to drown a man in his bath tub and the suggestions in the story were good enough for that effect.

I think Brinke Stevens said it best about that: In Dark Romances Vol. 1 (1990), I'm strapped to a torture device, like a rack. To show my agony, they have close-ups of my face, close-ups of my hands clenching and unclenching and also close-ups of my feet pointing and unpointing as I'm stretched on the the rack. I had to admit when I saw that footage that even my feet have talent! (from imdb)

Finally, one of the reasons why I do watch the classic horror flicks, such as those from Hammer, is that I am forever searching how I felt as a child back then, when everything was so exciting and I could do it on so little suggestion and a lot of imagination.

For example, now looking at "Premature Burial" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056368/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 as an adult, on the face of it, there is little to draw from. As a child, however, it was the source of so many passion fantasies that now I watch those flicks to see and feel what once I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies