Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 12:06 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times

Advertisements

A movie studio tour doesn't really count, does it? But during my first visit to Warner Studios I was in an elevator with my guide--I was the only visitor on that tour--and in steps Ricardo Montalban. We were about to get out, when he stepped in front of us and flung his arms around us! He wanted to make sure we didn't walk right in on a "hot" set. Or maybe he just needed a hug...He was very nice. No bad vibes.

On one of our trips to the "Mother Lode Country," Highway 49 in Central California (the old gold rush towns) we saw Andie MacDowell having a good time with some friends.

At various Western festivals and events (Lone Pine Film festival, Kanaab Western Film festival, Westworld in Scottsdale, AZ, Silver Spur awards) we have met a number of old TV and Western movie actors such as Richard Farnsworth (loved that guy, such a gentleman), Dobie Carey, Clayton Moore, Robert Fuller, Will Hutchins, Keenan Wynn, Clint Walker (very very big), Hugh O’Brian, James Drury, Jock Mahoney, and a bunch of others. We've also met and talked with Hank Worden and Woody Strode at a semi-private event. The highlight was meeting Fess Parker at a private party, and getting our pictures taken with him. Incredibly generous man, not bothered at all by us being starstruck.

My dad met Doug Fairbanks when he was just 5 years old, and Doug was his hero. Years later, on a trip to Sweden, he claimed he had run into Cary Grant, his other hero. We thought he had seen a look-alike, but later it turned out that Grant actually was vacationing at that particular location in Sweden at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 09:42 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,144,564 times
Not quite twenty years ago, I found myself popping into LA. It isn't that big a deal, from Seattle: 2'45" flight, usually inexpensive...during normal times. Now? Crazy cheap.

I was after a certain brand of motorcycle leathers, American arm based in Torrance. I flew down, and was not successful, so came back a couple weeks later when the owner's son was in town from Japan. I met the American rep, his counterpart, at their satellite shop nearly. We were simpatico, it happens. Month or so later, I flew back for a third time to take delivery. That was the day I met one of Ronnie's customers: "Nic" Cage. You may have heard of him?

Ronnie had a few celebrity customers, the leathers are what those folks like 1) bespoke 2) highest quality and comfortable. Celebrities...many of them...do know quality, I must say. Nic(olas) Cage is known for his love of motorcycles, or was anyway.

I remember a wave of interesting "shock" seeing Mr. Cage rapping with Ron. Ron paused and said, "hey Nic, I want you to meet my new good friend (BB)!" Cage turned to me, smiled broadly and said, "Hey! How do you do!" and pumped my hand a few times. It was charming. I backed up mentally and said the least-dumb thing I could think of: "Your role in Leaving Las Vegas" was astounding, congrats on Best Actor!" W/o missing a beat, Cage nodded a few times and said "thanks so much." He then turned back to Ron and they continued their chat. I hung out awhile, and went to the lounge to wait. Mr. Cage left in less than a hour w/o further words for me, I watched him go out the door and heard a deep roar (probably from his chopper, maybe some sort of car, it's been c. 20 years).

Now THAT was kind of fun. I know Mr. Cage is a bit of a bad boy; I don't care about that and do enjoy his work actually. He keeps churnin' 'em out, to this day. My pal Ronnie? Lost track of him about five years later, 15 years ago, when the motorcycle gear company from JPN retreated from the US market. They were poorly marketed in this country considering the exquisite quality and customization potential of their product, which I thought a shame.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:57 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,553,298 times
Both of these in the 1980's - Merv Griffin walking down the street in Georgetown (DC). Just a quick Hi! as interaction.

While staying in downtown Dallas for work, I was going into the hotel as a small entourage was coming out. It was Paul Williams (short little guy in Smokey and the Bandit). As he brushed past me, he barked "No autographs!" It took me a moment to even realize who he was and I certainly didn't want an autograph. I had barely even looked at him as he was coming towards me. Can't imagine how he would be with someone who was actually a fan looking for an autograph.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:29 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,197,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Years later, on a trip to Sweden, he claimed he had run into Cary Grant, his other hero. We thought he had seen a look-alike, but later it turned out that Grant actually was vacationing at that particular location in Sweden at that time.
Neither here nor there, but years ago one of the SF columnists (Jon Carroll?) wrote a piece about just this, running into celebrities in public places. He noted that only one universally warranted the supreme accolade: a very quiet, "Damn... Cary Grant."

My mother met quite a few stars in the late era of movie-theater tours, and said they were always shorter than expected, distant (the women) or drunk (most of the men)... but never failed to mention those she got hugs from, such as Clark Gable.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:51 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,197,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Can't imagine how he would be with someone who was actually a fan looking for an autograph.
Warren Zevon, small club, about 1995. He left the stage and I was positioned near the exit door with a CD liner and a sharpie. As he approached, being surrounded by security goons, I said "Hi..."

He looked up from the floor as if I was someone who might be empowered to interrupt him, realized I was just an autograph hound, and gave the second-dirtiest look I have ever received in my life before sweeping out the door.

This was after his roadie (sorry, "aide de camp") had spent every intermission carefully arranging 32 Solo cups of water on top of the piano as if a NASA launch would fail if he got one out of line.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:28 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,198 times
Played softball with Matt Dillon in Central Park. Dumb as a box of hammers.

--

Old 06-12-2020, 10:20 AM

946 posts, read 564,763 times
I saw Lindsay Lohan in a pizza shop in Malibu. We exchanged glances but I didn't say anything

Old 06-12-2020, 04:28 PM

21,922 posts, read 9,491,642 times
Kate Mulgrew

Ed Asner

Bruce Dern

Linda Hamilton

Hillary Swank

Old 06-13-2020, 12:13 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
I forgot: Tom Cruise, dressed only in a towel (him, not me)! Val Kilmer, too. I was invited to visit the set of Top Gun at the Mission Beach Plunge in San Diego, and they were filming the locker room scene. Our neighbor was a member of the crew, and she'd gotten me some kind of day pass/visitor's permit. In those days I had no idea who Cruise was, and didn't particularly care. I just have a vague recollection of young guys in white towels.
https://youtu.be/VDeZ1Rqe8s8

Old 06-13-2020, 02:46 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,728 times
I maybe saw John Malkovich in Chelsea NYC about a year ago. I turned my head and got a dirty look that possibly meant "goddammit, another person who thinks I'm John Malkovich."

My family and Senator Patrick Leahy both bought our Christmas hams at the exact same time and store.

Oh yeah, one of the first "Survivor" winners showed up at a bar I was at, and the women flocked to him like crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies