Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 07:12 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times

Advertisements

I think movies like this are great even more so because those watching it are stumped as to who is who, unlike todays movies where you can pick out the baddie 5 mins into the movie. Some people won't watch a movie that's smarter then they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 09:24 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,194,055 times
It is a great movie, although the director and lead actor are perverted jerks.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:46 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,522,638 times
This is one of my personal top five movies. But I enjoyed most of the movies that came out like around 94-96. Clerks, Pulp Fiction, Usual Suspects, Fargo, these were movies that for me personally were so different than what I had been used to, and also smart and entertaining. What I liked most about the Usual Suspects, is that you still don't know what is true and what really happened. Even the director and the writer got in an argument about it. It may not be everyone's cup of tea and that's fine, but it will always be one of my favorites. Hell, I was even late for my wedding, watching that movie at my cousins house...maybe that's one of the reasons I am not married anymore LOL.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:04 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
A lot of people love it and consider it a classic, but I don't see what the big deal is. My friends like it too and I asked them but they said they just really like it. But what's make it such a classic, since I myself feel it's just a very average, or even below average thriller pretty much, and not not sure where all the awe for the film is coming from.

What do you think?
Not awe. Nevertheless, I think it works well, it's clever, it has very memorable characters - but I think it might be a movie best seen on a big screen in a theater, not at home.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:07 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,074,213 times
Oh okay. Maybe I need to watch it again with a different mindset cause I just found it to be nothing more than a very routine whodunnit story, and nothing more, at least on a first viewing.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:56 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Wasn't the trendy term, "Sunshine Noir" back then?

Anyway, it was a very entertaining film but I would not term it a classic.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:41 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,319,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
A lot of people love it and consider it a classic, but I don't see what the big deal is. My friends like it too and I asked them but they said they just really like it. But what's make it such a classic, since I myself feel it's just a very average, or even below average thriller pretty much, and not not sure where all the awe for the film is coming from.

What do you think?
I liked the movie very much and I thought it was mildly suspenseful and leading up to some exciting revelation at the end...but it never came, it just never happened.

I must have watched that movie at least several times more, the whole time thinking to myself how stupid I must be because I JUST NEVER GOT 'IT'.

To this day, I still don't 'get' that movie!

But I now know that I will never watch it again and too bad, so sad for 'them' because I like to buy movies and I wouldn't buy this movie brand new for one penny.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:11 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
"Láttam a Keyser Sözét!" - said the Hungarian man in his last dying breaths in the hospital. From this point forward I was transfixed.

Benicio Del Toro. A master.

This movie was so well done - a great script with great actors. Casting for this film should have gotten its own award. Yeah, the recent revelations about some of them makes me think they are garbage people now. The movie is still a piece of art, though.

That moment when the detective pieces everything together from the clues in the interrogation room - excellent. I own this movie on disc, watched it many times.

If we want to do the "what's so great about ______?" thing, then I'd say what's so great about any Woody Allen movie? He has mannerisms, a face and a voice I simply cannot tolerate. He makes Janice from Friends seem like Lady Di.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:10 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
This movie was so well done - a great script with great actors.
Well, you're half right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
... I'd say what's so great about any Woody Allen movie? He has mannerisms, a face and a voice I simply cannot tolerate. He makes Janice from Friends seem like Lady Di.
Agreed. Allen is probably the single-most over-rated filmmaker of the past 50 years. The perpetual whiiiiine gets old quick. If all you have to offer the world is incessant whining, then please shut up until you grow up.

Every time I suffer through a Woody Allen movie, I wish Ahnuld was in the room.

Old 08-16-2020, 02:55 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,674,035 times
One of the more overrated movies in history for sure.

'Usual Suspects' at 25: How crime thriller duped us all with one of the all-time great twist endings

Quote:
But the film, which turns 25 Sunday, is still widely considered to own one of the greatest movie twists of all time (if not the single greatest), right up there with Psycho (1960), Planet of the Apes (1968), The Crying Game (1992) and The Sixth Sense (1999).

Its effectiveness is largely due to an intricate, razor-sharp screenplay by Christopher McQuarrie (who also won an Oscar for the film and went on to write multiple Mission: Impossible movies as well as next year’s Top Gun: Maverick) and the wolf-in-sheep’s-clothing performance by Spacey, who executed the perfect character sleight of hand (and leg).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies