Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 12:00 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
He was gold in that movie.

What's a Yewt?

He really was a great actor that got pigeonholed due to Herman Munster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 01:05 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Whoa!

I was fortunate enough to grow up as a young teen to young adult when Mr. King was at the very *top* of his game, with new novels coming out periodically each walloping 10x harder than the last: try these on for size, in no particular order, about 1978-88:

The Stand
The Shining
The Dead Zone
Christine
Pet Sematary
Different Seasons
Firestarter
Night Shift
Dark Tower (various, the Wastelands being my favorite by-far)

Maybe a ten year period for the group, above, and several were subsequently made into stupendous films (the Shining, the Shawshank Redemption). Others, mediocre (most of the rest, including Firestarter, the Stand mini-series, Apt Pupil, and of course:

...Pet Sematary.

The first version was OK, but somehow didn't catch the flavor of dread quite right. Very few King films do, the Shining being one of damn few exceptions.

But the book, now: that was one of very few books I've read cover to cover, in one day (or 24 hours), and thrown it across the room in horror at the very last word...sing it for for me, fans:

"...'Darling,' it said."

*shudder*

Ewwwwwwwwwww!! Talk about a story that grabs you by the liver from Page 1 and refuses to let go!

So if they get this movie right, and the casting will be key, they might actually have a horror masterpiece at hand. This story is ripe for it. Lithgow as as old Jud is a masterful first step. That broody actor Jason Clark as Louis, the main character, will be an interesting choice. The story is the rest of the characters, we might say.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:59 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Looks promising, I also like the lead actor.

Hollywood sometimes has this incredibly annoying tendency to 'reboot' older horror movies by upping the gore content and other explicit scenes.

While the original certainly had some gruesome moments, it was more of that creepy, disturbing vibe to it than assaulting the viewer with nonstop bloody CGI.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:24 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
"Pet Sematary" was my favorite Stephen King novel, but I can't even remember seeing the movie. If I did, it must not have impressed me very much. I have found most of the movie versions of Stephen King novels to be real disappointments, but I may give this one a shot.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:36 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Whoa!

I was fortunate enough to grow up as a young teen to young adult when Mr. King was at the very *top* of his game, with new novels coming out periodically each walloping 10x harder than the last: try these on for size, in no particular order, about 1978-88:

The Stand
The Shining
The Dead Zone
Christine
Pet Sematary
Different Seasons
Firestarter
Night Shift
Dark Tower (various, the Wastelands being my favorite by-far)

Maybe a ten year period for the group, above, and several were subsequently made into stupendous films (the Shining, the Shawshank Redemption). Others, mediocre (most of the rest, including Firestarter, the Stand mini-series, Apt Pupil, and of course:

...Pet Sematary.

The first version was OK, but somehow didn't catch the flavor of dread quite right. Very few King films do, the Shining being one of damn few exceptions.

But the book, now: that was one of very few books I've read cover to cover, in one day (or 24 hours), and thrown it across the room in horror at the very last word...sing it for for me, fans:

"...'Darling,' it said."

*shudder*

Ewwwwwwwwwww!! Talk about a story that grabs you by the liver from Page 1 and refuses to let go!

So if they get this movie right, and the casting will be key, they might actually have a horror masterpiece at hand. This story is ripe for it. Lithgow as as old Jud is a masterful first step. That broody actor Jason Clark as Louis, the main character, will be an interesting choice. The story is the rest of the characters, we might say.
Pet Sematary was one of King's best novels. Think about it: What do kids want when their pets die? No, Mom and Dad, lol they don't want another one. They want the SAME one back. That's what happens In PS--with pets and people--but when they come back, they're not quite right.

Horrifying novel, which didn't translate well to the screen--it came off as ridiculous. I might just give the new one a try. That's how much I liked the novel.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:52 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18k7U3vSYyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Dnrd4pvTo

Old 10-12-2018, 06:17 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,263,704 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3J0iwwsq-w

Old 10-12-2018, 12:32 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Pet Sematary was one of King's best novels. Think about it: What do kids want when their pets die? No, Mom and Dad, lol they don't want another one. They want the SAME one back. That's what happens In PS--with pets and people--but when they come back, they're not quite right.

Horrifying novel, which didn't translate well to the screen--it came off as ridiculous. I might just give the new one a try. That's how much I liked the novel.
Yup. 'Pet Semetary' was the only King book that really gave me the willies.

When I read it, I was a father with young children of the same age, and I would have done exactly what the father in the book did.

I would have been just as horrified as that father was, but I would have done it anyway, just like him.

I had to stop reading the book for a while because it was keeping me awake at nights thinking about it.

Steven King once said in an interview that the concept came 20 years before, and it bothered him so much he put it away until his own kids were well past the age for the dangers described in the book. He said it was the most personally terrifying book he had ever written.

I didn't think the movie came close to the book. I doubt the new version will do any better. It's one of those stories that simply works better inside a reader's head than it does viewed on a screen.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:13 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I didn't think the movie came close to the book. I doubt the new version will do any better. It's one of those stories that simply works better inside a reader's head than it does viewed on a screen.
That's true of most of his books. He's done some great books over the years, but very few have been made into great movies --- and the ones that did all tended to depart from the books, sometimes significantly.

Good movies from Stephen King books:

CARRIE
THE SHINING
THE DEAD ZONE
DOLORES CLAIBORNE (actually better than the book)
THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (also better than the book)
STAND BY ME (way better than the novella)
GERALD'S GAME (I was pleasantly surprised at how good this movie was.)

The '70s version of 'SALEM'S LOT and the '80s version of CHILDREN OF THE CORN have their moments, but in the end are not very good movies.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:37 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
That's true of most of his books. He's done some great books over the years, but very few have been made into great movies --- and the ones that did all tended to depart from the books, sometimes significantly.

Good movies from Stephen King books:

CARRIE
THE SHINING
THE DEAD ZONE
DOLORES CLAIBORNE (actually better than the book)
THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (also better than the book)
STAND BY ME (way better than the novella)
GERALD'S GAME (I was pleasantly surprised at how good this movie was.)

The '70s version of 'SALEM'S LOT and the '80s version of CHILDREN OF THE CORN have their moments, but in the end are not very good movies.

Not a movie, but I think you have to toss the miniseries of "The Stand" in there.

Even though they couldn't put "The Kid" on TV and really had to dial alot of it back.. It was still an excellent miniseries.

The acting was incredible in it as well.. Ray Walston, Ossie Davis, Gary Sinise, Matt Frewer, Miguel Ferrer, Rob Lowe, Bill Faggerbakke.. I mean, I read the book again and I picture those actors while reading it.

They had planned to do a 3 or 4 movie version of it a few years back.. But that apparently fell through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies