Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 02:44 PM

19,808 posts, read 20,401,739 times

Advertisements

I thought this was a decent horror movie with an interesting story, being PG-13, and basically a "kids" movie. Graphics were pretty cool, too.

The Gate - 1987 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSgWFuyezE0

I did not see it as a kid, but I was still pretty impressed when I was saw it as an adult. This is one of Stephen Dorff's first movies - (found it free on tubi)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 06:56 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,379,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I mean depending on how jaded you are when it comes to horror...can you go into a movie expecting to be frightened by a movie that is safe for 13 year olds?

For me, i can only think of 1 movie that was a good horror film with such a rating: DARK SKIES-with Keri Russell
PG-13 horror films, sure. If they handle the psychological aspects of horror well enough, then that would be good.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:04 PM

31 posts, read 16,011 times
No reason that R rated gore is a more valid excuse for horror than psychological horror that doesn't require graphic violence or whatever.

My favorite horror/ghost movie is The Haunting (1963) which leaves everything to the imagination.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:07 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,527,405 times
I’m not someone who usually goes for horror. When I do (usually around Halloween), I’ll pick some of the more highly acclaimed movies of the genre, regardless of their rating.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:21 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,935,362 times
No. "Mentally" knowing the movie is PG-13 automatically ruins my expectation for any real horror. Although ratings nowadays for horror that is R is usually due to nudity or excessive gore (which isn't exactly "horror"), but even still, the PG-13 rating automatically mentally lowers my expectation for the movie being truly scary. I don't think you can make a truly frightening PG13 movie. At least I've never seen one.

All of the really scary movies I've ever seen have been R. Although, that's not to say that all R rated horror movies are scary.

Old 03-03-2021, 04:13 AM

1,032 posts, read 660,851 times
I almost automatically assume an R rating means gore, sex, harsh language. PG-13 means psychological focus on fear and despair, jump scares and more character driven story.

It just depends on what I am in the mood for and neither is a slam dunk recipe for success.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:43 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,980,573 times
I love horror movies, but really don't care for gore at all. One of the best horror movies IMO was "The Changeling" with George C. Scott, Melvyn Douglas, and Trish VanDevere. Truly creepy and unsettling, with absolutely no foul language, nudity or gore. Martin Scorcese calls this one of the scariest movies ever made. I agree.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:49 AM

22,975 posts, read 28,417,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I love horror movies, but really don't care for gore at all. One of the best horror movies IMO was "The Changeling" with George C. Scott, Melvyn Douglas, and Trish VanDevere. Truly creepy and unsettling, with absolutely no foul language, nudity or gore. Martin Scorcese calls this one of the scariest movies ever made. I agree.
Yup. Great movie.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:03 PM

1,976 posts, read 713,696 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbtUnOHAX3E

Siskel and Ebert offered smart perspectives regarding the new trend in trashy slasher movies with women as prey. As a woman,
it was nice to hear two men find these movies offensive. And when Roger Ebert described the creepy audience when he
saw, I Spit On Your Grave - classic and yuck!

Old 03-28-2021, 01:05 PM

197 posts, read 126,897 times
A lot of great horror films of the past are less than an R rating, or would be if they ever were rated.

Nosferatu (the 1922 version), for example. An absolute classic of the vampire genre.
Horror of Dracula (1958) and Hour of the Wolf (1968 - Ingmar Bergman's one delving into the horror genre) also come to mind. I don't think these films were ever rated, but they wouldn't get an R rating.

But I never watch horror for horror's sake. I like vampire films, and occasionally some other horror film catches my eye for reasons other than its genre. I will say that I appreciate the artistic freedom that an R rating entails, though there are plenty of films that would not benefit from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies