Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 11:56 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,615,558 times

Advertisements

Christopher McQuarrie Reveals He's Talked Superman Movie Ideas With Henry Cavill

Quote:
Christopher McQuarrie Reveals He's Talked Superman Movie Ideas With Henry Cavill

The future of the DC Films Universe is currently a big unknown, but thanks to CinemaCon 2018, we now have some of the first official details about what's coming up that we've heard in awhile. Aside from some of the first Aquaman footage being revealed, a social media interaction also raised an interesting new possibility: a potential director for Man of Steel 2.

Writer/director Christopher McQuarrie (Jack Reacher, Usual Suspects) is currently at CinemaCon to promote Mission: Impossible - Fallout, the sequel to his highly-acclaimed Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation. Our own Brandon Davis caught up with Mr. McQuarrie, and asked him just how real the possibility of him taking on Man of Steel 2 would be. According to McQuarrie, his time on the Fallout set with Superman star Henry Cavill definitely sparked some ideas:

"Henry Cavill knows what it would be like. We had a a lot of time hanging out on set, and Henry's a huge fan of Superman. I can't help but talk story to people, so he told me his take on Superman and I thought it was really great, and I gave him my two cents. The tweet you're referring to is somebody asked 'Would you do it?' and I said 'Hey, they know where to find me.' Nobody's asked, but you know..."

Right now, Man of Steel 2 is still looking for a director. Last fall, we got word that Kingsman director Matthew Vaughn had been in early talks for the Man of Steel sequel, but nothing seems to have come of that. Others have kept up the call for Zack Snyder to be given the chance to once again handle the franchise, despite the massive controversy surrounding the first Man of Steel. With nothing set in stone (or even wood) at this point, the possibilities are still wide open.

So: would McQuarrie be a good choice?

The filmmaker is pretty much defined by his penchant for making hard-boiled thrillers like The Usual Suspects, Valkyrie, or Jack Reacher, but in recent years he's branched out, getting involved with massive blockbuster spectacles like Edge of Tomorrow and Mission: Impossible. It's probably the influence of McQuarrie's longtime friend Tom Cruise that has led to that growth, and after two Mission: Impossible films under his belt, he may indeed be ready for something like the Superman franchise. McQuarrie knows how to create awesomely tense sequences, and flourishes his work with crackling dialogue; that creativity and edge could make a Superman film that is very exciting and still edgy. The question is: would that be what the fans and DC Films executives want, at this point?

Man of Steel has remained controversial for its darker and edgier depiction of Superman, and many fans hoped that a sequel would return the character to friendlier and more heroic light. If McQuarrie is running things that's still possible, but it definitely falls outside his usual wheelhouse.
Yes, please. No more Donner "tributes," i.e. rehashes.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:24 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=F-7Nvmd0178

Old 04-27-2018, 12:28 PM

22,915 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Nothing on McQuarrie's resume excites me about his involvement in a movie. None of his movies have wowed me. As a director he isn't bad. He's just there.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Nothing on McQuarrie's resume excites me about his involvement in a movie. None of his movies have wowed me. As a director he isn't bad. He's just there.
One thing you're missing: the lack of cheese. Singer? Cheese. Whedon? Cheese. Vaughn? He's good, but he could inject some cheese.

I don't want cheese. To see what happens when a character gets cheesed down, watch Josstice League.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:40 PM

I don't think there are enough pool parties with naked young men to tempt Singer into directing. Whedon needs to go back to making TV for teenage girls. Vaughn is good, but I don't know that he'd be right for Superman.

DC needs to find a director who makes great movies but has never done a sci-fi / action adventure. Find talent who is hungry to make a mark in the genre, much like Favreau did with the first IRON MAN. A year ago, I might have championed Rian Johnson, but after THE LAST JEDI I'm not so sure.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I don't think there are enough pool parties with naked young men to tempt Singer into directing.
Nice visual, MarkuS. LOL!

Quote:
Whedon needs to go back to making TV for teenage girls.
As I've said for years.

Quote:
Vaughn is good, but I don't know that he'd be right for Superman.
He's good, but after his recent remarks during talks of directing it (which must have not gelled), it's clear he's goin' ape for '78, and I. Don't. Want. That. Patty Jenkins accomplished exactly that with one scene in Wonder Woman and it was very cool. That's it. We don't need 2.25 hours of "Let's regurgitate Donner!"

Quote:
DC needs to find a director who makes great movies but has never done a sci-fi / action adventure. Find talent who is hungry to make a mark in the genre, much like Favreau did with the first IRON MAN. A year ago, I might have championed Rian Johnson, but after THE LAST JEDI I'm not so sure.
Favreau really dropped the ball with the sequels, though. I'll give him a pass for IM2 because the studio wanted it out ASAP, but IM3 oozed too much silly.

Rian would be a good director, but either he'd have to not be messed with, as he clearly was on The Last Jedi, or he'd have to not write and only direct. I wasn't too jazzed with the Convoy in Space premise of TLJ.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Favreau really dropped the ball with the sequels, though. I'll give him a pass for IM2 because the studio wanted it out ASAP, but IM3 oozed too much silly.
IM2 was more Marvel and Downey's fault than Favreau's. Favreau neither wrote nor directed IM3.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
IM2 was more Marvel and Downey's fault than Favreau's. Favreau neither wrote nor directed IM3.
Oh, right. I forgot they handed it off to their buddy, Shane Black. HE, along with Downey, is the reason I don't like it. It was too silly.

Yes, IM2 was rushed, hence the pass. I don't want to drag the guy behind a pick-up down a gravel road or anything, the way you guys lie awake at night dreaming of ways to torture Zack.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Yes, IM2 was rushed, hence the pass. I don't want to drag the guy behind a pick-up down a gravel road or anything, the way you guys lie awake at night dreaming of ways to torture Zack.
I've got nothing against Snyder personally. I have said many times that I thought his remake of DAWN OF THE DEAD was better than Romero's original.

Snyder is a great visual director. No doubt. He just doesn't have any story sense. He's all about the image --- which is a good trait in a director. But the man needs help when it comes to scripts.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I've got nothing against Snyder personally. I have said many times that I thought his remake of DAWN OF THE DEAD was better than Romero's original.

Snyder is a great visual director. No doubt. He just doesn't have any story sense. He's all about the image --- which is a good trait in a director. But the man needs help when it comes to scripts.
Zack co-conceived the story (not the screenplay) for Wonder Woman, and he co-wrote the screenplay (along with two other guys) for Watchmen.

Apart from some creative choices, that's it. He's been primarily a director. WB chopped BvS down to its theatrical running time, and then partially restored it for the release of the Ultimate Edition. Justice League got hacked from two movies to one, which was completed with the enlistment of hack extraordinaire Joss Whedon.

Actually, there's one more story to Zack's credit: Justice League Part 1 & Part 2 — co-plotted with Geoff Johns, whose credit was left off the movie that appeared in theaters, even though he freely said "we accelerated the story" (I took that to mean as "hacked down").

Story & screenplay writers of the DCEU films Zack has directed: David S. Goyer, Christopher Nolan, Scott Terrio, Joss Whedon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.