Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 05:34 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
That isn't true at all. Virtually no one who saw the movie suspected that Soze was one of the group.
The clues were there. Some people had to watch the movie again to find them, some spotted the clues on first viewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 08:01 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,024,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
No.

You actually watch some real film noirs (Double Indemnity, The Postman Always Rings Twice, DOA, The Maltese Falcon) and read up some books and essays written by film experts and critics rather than base your knowledge you "found" on a poorly researched fake encyclopedia riddled with countless errors and misinformation.

Some links to get you started:

Film Noir - Films
https://filmsnoir.net/what-is-film-noir/
What is Film Noir?
It's neo noir. I know all about noir. I don't know why you want to argue. I didn't invent a genre.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:32 AM

666 posts, read 513,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
It's neo noir. I know all about noir. I don't know why you want to argue. I didn't invent a genre.
I'm not trying to argue with anyone. When I see people post misinformation, I correct it and I post links for everyone to read to counter the misinformation. That's all. Calling the Usual Suspects "neo noir" or any other type of noir is misinformation.

Last edited by EastFlatbush; 01-27-2018 at 09:07 AM..

Old 01-27-2018, 09:55 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
I'm not trying to argue with anyone. When I see people post misinformation, I correct it and I post links for everyone to read to counter the misinformation. That's all. Calling the Usual Suspects "neo noir" or any other type of noir is misinformation.
It's not iron-clad, but if you google "'Usual Suspects" neo noir" you get an awful lot of results, some even academic:

The Elements of Neo-Noir - Geekcentricity

https://www.nst.com.my/news/2016/09/...inemax-tonight

Rounding up "The Usual Suspects": The Comforts of Character and Neo-Noir | Film Quarterly

https://search.proquest.com/openview...ar&cbl=1821050

Old 01-27-2018, 10:17 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh really, do I have that much disdain? Well some of my favorite movies of all time are The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, For A Few Dollars More, The Skin I Live In, The Truman Show, Slumdog Millionaire, 12 Angry Men, Malcolm X, Schindler's List, The Battle of Algiers, Cell 211, Metropolis, M, Terminator 1 & 2...
OMG - what's so great about Schindler's List?!

Spoiler
Just kidding.

But yeah...sometimes you pick middling movies that really aren't that great with the assumption EVERYONE thinks it is and that you hope to deflate them and show them the truth. Seems disingenuous. Other times you do pick pretty good movies to play "what's so great about..." and no one's gonna change their mind.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:58 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,469,682 times
Quote:
A lot of people love it and consider it a classic, but I don't see what the big deal is. My friends like it too and I asked them but they said they just really like it. But what's make it such a classic, since I myself feel it's just a very average, or even below average thriller pretty much, and not not sure where all the awe for the film is coming from.

What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I agree with you. It's a very over-rated gimmick movie. Really good actors doing some really good acting in a silly script.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Same here, I never cared for the movie and it could be one of the more overrated movies of all time (based on viewer adulation).

My favorite movie critic Roger Ebert didn't like it either.

The Usual Suspects movie review

WHY "THE USUAL SUSPECTS" DOESN'T WORK

^Ditto what they said. Didn't do it for me either, didn't get the hoopla.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:40 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
Quote:
Well those are just my opinions on those movies, and perhaps I have unusual taste. As for not going to voice mail not everyone has voice mail. For example, I don't have voice mail since everyone texts anyway, and my phone just keeps ringing, if someone calls, cause there is no voice mail. Why is that so hard to believe.
While I do agree that many people would prefer a text message to a voicemail (myself included), dentists and doctors offices and others like to leave you voicemail appointment reminders, and doctors call you with lab results sometimes. The doctors usually call from a number you cannot call back so it's really annoying to miss their message. Maybe you're too young to have ever cared about this, but you'll want voicemail someday sooner than you may think.

I graduated high school the year Usual Suspects came out. I remember everybody in college was gaga over Pulp Fiction and Usual Suspects. The posters, the movie quotes. When I finally got around to seeing Usual Suspects (probably on VHS), I thought it was totally overrated. This may be partly because I always found Kevin Spacey too smug for words.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:13 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
While I do agree that many people would prefer a text message to a voicemail (myself included), dentists and doctors offices and others like to leave you voicemail appointment reminders, and doctors call you with lab results sometimes. The doctors usually call from a number you cannot call back so it's really annoying to miss their message. Maybe you're too young to have ever cared about this, but you'll want voicemail someday sooner than you may think.

I graduated high school the year Usual Suspects came out. I remember everybody in college was gaga over Pulp Fiction and Usual Suspects. The posters, the movie quotes. When I finally got around to seeing Usual Suspects (probably on VHS), I thought it was totally overrated. This may be partly because I always found Kevin Spacey too smug for words.
Also when you hear so much hype for so long nothing can live up to it. Many people who watch Breaking Bad after too long are like ok, it's good, but the way everyone was talking about it? eh.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:17 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
The film was so convoluted it was hard to keep up with the plot and who did what...therein lies the interest to me...

Old 01-27-2018, 02:29 PM

666 posts, read 513,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And...they're wrong.

For example, in the very first blog, the blogger calls Francois Truffaut's Breathless "neo noir:"

Quote:
Neo-noir must then begin some time after 1958, but there is much debate about which is the first American film that should be classified as such. Internationally, the first neo-noir film would have to be Jean-Luc Godard’s A bout de souffle (1960)
But it's not neo-noir. It's French New Wave. In fact, that is what the movie is most famous for. It's famous for being the definitive New Wave movie.

The rest of the blog entry makes the mistake of thinking that just because a movie has some elements of some other genre, it must be that genre. Every movie from the 1990s has a few scenes of chiaroscuro lighting like film noir did, because movies were heavily influenced by Silence of the Lambs, which brought that technique back. But that didn't make those movies "noir" or "neo noir."

And the reason why you were able to pull up multiple search entries that say that The Usual Suspects is a neo noir is the same reason why you'll find multiple entries incorrectly stating that goldfish swallowing was a "Roaring 20s" phenomenon or some other egregious error. In the end, on the internet, all roads point to Wikipedia. If Wikipedia posts misinformation, multiple websites will just incorporate its misinformation all over the place and then proceed to create entire entries with pseudo information. But Wikipedia is not the Bible of information and never was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies