Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 03:33 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,583,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Actually, I think I'll sign up for this Netlfix DVD program soon:

https://dvd.netflix.com/

It's only $8/mo & I get mailed a DVD movie OR TV show, keep as long as I want, & get another 1 sent when I return the previous one. AND MAINLY, no leaving the cozy house to pick up & drop off!
This was the greatest invention when it came out. I would hand off movies my Mom wanted to see too and she would mail them back and then we'd get more.

No more blockbuster. No more late fees.

I used to like Redbox sometimes. But I was bad about gaining late fees, I could have just rented streaming for what the price ended up being.

Anyway, glad you found a solution that works for you. All the latest movies in your mailbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 04:11 PM

12,785 posts, read 15,005,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
This was the greatest invention when it came out. I would hand off movies my Mom wanted to see too and she would mail them back and then we'd get more.

No more blockbuster. No more late fees.

I used to like Redbox sometimes. But I was bad about gaining late fees, I could have just rented streaming for what the price ended up being.

Anyway, glad you found a solution that works for you. All the latest movies in your mailbox.

Thanks! Yes, I don't know why I never thought about this. I don't remember if I knew about this or not. This particular program started in 1998, but I'm pretty sure yrs ago, I subscribed to something similar. I think Blockbuster had a program like this back when they werew alive. Yeah, this is better than borrowing from the library because even though they're free, you still have to pick up & return & have a due date, which is a real hassle, so $8/mo in which you can cancel anytime w/ no contract

Old 01-03-2021, 09:18 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,999,941 times
Quote:
Actually, I think I'll sign up for this Netlfix DVD program soon:

https://dvd.netflix.com/

It's only $8/mo & I get mailed a DVD movie OR TV show, keep as long as I want, & get another 1 sent when I return the previous one. AND MAINLY, no leaving the cozy house to pick up & drop off!
It’s a great service (I’ve subscribed to it for years), and has a huge variety of movies available (many more than are available on the streaming service). Do understand, though, that it takes the latest films a few months to show up, as obviously they have to be released on DVD before the Netflix DVD service will have them available. But Netflix has such a large DVD library that you’ll never lack for something interesting to watch!

Old 01-03-2021, 11:00 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,583,604 times
Quote:
Thanks! Yes, I don't know why I never thought about this. I don't remember if I knew about this or not. This particular program started in 1998, but I'm pretty sure yrs ago, I subscribed to something similar. I think Blockbuster had a program like this back when they werew alive. Yeah, this is better than borrowing from the library because even though they're free, you still have to pick up & return & have a due date, which is a real hassle, so $8/mo in which you can cancel anytime w/ no contract
Netflix killed off blockbuster! BB's program like this was copying Netflix trying to stay in business. It didn't work.

Netflix had it down pat and was already 'the brand' for that I guess. I remember trying BB's version due to temporary price war, but in the end, they couldn't compete.

Genius idea whoever had it.

Though going to the video store had its charms. My Uncle went daily to the end of his life. Something to do. People to see.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:19 AM

Another thing to consider...the chain of theatres, AMC, has an On Demand service. It looks like NO monthly fee, you just rent or buy whatever you want for the price. Anyone have this?

Old 01-10-2021, 12:17 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,154,287 times
If you have a library card...

kanopy

Hoopla

Old 01-10-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyRox View Post
You could rent out the theater and get a private screening at some theaters. Check pricing. I saw Wonder Woman 1984 with a small group this way. Some theaters do drive ins depending on the weather. I saw Tenet in a drive in.

Thanks for the idea, but I'd probably never do this. I would imagine renting out the whole theatre is PRICEY, right? And probably even pricier in these COVID days since they know they don't have nearly as many customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
If you have a library card...

kanopy

Hoopla

Thanks, I'll check them out, but I'd still have to pick up & return them, unlike the Netflix DVD program, but thanks!

Old 01-10-2021, 09:35 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,034,064 times
Quote:
Thanks, I'll check them out, but I'd still have to pick up & return them, unlike the Netflix DVD program, but thanks!
Those are digital streaming services. You log in through your local library and borrow digital content over the internet. There is nothing to pick up or return.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:30 PM

Thank you Sundaydrive00. What's the difference between the two library streaming services? Or is it just that each library simply has 1 or the other?

I really need to get a Roku since probably not getting a new TV any time soon.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:04 AM

OK, I finally ordered a Roku Stick +, this one:

https://www.roku.com/products/streaming-stick-plus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies