Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2018, 06:49 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,371,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Fair enough, but there's an unofficial policy when it comes to comparing live-action movies and animations.
Not in my country. Come on over. The weather is fine.

Seriously though. It's story that ultimately matters, not whether or not a movie is animated. Watch THE BREADWINNER. It is animated, but you'll be hard-pressed to see a better drama.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:10 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,643,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Not in my country. Come on over. The weather is fine.
Maaan, I'm not goin' nowhere near your jerkwater time-warpin' unincorporated edge of the so-called civilized wurldd!

Old 03-13-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Seriously though. It's story that ultimately matters, not whether or not a movie is animated. Watch THE BREADWINNER. It is animated, but you'll be hard-pressed to see a better drama.
Seriously, animated dramas aren't anything new.

Nor are animated dramas that don't feature human protagonists.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:53 PM

12,425 posts, read 8,217,577 times
Spike Lee wants in the game
Spike lee is looking to develop the Marvel character Nightwatch for Sony. With less of an obvious connection to other films than the Spider-Man universe Venom film I guess we have to wait for the results of Venom and the possibly MCU adoption of it to see if Spike Lee can work in a tied in franchise when push comes to shove.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:45 PM

Hello!

Quote:
Ava DuVernay to Direct DC’s Superhero Epic ‘New Gods’

Ava DuVernay is stepping into the superhero universe.

The filmmaker has come on board to direct “New Gods” at Warner Bros. as part of the studio’s DC Extended Universe. “New Gods,” based on the DC Comics series of the same name, is aimed at creating a new universe of properties for the studio. Created and designed by Jack Kirby, the comic was first released in 1971.

The movie marks the second major superhero tentpole directed by a woman, following another DC property: Patty Jenkins’ “Wonder Woman.”

DuVernay directed Disney’s “A Wrinkle in Time,” becoming the first woman of color in Hollywood to helm a live-action film with a production budget of $100 million. The time-travel fantasy has grossed $42.2 million in its first six days in North America.

The New Gods are natives of the twin planets of New Genesis and Apokolips. New Genesis is an idyllic planet ruled by the Highfather, while Apokolips is a dystopia filled with machinery and fire pits ruled by the tyrant Darkseid. New Genesis and Apokolips call themselves gods, living outside of normal time and space in a realm known as the Fourth World.

DuVernay tweeted last year that Big Barda, who is one of the New Gods, was her favorite superhero character of all time.

Half a dozen “New Gods” series have been published following the original. The most recent, “The New 52,” was issued in 2011.

DuVernay also directed the Oscar-nominated documentary “13th” and the civil-rights drama “Selma.” She is the creator and executive producer of the OWN series “Queen Sugar.”

“New Gods” would be a major addition to the DC Extended Universe, which Warner Bros. launched in 2013 to take advantage of the massive DC library and compete with Disney’s Marvel Cinematic Universe. The DCEU launched with 2013’s “Man of Steel,” followed by “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” “Suicide Squad,” “Wonder Woman,” and “Justice League,” which was the lowest grosser of the five titles, with $657.9 million worldwide.

“Aquaman,” starring Jason Momoa, is the next title in the DC Extended Universe, set for release on Dec. 21. The studio is also moving ahead with a “Wonder Woman” sequel with Gal Gadot and director Jenkins returning. The pic hits theaters on Nov. 1, 2019.

In the wake of the box office under-performance of “Justice League,” Warner Bros. is re-organizing the DC film operations by promoting Walter Hamada to president of DC-based film production in an effort to exert more quality control over its big-screen efforts. Toby Emmerich, who was promoted in 2016 to president and chief content officer at Warner Bros., worked with Hamada at New Line, which he ran before moving over to the main studio.

Emmerich was promoted early this year to the post of chairman of the Warner Bros. Pictures Group with oversight of worldwide theatrical production, marketing and distribution.

DuVernay is repped by CAA, and attorneys Gordon Bobb and Nina Shaw.

Ava DuVernay to Direct DC Movie ‘New Gods’ – Variety

Old 03-15-2018, 07:48 PM

Holy crap. That movie better be GOOD. I mean REALLY GOOD. Those are some of the best characters around.

I'm excited.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,979,931 times
Quote:
Eh, still not interested in D.C. They honestly need to stop production and go back to square one like Sony after ASM2.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:55 AM

What is "Square One"? Batman? The Batman will film next year.

A New Gods movie is great news. I didn't think we'd get one.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:
What is "Square One"? Batman? The Batman will film next year.

A New Gods movie is great news. I didn't think we'd get one.
Square One is going back to basics and knowing and actually staying true to the characters. I for one loved Batfleck in BvS, much like most of the film, but he wasn't there so much in Justice League. Flash was someone who was Wally West in personality but supposed to be Barry Allen and it just didn't work. Jason Mamoma has as much acting chops as his doppelganger Roman Reigns does as a promo in wrestling. I like Gal Gator as Wonder Woman and the guy who played Cyborg was good but that CGI in Justice League (Cyborg especially) ooked like bad computer animation for TV shows. And I don't want to be down on D.C., I love the Flash (probably a big reason I hated the Ezra Miller Barry is it isn't my Barry Allen) as more than most Marvel characters strangely enough. The problem is D.C. Is continuing down this DCEU path with no correction that people aren't filling up theaters like they should. How Black Panther made in what four days what Justice League made its entire US run, is beyond me. A mostly unknown to the movie going audience super hero beat out D.C.'s trinity and the big screen debut of The Flash who is more mainstream due to the CW show? How exactly does that happen besides a mess up with the DNA of the movies.

We had Steppenwolf and he was meh. Wasn't Steppenwolf the gateway into New Gods? If he wasn't done good, why should I be excited for the other New Gods?

Old 03-18-2018, 01:54 AM

Here is what I think D.C. to start fresh.
First, D.C. should stop producing films. Freeze everything for a year or two that isn't already shooting. I honestly don't even know why Shazam is going as scheduled after the Justice League failure. I will let Aquaman slide since it wrapped up by the release.
Second, get a Kevin Feige style guy in charge. WB has to let free-kick to this Feige like head of the D.C. movies. Maybe it is Geoff John's but they can't keep letting Suighara interfering with the movies. Dont get me wrong, Feige did this especially with Age of Ultron and a little bit with Dark World (leading to Patty Jenkins leaving) but nothing to the levels of say Suicide Squad or Justice League (though I can't say if those films would have been better with the director's vision before studio interference came into play.)
Third, this head should not to another origin for the Trinity. We saw a Wonder Woman origin, it isn't going to change much. In film, we saw Batman's parents die what 5 times (half are flashbacks in sequels) and Superman is a frickin' alien. We don't need to see those again for another 20/25 years. Even Green Lantern don't need one, just have Hal Jordan have the ring and explain the backstory. Flash maybe can do it Spiderman 2 style since it is known Barry is known Barry reads comics. Any other hero could be fair game origin wise.
Fourth, recast. Ezra Miller great actor and could be a very good Wally West, but he isn't Barry Allen, sorry. Ben Affleck was great in Batman V. Superman but was just getting paid in Justice League. Gal and Amy were good, but keeping them will just confuse the audience. Aquaman can be done by someone who can act. Superman has to be someone who is hard to cast but I know Henry Caville isn't him, even though we didn't stench of Clark Kent with him, I don't see that two sides of coin that is needed for him.
Fifth, don't make the movies dark just to be different. The Flash isn't a really dark comic like say the Gotham City based books are. Justice League followed the Batman V Superman look which was dark to the point of parody. We don't need all of that. If the tone of the character and the story calls for it to be dark, do it. Don't just do it to do it. And while we are at it, don't do a Thor Ragnarok and make a serious movie into a comedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies