Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 03:29 PM

12,801 posts, read 15,074,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You don't need a smart TV ... you can get a Fire stick or Roku for $30.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
This! As long as a TV has at least one HDMI slot, it can be used for streaming. Honestly, you don't want a Smart TV, because they quickly become Dumb TVs. Manufacturers stop updating the apps after two or three years, and then the apps don't work any more. It's a lot easier and MUCH cheaper to update a device you plug into the TV, like an Amazon Firestick, a Roku, a gaming device (XBox or Playstation), or a Blu-ray player.

Thanks guys. I do have an Xbox 360 gaming console. Will that work for most or all streaming services?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
There are dive-thrus.

Right, true. Maybe we'll try that one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 07:52 AM

10,380 posts, read 8,037,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks guys. I do have an Xbox 360 gaming console. Will that work for most or all streaming services?
Apparently it will work for some of them (but I don't know which ones). Check this out for more information: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/...os-on-xbox-360

Old 12-17-2020, 10:41 AM

10,380 posts, read 8,037,717 times
And if the Xbox doesn't have all the streaming options you'd like, pick up an Amazon Fire stick or a Roku for $30, and if the Roku and the Xbox have to share a single HDMI port, also pick up an HDMI switcher. They're cheap. You can get both at Best Buy, and the combined price will be less than $100 (probably under $50).

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/hdmi-swi...-need-to-know/

Old 12-19-2020, 05:34 PM

Thanks a lot Aredhel & the rest of you guys!

Old 12-19-2020, 08:32 PM

1,612 posts, read 880,058 times
I was able to realize a 20 year dream in 2019 by putting together a dedicated home cinema. My wife and I had subsequently largely stopped going out to the movies as a Blu Ray for $2 out of the Redbox is hard to beat in terms of quality and price. Still, there were a few films slated for last year we had planned to see in a theatre, either because of the sheer spectacle or it was something we didn't want to wait 90 days to see.

During the pandemic we've been buying and catching up on a lot of old movies that have been released on standard Blu Ray or Ultra HD and it's been quite enjoyable. I've bought a lot of films originally shot on a 65mm negative or in high quality processes such as Vista Vision as they look absolutely spectacular on my 4k screen. Let me highly recommend Universal's Alfred Hitchcock Classics 4K collection. Well worth the money.

Tenet just came out on Blu Ray and I rented it from Redbox last night. This is one I'm glad I waited on, because the problems many people report with ear splitting music and muffled dialog were both acceptable on my finely tuned (to my preferences) sound system. It certainly looked spectacular and while not my favorite Nolan film by a long shot, will be worth a 2nd viewing with my wife.

I'm not against streaming, and steam TV shows on a smaller TV on an almost nightly basis, but streaming still cannot match a well mastered disc in terms of video, and falls even shorter in terms of audio. I'm concerned that the demise or diminished nature of theatrical exhibition will cut the pipeline to physical disc. For example, the Tom Hanks picture Greyhound which was originally slated for June and was sold to and debuted on Apple + in July has no disc release scheduled 5 months later and may never appear on disc. I'm certainly not subscribing to Apple + to see it.

Old 12-20-2020, 02:35 PM

1,575 posts, read 890,778 times
Drive-ins will be the only theatres open when WW84 comes out in my place.

Old 12-21-2020, 10:09 AM

Take a History Class, yes, I've thought about signing up for Redbox. That is, IF I want to be out there always returning movies in public places. PLUS, these days, it's even more wiping down of DVD cases & DVDs that many other people have touched.

Lancerman, these days, I really don't like the idea of getting out of the cozy car to go som some (dirty, public) restroom. I'd rather just rent in my own comfortability & safety of the house, but I'll see.

Old 12-26-2020, 05:34 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,632,120 times
HBO now (as of Christmas Day) releases movies same day as theaters do. They don't seem to have added Fatman, I will have to rent that.

If anyone super frugal is reading, libraries get all the movies when they release to DVD/Blu ray. You can sign up for them as soon as they are out in theaters and be first in line when they release to disc.

Old 12-26-2020, 05:37 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,632,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Take a History Class, yes, I've thought about signing up for Redbox. That is, IF I want to be out there always returning movies in public places. PLUS, these days, it's even more wiping down of DVD cases & DVDs that many other people have touched.

Lancerman, these days, I really don't like the idea of getting out of the cozy car to go som some (dirty, public) restroom. I'd rather just rent in my own comfortability & safety of the house, but I'll see.
you can stream from redbox too. just compare prices to amazon and other places to rent from. No subscription needed.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
HBO now (as of Christmas Day) releases movies same day as theaters do. They don't seem to have added Fatman, I will have to rent that.

If anyone super frugal is reading, libraries get all the movies when they release to DVD/Blu ray. You can sign up for them as soon as they are out in theaters and be first in line when they release to disc.

I don't get HBO, Cinemax, etc., but yes, libraries are good since they give you a few days at least, right, unelss it's too hard to get due to other people always beating you to the punch. I wonder how many of the SAME copies of movies libraries usually have. I'd think about 5. I'l call my 2 local libraries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
you can stream from redbox too. just compare prices to amazon and other places to rent from. No subscription needed.

OK, thanks a lot. Do you know if Redbox works w/ an Xbox 360 gamning console (not to be confused w/ Xbox One)? And would I have to pay something on Xbox's end for that Live account or anything else?

Otherwise, if the XBox 360 won't work, I guess a Roku or Amazon Firestick's the next best thing to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies