Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 05:44 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,003,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
Roger Ebert liked those (so did I). If they were alive today, they'd be super busy with all the movie choices.

They both agreed (as did many) that Goodfellas was the best picture of 1990. But Gene Siskel said the Academy might pick the epic, Dances with Wolves
instead for Best Picture. He was right.
Yep. Goodfellas should have won, and Scorsese should have won for best director. I agreed with them on that. Dances with Wolves winning was an abomination. I disagreed with them on Do the Right Thing. They BOTH put that movie on their best of the DECADE list. And it said absolutely nothing to me.

What was the most fun about watching their show was when they disagreed on a movie, and the arguments it would start. I remember Siskel liking Falling in Love and Ebert did not. For weeks afterward, Ebert would needle Siskel about "liking" Falling in Love.

Do the Right Thing notwithstanding, I could generally expect a good movie if they both gave it a "thumbs up."

--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 05:44 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,689,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Yep. Goodfellas should have won, and Scorsese should have won for best director. I agreed with them on that. Dances with Wolves winning was an abomination. I disagreed with them on Do the Right Thing. They BOTH put that movie on their best of the DECADE list. And it said absolutely nothing to me.

What was the most fun about watching their show was when they disagreed on a movie, and the arguments it would start. I remember Siskel liking Falling in Love and Ebert did not. For weeks afterward, Ebert would needle Siskel about "liking" Falling in Love.

Do the Right Thing notwithstanding, I could generally expect a good movie if they both gave it a "thumbs up."

--
I liked when they disagreed about Full Metal Jacket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIa8wfo6k3Q

Old 08-14-2020, 10:52 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,886,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I liked when they disagreed about Full Metal Jacket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIa8wfo6k3Q
I still remember the sgt's marching chants:
"Good for you/ Good for me..."

Just dumb stuff he was making up.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:44 AM

22,938 posts, read 28,322,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I still remember the sgt's marching chants:
"Good for you/ Good for me..."

Just dumb stuff he was making up.
I saw FMJ in the theater with my dad, who was a Vietnam vet. He's a lifelong Kubrick fan, and he hated that movie. Not because it was anti-war, but because it was so blatantly unrealistic. I had to sit through the whole movie listening to ...

"That would never happen."

"Oh, come on!"

"There's no way he'd be allowed to do that."

"Puh-leeeeeze."

"Bull****! What moron wrote this?"

I was kinda surprised we didn't get kicked out, but I think the audience was more entertained by my dad than the movie.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:27 PM

12,400 posts, read 8,186,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I saw FMJ in the theater with my dad, who was a Vietnam vet. He's a lifelong Kubrick fan, and he hated that movie. Not because it was anti-war, but because it was so blatantly unrealistic. I had to sit through the whole movie listening to ...

"That would never happen."

"Oh, come on!"

"There's no way he'd be allowed to do that."

"Puh-leeeeeze."

"Bull****! What moron wrote this?"

I was kinda surprised we didn't get kicked out, but I think the audience was more entertained by my dad than the movie.
I had read the book it was Full Metal Jacket was based on and see two movies, the boot camp movie and then the Vietnam War movie.

Joker wrote it.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:36 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,283,369 times
Ebert got better with age. Better at least than this horrible tripe that he wrote.

Not surprisingly, Siskel hated it

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/43386008/

Old 08-23-2020, 07:53 AM

771 posts, read 348,611 times
I loved watching them growing up in the 80s and into the 90s.

After college in the 90s, I still loved watching them and watched until the last iteration of the show ended.

Old 08-23-2020, 04:40 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,718,922 times
Fun Fact:
In 1970, Roger Ebert wrote a column in the Chicago Sun-Times about a local mailman who was playing his music in area clubs during the evenings.

The mailman's name? John Prine.

Roger gave the as-yet-unknown musician an enthusiastic review.

https://www.rogerebert.com/features/...merican-legend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies