Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 04:26 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

I'll pass. I truly liked the early King books, and I also liked The Green Mile and the Mr. Mercedes series, but I hated the new "It" movie, and I don't think I would like the new "Pet Sematary" movie any better. The new "It" was just too gross and bloody for me, and I think "Pet Sematary" will be equally revolting to me. I am a bit disappointed, though, because the acting looks like it will be wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 05:40 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. 'Pet Semetary' was the only King book that really gave me the willies.

When I read it, I was a father with young children of the same age, and I would have done exactly what the father in the book did.

I would have been just as horrified as that father was, but I would have done it anyway, just like him.

I had to stop reading the book for a while because it was keeping me awake at nights thinking about it.

Steven King once said in an interview that the concept came 20 years before, and it bothered him so much he put it away until his own kids were well past the age for the dangers described in the book. He said it was the most personally terrifying book he had ever written.

I didn't think the movie came close to the book. I doubt the new version will do any better. It's one of those stories that simply works better inside a reader's head than it does viewed on a screen.
Thanks for whoever rep'd me on my earlier comments.

For me, I do not believe it is hyperbole to say: outside of Lovecraft, father of it all, Pet Semetary is one of the best, most horrifying, gripping horror novels of the 20th Century. Possibly, probably, the very best. I've thought about it and yes, there are a hundred great horror novels by Koontz (not a huge fan of most of his work, but some of it...), Straub, Dan Simmons (a personal favorite), etc. Some are gross, many tragic, a few really interesting, but...as others say, "damned if I wouldn't commit the exact same horrors that Louis (main character) did, for my family." And that, friends, is truly ****ing horrifying in itself.

Note: I do not mean best science fiction, I do not mean best drama, I do not mean best short story (for which I might nominate King's "My Pretty Pony," which made me weep like a girl on first read). Nope: horror. Find me something better. The Shining is great, Christine ditto, the Dead Zone both sad and supernatural, and the Stand is epic w/Randall Flagg the Walkin' Dude, but man oh man: sheer dread from page one to the very....last...word.

That's Pet Semetary. Yowza.

New version set for release on April 5, 2019, I see. I'll be there, which is setting myself up for a disappointment I'm sure....but every once in awhile, adaptations just WORK as do reboots ("Star Trek: Into Darkness" comes to mind, as a superb Kirk vs. Khan reboot).

Old 02-07-2019, 06:35 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
I'm sure even King would point to one of Richard Matheson's works as better, probably Hell House.

While it's more spooky than frightening, Fritz Leiber's short novel Our Lady of Darkness is a nonetheless engrossing and well-conceived example of 1970s-era supernatural horror, too.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:57 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
I liked the novel a lot, but I don't know that I'd put it in my Top 5 of King novels. The scene where Creed "goes beyond" is one of the creepiest and most primal scenes King has ever written. But judging the novels as a whole, there are a whole lot I'd put ahead of Pet Sematary.

As for the new movie, although I suspect I'll be doing an awful lot of eye-rolling, I would pay money to watch John Lithgow read a dishwasher instruction manual. Without a doubt one of the greatest American actors of all time.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:23 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Totally agree. Excellent book. I couldn't put it down--read it straight through. My brother read it in his house alone and he was terrified. Said his cat jumped on him while reading, and he leapt off the couch.

Lousy movie--really awful--like one star. Didn't even finish watching it. Such a mess.

Once again, they tried to translate King to screen and messed it up big-time.
I thought so too. It was a bad movie.

Except for Fred Gwynne as the old local neighbor next door. Gwynne was always the dumb cop in Car 54 Where Are You? to me until I saw him in the movie, and he was the only actor in it that was convincing.

Much respect for his abilities as an actor afterward from me. He's the only on e in the cast I remember now.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:45 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I thought so too. It was a bad movie.

Except for Fred Gwynne as the old local neighbor next door. Gwynne was always the dumb cop in Car 54 Where Are You? to me until I saw him in the movie, and he was the only actor in it that was convincing.

Much respect for his abilities as an actor afterward from me. He's the only on e in the cast I remember now.

I'm pretty sure that was Toody (Ooh..ooh).

Along with Gwynne, I also remember Dale Midkiff, who can usually be relied on to turn in a good performance, though he occasionally overacts.

I can't remember anyone else.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:29 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,018,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I'm pretty sure that was Toody (Ooh..ooh).

Along with Gwynne, I also remember Dale Midkiff, who can usually be relied on to turn in a good performance, though he occasionally overacts.

I can't remember anyone else.
Tasha Yar (Denise Crosby) from ST:TNG after she got killed off that series.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:58 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
We were discussing The Stand a while back.. I forgot to mention that a 10 episode miniseries has been greenlit for CBS All Access.

Perhaps it and Star Trek: Picard will air at the same time and I'll be able to subscribe for a while to watch both.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:17 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,344 times
I had no idea they are about to release another remake. It coincidentally came up in a recent thread about buying a home near a cemetery, lol.

Stephen King has given this latest version his stamp of approval, rating it high on the horror scale.

Like a moth drawn to fire, I will probably watch it, knowing the many sleepless nights awaiting thereafter.

Agree the novel was terrifying. Sounds like this version may be the best.

Last edited by mingna; 02-12-2019 at 01:27 PM..

Old 02-12-2019, 01:25 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
I had no idea they are about to release another remake. It coincidentally came up in a recent thread about buying a home near a cemetery, lol.

Stephen King has given this latest version his stamp of approval, rating it high on the horror scale.
I didn’t know they were doing a remake either. I haven’t watched the trailer, but I liked the original film enough to say OF COURSE I’ll go see the remake! I preferred Pet Sematary 2 (with Edward Furlong) over Pet Sematary though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies