Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 03:56 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Not a movie, but I think you have to toss the miniseries of "The Stand" in there.

Even though they couldn't put "The Kid" on TV and really had to dial alot of it back.. It was still an excellent miniseries.

The acting was incredible in it as well.. Ray Walston, Ossie Davis, Gary Sinise, Matt Frewer, Miguel Ferrer, Rob Lowe, Bill Faggerbakke.. I mean, I read the book again and I picture those actors while reading it.
I liked THE STAND miniseries, but I didn't love it. It had some pretty glaring flaws. The heroes for the most part were very well cast. The bad guys not so much. Miguel Ferrer is a great actor, but he was seriously miscast in that role. And the guy playing Flagg, who should have been terrifying, wasn't the least bit scary. He seemed like a guy who just got laid off from the Whitesnake roadie crew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 04:21 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I liked THE STAND miniseries, but I didn't love it. It had some pretty glaring flaws. The heroes for the most part were very well cast. The bad guys not so much. Miguel Ferrer is a great actor, but he was seriously miscast in that role. And the guy playing Flagg, who should have been terrifying, wasn't the least bit scary. He seemed like a guy who just got laid off from the Whitesnake roadie crew.

I'll disagree with you on Ferrer but yeah.. Gotta agree about Sheridan. But, he doesn't take away from the overall for me.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:26 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. 'Pet Semetary' was the only King book that really gave me the willies.

When I read it, I was a father with young children of the same age, and I would have done exactly what the father in the book did.

I would have been just as horrified as that father was, but I would have done it anyway, just like him.

I had to stop reading the book for a while because it was keeping me awake at nights thinking about it.

Steven King once said in an interview that the concept came 20 years before, and it bothered him so much he put it away until his own kids were well past the age for the dangers described in the book. He said it was the most personally terrifying book he had ever written.

I didn't think the movie came close to the book. I doubt the new version will do any better. It's one of those stories that simply works better inside a reader's head than it does viewed on a screen.
Totally agree. Excellent book. I couldn't put it down--read it straight through. My brother read it in his house alone and he was terrified. Said his cat jumped on him while reading, and he leapt off the couch.

Lousy movie--really awful--like one star. Didn't even finish watching it. Such a mess.

Once again, they tried to translate King to screen and messed it up big-time.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I'll disagree with you on Ferrer but yeah.. Gotta agree about Sheridan. But, he doesn't take away from the overall for me.
I like Ferrer, but he isn't suited to play a cruel redneck maniac. He would have actually been more suited to Flagg than Lloyd. For Lloyd you need someone like Sam Rockwell or even Dwight Yoakum.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:21 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I like Ferrer, but he isn't suited to play a cruel redneck maniac. He would have actually been more suited to Flagg than Lloyd. For Lloyd you need someone like Sam Rockwell or even Dwight Yoakum.

I certainly wouldn't call him perfect, but I thought he made the role his by the end. True to the book? No, they took some license with him, but.. Forgivable and still enjoyable in my eyes.

But, rather than focus on what they got wrong.. Look at what was right. Ray Walston, Bill Faggerbakke and Matt Frewer were dead on. Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis as well. Even the cameos were great. Turning Ray Flowers to a female and casting Kathy Bates? Great. Ed Harris? Great. Kareem as the monster shouter? The guy who played the Rat Man..

The two worst mistakes in casting in my eyes. Corin Nemec as Harold Lauder and as we said before.. Sheridan as Flagg. The damn crow acted better than Corin Nemec. especially since it wasn't a crow.

Now.. We talk about bad Stephen King adaptations. Langoliers. Hands down. And I'd probably put 11-22-63 on that list as well. Was not a fan of that. Specifically the ending episode. They basically skipped over the interesting part where they explained how the world wound up in the place it was in.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
But, rather than focus on what they got wrong.. Look at what was right. Ray Walston, Bill Faggerbakke and Matt Frewer were dead on. Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis as well. Even the cameos were great. Turning Ray Flowers to a female and casting Kathy Bates? Great. Ed Harris? Great. Kareem as the monster shouter? The guy who played the Rat Man..
All true. I could even get past the less than perfect Harold Lauder. But Flagg was central, man. You can't cast John Ritter as Dracula and expect to have a scary vampire movie. Flagg in THE STAND was seriously miscast. I've seen that actor in other things where he did just fine. But as Flagg? Nope. He was awful. It REALLY hurt the overall movie.

Quote:
And I'd probably put 11-22-63 on that list as well. Was not a fan of that. Specifically the ending episode. They basically skipped over the interesting part where they explained how the world wound up in the place it was in.
I loved the book. For the mini series, I never watched past the first episode. It just wasn't very good. Too many changes to the story that ended up being changes for the worse.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:46 AM

Making movie trailers without spoilers is apparently a lost art.

Anyhoo, here is the latest, and it shows that this new movie is a SIGNIFICANT departure from the book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=zK0LNzU2TQI

Old 02-07-2019, 10:20 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Stallone's in it?

Old 02-07-2019, 10:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
The movie is like 20 years old. Everything has already been spoiled.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The movie is like 20 years old. Everything has already been spoiled.
The original movie followed the book fairly closely. If you'll look at that new trailer, it's obvious this one does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies