Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 08:01 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,183,320 times

Advertisements

It's been a while that I went to the theater to watch a movie because it's so EXPENSIVE!! Any way a lot of the movies seem to have simultaneous showings on streaming TV now, also the time between movie release and DVD release is sometimes just a few weeks. Remember when it took over a year or two before we could see a movie out of the theater? It's just a few weeks now and sometimes you can buy the DVD or rent on streaming for the family at far less the price of actually going to the theater and you have nice freshly made popcorn or even a full course meal. I know it isn't the same but it's more comfortable, can go use your own bathroom. No worries about parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 07:54 AM

26,844 posts, read 27,010,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Do you still go to the movies in theaters? If so how often?
Yes, but mostly in December and January, when the Academy award nominated films come out. If they could come up with some decent films all year (e.g. What happened to the summer blockbusters? They're all sequels or superhero movies), some of us would go to theaters more often.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:48 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,161,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Do you still go to the movies in theaters? If so how often? Me personally I don't think I go to the movies more than maybe twice a year. It has gotten so expensive and at my age I no longer find it fun. I am not crazy about crowds and people talk on their cellphones and all that. I can get a good price once a week but if I want popcorn and a drink I am looking at $20.00 easily and then I still have to drive home. Nowadays I reserve trips to the theaters to watch movies that I consider special. Other than that I can wait a couple of months when they come out on video and watch them comfortably in my pajamas at home on my 55 inch tv. I am not picky about the surround sound so that is no big deal. Next year I will.upgrade to an 82 inch tv and then I might never set foot in a movie theater ever again. When I do go to the theater it is on Tuesday night at the last showtime around 10PM and I am always there with maybe 2 other people and the rest of the theater is empty. I like that. One more rule for me is I never go on opening night or week. I wait at least a couple of weeks before I go. How about you?
Yes, I go.

I probably average about a movie a week or more. Like you, I wait to go - and then there are less likely to be people on their cells. Unlike you, I sneak in any snacks. I can't imagine paying those prices for sodas, for instance.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:12 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,912,790 times
My wife and I go to movies once or twice a month, but that depends on whether there is a movie we really want to see. Of course, some months more than others. Last month, nothing. This month once (although that one sucked). Next month, looks like it might be a movie every week.

We make it "dinner and a movie" at Studio Movie Grill, so we'll likely spend $50 for the evening.

Unless I order a margarita pitcher. But that's pretty rare.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:37 PM

17,408 posts, read 12,368,997 times
Had pretty much stopped going. Then we moved to an area with excellent reserved seating in the form of couches in 21+ lounges with full bar and menu service. Bringing a living room experience to the big screen. Then the Marvel and Star Wars movies started coming out and all that together was enough to get me back to the movies a few times a year.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:52 AM

23,651 posts, read 14,126,516 times
I use to be a movie going addict. It gave me escapism for 90-120 minutes.

Around 1993, though, it died out primarily because the local in town theaters disappeared for the mega places on the outskirts of town. Add to it how unpleasant the audience was didn't help.

It finally turned into that I only went to movies as part of family gatherings, such as when everyone got together at Mom's and after Mom's sickness, that stopped about in 2009.

There is something else as well in that I stopped watching TV about 2008 (English), I rarely know what is playing anymore.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:29 AM

5 posts, read 975 times
My boyfriend and I go around 5 times a year to the cinema. We really like it.

I'm not a big fan of clubbing or drinking so I prefer to spend my "outing money" on the cinema.

We also have a projector at home but it's still a big difference in my eyes. The big(er) screen, the reaction of the audience, the darkness and the fact that you can't pause it whenever you want is really adding to the experience for me.
Also in Switzerland (Where I live) many people go to the cinema, so each time we go it's at lease half full.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:40 PM

85 posts, read 84,807 times
Used to but don't have the time anymore. Would rather just wait and get whatever it is I want to see when it's out on Blu. Even the big ones the last few years I felt I absolutely had to see when they released I ended up not going to as it was just too much of a hassle at the time.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,995,049 times
Yes I have A-List through AMC. AMC is my local theater so going either twice or three times a months (depending when you see movies and how you see movies) it pays for itself. I saw 38 (36 individual films and one I forgot to cancel) last year. Without including upcharges for IMAX or Dolby Cinema (I saw MANY in IMAX if offered and at least two in Dolby), I saved roughly 100+ through A-List this past year.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:04 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,152,322 times
I've been to the theater about 7 times since Dec '95. (and probably only about 2 or 3 times in the 90s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies