Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2018, 11:31 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,623,116 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/realamberheard/s...26773242667008
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Hmm. Well, saw Aquaman. I wasn't all that impressed.

It didn't have any scene that gave me the feeling of "superhero" that Wonder Woman's "No Man's Land" scene. But I'll admit that was very rare--I can't think offhand of any other superhero film that did that, either.
Perhaps it's because the movie isn't structured the same way as Wonder Woman's. Aquaman's already been out there "superheroing" when the movie begins. The first scene in the sub is awesome. The action choreography is fantastic. Then there's "that scene in Italy." That was just nuts.

There are a plenitude of beats to support Aquaman's status as a superhero, and those do include moments where he expresses humility and regret.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:44 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,563,639 times
Saw it last night.

Enjoyed Jason Momoa and Amber heard although I wish their relationship was a bit more "thought out" if that makes sense.

Did not like Patrick Wilson's character at all. He just did not convince me of a villain. My son's who have read the aquaman comics wished they would have just stuck with Black Manta who evidently is the major protagonist in the comics. (lol, I never read them so I have to take their word on this)

Nicole Kidman? I enjoyed her at the beginning but didn't really see the need to bring her back. The second half of her being found could have been left out IMO and the movie would have been just as good.

I do think he qualifies as a super hero. All and all it was an enjoyable movie, DC still hasn't reached Marvel universe level yet but they are getting better with every movie.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:03 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Saw it last night.

Enjoyed Jason Momoa and Amber heard although I wish their relationship was a bit more "thought out" if that makes sense.

Did not like Patrick Wilson's character at all. He just did not convince me of a villain. My son's who have read the aquaman comics wished they would have just stuck with Black Manta who evidently is the major protagonist in the comics. (lol, I never read them so I have to take their word on this)

Nicole Kidman? I enjoyed her at the beginning but didn't really see the need to bring her back. The second half of her being found could have been left out IMO and the movie would have been just as good.

I do think he qualifies as a super hero. All and all it was an enjoyable movie, DC still hasn't reached Marvel universe level yet but they are getting better with every movie.
Jason Mamoa's AquaBro is a nice change from everything the comics have offered. He's rather like the new Thor-bro in that respect. Some characters just can't seem to play seriously on the screen.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Yes, Black Manta is Aquaman's classic archnemesis, in the same way Joker is Batman's (who doesn't appear in Batman Begins, but the sequel The Dark Knight), and the Red Skull is Captain America's (gone after just one movie). Aquaman's story is based on Geoff Johns' New 52 reboot of Aquaman.

Patrick Wilson is one of the best actors out there today. Sorry you didn't like Orm, but Manta will be back.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:32 AM

https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/sta...51859523051520

Old 12-26-2018, 10:39 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Yes, Black Manta is Aquaman's classic archnemesis, in the same way Joker is Batman's (who doesn't appear in Batman Begins, but the sequel The Dark Knight), and the Red Skull is Captain America's (gone after just one movie). Aquaman's story is based on Geoff Johns' New 52 reboot of Aquaman.

Patrick Wilson is one of the best actors out there today. Sorry you didn't like Orm, but Manta will be back.
That doesn't make much realistic sense to me.

Joker and Batman are pretty much equal in terms of intelligence and power, so their perpetual enmity is plausible.

But Black Manta is a guy in an Atlantis-tech suit. He's not Tony Stark, he isn't even Lex Luthor.

This newish Aquaman is not only hyper-powered himself but also has a high-technology nation behind him. Logically, Black Manta shouldn't be that hard to take out of the game, and certainly shouldn't be able to continue to be his primary arch-foe.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:20 AM

87 posts, read 58,427 times
I liked it.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
That doesn't make much realistic sense to me.

Joker and Batman are pretty much equal in terms of intelligence and power, so their perpetual enmity is plausible.

But Black Manta is a guy in an Atlantis-tech suit. He's not Tony Stark, he isn't even Lex Luthor.

This newish Aquaman is not only hyper-powered himself but also has a high-technology nation behind him. Logically, Black Manta shouldn't be that hard to take out of the game, and certainly shouldn't be able to continue to be his primary arch-foe.
What makes a villain? Must s/he always necessarily be a direct threat? What about innocents? What about those s/he loves? We saw this play out onscreen.

With regard to a conversation between Mera and Arthur:

Spoiler
I believe we get some foreshadowing when Arthur expresses his regret over leaving Jesse Kane, i.e. David Kane's (Manta) father, to die in the sub rescue. Jesse had just attempted to kill Arthur with a rocket, which made the latter take a quick time-out, burnwise.

That said, sometimes we do see villains do things that aren't defined by a power set. Everyone applauded Nemo in Civil War for being a regular guy who pitted various Avengers against each other without directly confronting them.

Additionally, as you mentioned, Manta's suit is Atlantean tech. Did you watch the movie? If not, consider two things:

Spoiler
Atlantean steel can cut an Atlantean, while terran steel cannot. Manta's arm blade is Atlantean steel, and he even says so.

The Atlantean plasma rifles, which Manta modified for his helmet to fire plasma beams, are extremely dangerous to an Atlantean, and can seriously burn, maim and kill. Arthur didn't really win that battle with Manta in the movie. Manta's suit malfunctioned and that's what took him out of the game.

David Kane's seething hatred is his motivator.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:11 PM

22,923 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
True, but I don't think that's what makes them such great opponents. They are both opponents with clear motivations, neither of whom will ever get what they want, so they are in perpetual enmity.

Batman thinks his primary motivation is to cleanse Gotham of crime. It isn't. His primary motivation is guilt. He is not only haunted by the deaths of the parents but --- and this key, and why Batman will always be a superior hero to Superman --- he blames himself. What Batman really wants is to erase the past. He wants his choices not to have led to his parents' murders. That will never happen. Superman would love it if Krypton had not been destroyed, but he sure doesn't blame himself for the tragedy that made him. Batman does.

The Joker is all about corruption and chaos. He doesn't care about money or power or influence or honor. He wants to corrupt the world so that he can finally convince himself that everyone is just as much a monster as he is. That all comes to a point with Batman. The Joker doesn't want to kill Batman. The Joker wants Batman to kill the Joker. He doesn't want to end Batman's life. He wants to damn Batman's soul. But Batman will never kill --- a key point that the recent filmmakers have completely misunderstood and thus taken away much of what is compelling about the characters. Their Batman is just a rich thug with lots of high-tech weaponry.

Quote:

I thought much the same thing about Killmonger in BLACK PANTHER. As much as I enjoyed the movie, I found the villain rather shallow and uninteresting. The filmmakers went the easy way and gave us little more than a Saturday morning cartoon bad guy. He had the potential to be much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies