Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 10:15 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,942,745 times

Advertisements

Flying cars are a terrible idea. A much better system is a high speed rail system coupled with a robust light rail in the metro area. Flying cars are a fantasy solution to transportation problems they look pretty but thats about it they never will be a serious solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 11:56 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,996,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think flying cars would be easier to control centrally and/or automatically than surface vehicles.
A good chunk of humans out there can't drive a regular car without running into something or someone, do you think they should have the option to fly a vehicle of their own? We can't get drivers to look to the left or right before changing lanes. Do you think they will not look above or below them? No way in H E double-hockey sticks should there be flying cars. People would be dropping out of the sky like rain.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:58 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,942,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
A good chunk of humans out there can't drive a regular car without running into something or someone, do you think they should have the option to fly a vehicle of their own? We can't get drivers to look to the left or right before changing lanes. Do you think they will not look above or below them? No way in H E double-hockey sticks should there be flying cars. People would be dropping out of the sky like rain.
Another valid point giving every average working person a flying car is a recipe for disaster.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:05 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Quote:
They would have to be under control of some sort of autonomous master control system in the cities, then once you get out in the boonies you could have your own control.

When I saw the preview, It didn't occur to me that they would/should cast an Asian in the lead role. ScarJo would probably be able to pull off the physical attributes necessary and has the action cred, but beyond that American studio means it is their discretion to use who they want because it is their money. Nothing is stopping an Asian studio from producing their own effort.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:51 PM

Also, concerning the whole "she should be Japanese", really doesn't come into play. For one, she is a robot and not Japanese. The only thing Japanese about her is her brain. The rest of her is from a factory and who knows what all the other robots look like from the factory (we know of just one other from the movie and he was also a white actor). Were the shells actually made in Japan or a factory elsewhere in the world? I took the film to be that the robot was never meant to be an exact match of what she initially looked like.

Also, here is an interview from the producer and his thought on this.
The Producer Behind the Ghost in the Shell*Movie Finally Responds to the Casting Controversy

Old 04-06-2017, 12:53 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:

I said: "I think flying cars would be easier to control centrally and/or automatically than surface vehicles."

So why is your response about manual operation of flying cars?

Old 04-06-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I said: "I think flying cars would be easier to control centrally and/or automatically than surface vehicles."

So why is your response about manual operation of flying cars?
Because I think there would still need to be an override function within the vehicle. I don't think you could force the vehicle to fly by computer 100% of the time. It is when the vehicle is not being controlled by the computer is where you would run into a whole heap of problems.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:49 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
I don't think you could force the vehicle to fly by computer 100% of the time.
Sure you can.

The situation I actually expect is that such vehicles would not be privately owned but would be rented "on demand." A person would schedule a pickup at a certain time to a certain destination like Uber--except there wouldn't be a driver in the vehicle.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:50 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
And yet, it actually had more than the original anime (which I just watched again last night).

The original anime, watched again, I see is really a thinner plot told less competently than the live-action movie.

For instance, there is no backstory at all to the characters in the original anime. And its fatal flaw--if done faithfully as a live action movie--is the mind-deadening amount of narrative dialog...telling instead of showing.

This live-action movie is just average as it is. If it had been done faithfully to to anime, it would be absolutely dead on arrival. The visuals alone would not have carried anyone to the end.
When the anime 1st came out, it was heralded as an extraordinary work of animation, art, and concept.

Because it was a film not a TV series, the anime visual novel is light on information with tons of presumptions because mature anime at that time was exclusive to otakus and many concepts didn't need. Standalone Complex series was a lot better at story telling, because it's a series not just a film.

For example another anime Macross Plus that came out as both movie and video only series followed the same path. Light on information and straight to the action and presumed all viewers are seasoned anime viewers and no need to go in depth of the character but it was much more well told than Gits. Watching Gits was watching a work of art at the time of inception.

As I predicted it flopped because Hollywood failed the authenticity test.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:28 PM

804 posts, read 546,085 times
Holywood does not respect anything and it will be white washed. Just as with

Aeon Flux
Chung-Lee ( street fighter )
Final Fantasy Spirits within
Dragon ball
Astro boy
new Transformers ( The US military has no tatical advantage against any of these things )
Godzilla 2000 ( The US military has no tatical advantage against any of these things )
Even the original ( my gosh ) Street Fighter movie was white-washed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I have never seen the anime Ghost in the Shell, but now I am quite curious.
GITS is really from a comic called Apple Seed. AS is about a world where humans, mutants, and mechs live in harmony. Another animation important is M-66 and the Dominion Tank Police( original series not the next series ). GITS was first animated via a PSX game which had the DTpolice type animation. Where the major was an extra super bitchy annoying officer similar to Dirty Pair; but more like a real officer. The original animated movie was from when animations was special and this was a special movie.

My opinion is just not to watch the movie until you know that it is not a re-telling or westernized branch of film. Take Alice movies from Disney. They annihilated the Alice series with lame affects and cheapness all around. At least with the new Wizard of Oz the continued the story instead of re-telling it or re-crafting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies