Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 05:11 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,636,663 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/MovieMantz/statu...18968960532480
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 05:55 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,636,663 times
3:10 to Yuma, The Wolverine and Logan director James Mangold will helm the Boba Fett solo film.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:18 AM

22,947 posts, read 28,346,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
3:10 to Yuma, The Wolverine and Logan director James Mangold will helm the Boba Fett solo film.
Mangold is good, but I want a Boba Fett movie like I want a sequel to Adventures in Babysitting.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:32 AM

Much to my surprise, I thoroughly enjoyed SOLO. Granted, I went in with very low expectations, but it was a load of fun.

It wasn't perfect. The first half of the movie has some gaping plot holes and leaps in logic that still have me scratching my head. The film's McGuffin in particular is super weak, and Act 1's big action sequence makes no sense at all.

Dialogue in the first half is also REALLY bad. STAR WARS is infamous for bad dialogue, but considering this was written by Kasdan, I was a little stunned at how amateurish a lot of the first half's dialogue was. Characters constantly explained to each other things they both already knew simply so the audience gets the info. "Han, we have to get X so that we can get off this planet and live happily ever after!" "Yeah, but X is guarded by Y and if they catch us we're dead." Thank you, Darth Obvious.

The story's main villain isn't bad. He's just ... bland. No criticism of Paul Bettany, but it's really obvious this character came in and was thrown together last minute. Bettany is doing his best, but the script and design aren't giving him much to work with.

But the rest of the movie was good enough to make up for those weaknesses.

Alden Ehrenreich is good in the role. No, he isn't doing a Harrison Ford impression. Nor should he. He's playing young Han, and he does it well.

Chewbacca is great, and his entrance is fantastic. By far the highlight of Act 1.

The music is really, really good, much to my surprise. I was a little disappointed in ROGUE ONE's music, which was mostly serviceable if bland filler. SOLO's score has many memorable bits. Besides the usual STAR WARS themes we all know, there are moments of a children's choir and A LOT more percussion than has ever been in a SW movie.

Act 3 is where the movie finally takes off and shines. The last half hour in particular really nail the Western homage than a Han Solo movie should.

The movie LOOKS fantastic. Yeah, Corellia is an obvious BLADE RUNNER rip-off, but if you're gonna steal, at least steal from the best. Well done. The other planets are great too. There are many shots in this movie that are genuinely beautiful and reminded me of the more spectacular New Zealand scenes in The Fellowship of the Ring.

Other FYI ...

There is no after credits scene. You can get up and leave unless you enjoy reading credits.

Yes, there is a surprise appearance of a known character from previous movies that is pretty obviously setting up a sequel. But it's not the character the online rumor mill has been spouting. Granted, I saw this movie with a theater full of STAR WARS nerds, but there was an collective gasp and moments of applause when this character appeared.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:52 AM

28,697 posts, read 18,866,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Much to my surprise, I thoroughly enjoyed SOLO. Granted, I went in with very low expectations, but it was a load of fun.

It wasn't perfect. The first half of the movie has some gaping plot holes and leaps in logic that still have me scratching my head. The film's McGuffin in particular is super weak, and Act 1's big action sequence makes no sense at all.

Dialogue in the first half is also REALLY bad. STAR WARS is infamous for bad dialogue, but considering this was written by Kasdan, I was a little stunned at how amateurish a lot of the first half's dialogue was. Characters constantly explained to each other things they both already knew simply so the audience gets the info. "Han, we have to get X so that we can get off this planet and live happily ever after!" "Yeah, but X is guarded by Y and if they catch us we're dead." Thank you, Darth Obvious.

The story's main villain isn't bad. He's just ... bland. No criticism of Paul Bettany, but it's really obvious this character came in and was thrown together last minute. Bettany is doing his best, but the script and design aren't giving him much to work with.

But the rest of the movie was good enough to make up for those weaknesses.

Alden Ehrenreich is good in the role. No, he isn't doing a Harrison Ford impression. Nor should he. He's playing young Han, and he does it well.

Chewbacca is great, and his entrance is fantastic. By far the highlight of Act 1.

The music is really, really good, much to my surprise. I was a little disappointed in ROGUE ONE's music, which was mostly serviceable if bland filler. SOLO's score has many memorable bits. Besides the usual STAR WARS themes we all know, there are moments of a children's choir and A LOT more percussion than has ever been in a SW movie.

Act 3 is where the movie finally takes off and shines. The last half hour in particular really nail the Western homage than a Han Solo movie should.

The movie LOOKS fantastic. Yeah, Corellia is an obvious BLADE RUNNER rip-off, but if you're gonna steal, at least steal from the best. Well done. The other planets are great too. There are many shots in this movie that are genuinely beautiful and reminded me of the more spectacular New Zealand scenes in The Fellowship of the Ring.

Other FYI ...

There is no after credits scene. You can get up and leave unless you enjoy reading credits.

Yes, there is a surprise appearance of a known character from previous movies that is pretty obviously setting up a sequel. But it's not the character the online rumor mill has been spouting. Granted, I saw this movie with a theater full of STAR WARS nerds, but there was an collective gasp and moments of applause when this character appeared.
Is the droid actually named SJW?

Old 05-25-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Is the droid actually named SJW?
Heh. No. But that part is played entirely for comic relief. In fact, it's so over the top that I think it was poking fun at the SJWs. I'm curious to see if they're canny enough to get the joke. I doubt it. SJWs aren't exactly known for their sense of humor.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark s. View Post
heh. No. But that part is played entirely for comic relief. In fact, it's so over the top that i think it was poking fun at the sjws. I'm curious to see if they're canny enough to get the joke. I doubt it. Sjws aren't exactly known for their sense of humor.
:d

Old 05-25-2018, 09:24 AM

125 posts, read 81,740 times
Quote:
Other FYI ...

Thank you!

Old 05-25-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Heh. No. But that part is played entirely for comic relief. In fact, it's so over the top that I think it was poking fun at the SJWs. I'm curious to see if they're canny enough to get the joke. I doubt it. SJWs aren't exactly known for their sense of humor.
I wouldn't be surprised if SJWs fall prey to the Archie Bunker Syndrome. But...there is also another trope they claim typical of a male director--the same one they're upset about with Deadpool 2--and that will clue them in.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, it actually was. It was a serviceable heist movie.

Quote:

Which one are you talking about?

Umm. Well, if there was applause, it must have been the first one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies