Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 08:41 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Saw it today, visuals were great, but everything else was kind of meh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I saw it today great visuals and soundtrack. Plot was a little thin fairly standard action fair. Overall it was worth the ticket price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmg63 View Post
Visually stunning, but the story was lacking, needed more...
I agree with these reviews. The visuals were stunning and rather innovative, but the story was lacking in content. But I also thought it was worth the ticket price for the visuals.(But at a matinée price. ) Also, I loved the Spider Tank. But I guess I have a thing for giant spiders.

But one thing that I thought was conspicuously incongruent. And that is that with the kind of cybernetic technology that they had in this movie, they had to have existed pretty far in the future. But yet, they still drove automobiles instead of flying cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 08:44 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
But one thing that I thought was conspicuously incongruent. And that is that with the kind of cybernetic technology that they had in this movie, they had to have existed pretty far in the future. But yet, they still drove automobiles instead of flying cars.
Well, look at how far cybernetics has progressed over the last 30 years compared to the automobile.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The original anime, watched again, I see is really a thinner plot told less competently than the live-action movie.
Hulu has it and it's on my 'to watch' list.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Well, look at how far cybernetics has progressed over the last 30 years compared to the automobile.
That's a good point. Also, I occasionally think about 1985's Back To The Future Part 2 and how 2015 was suppose to have flying cars. Plus, with all the inherent problems of having an actual flying car system, I'm just wondering if human beings will ever advance to a flying car traffic system... or if this is just a concept for science fiction movies.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
That's a good point. Also, I occasionally think about 1985's Back To The Future Part 2 and how 2015 was suppose to have flying cars. Plus, with all the inherent problems of having an actual flying car system, I'm just wondering if human beings will ever advance to a flying car traffic system... or if this is just a concept for science fiction movies.
I think flying cars would be easier to control centrally and/or automatically than surface vehicles.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Hulu has it and it's on my 'to watch' list.
The anime is only about 90 minutes, and maybe 15 minutes of that is either narrative dialog--characters standing still talking to one another--or environment exhibition--no action or plot progression, just scenic exposure. A modern Western audience would go bonkers dealing with that in a live action movie.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I think flying cars would be easier to control centrally and/or automatically than surface vehicles.
Actually, I had never thought of that and that could be. However, a while back ago, I had read an article about all the inherent problems with having a flying car system. And unfortunately, I no longer have that article, but I did find an article that had some interesting comments about this topic:

Quote:
Dominique Lavault
Written 22 Sep 2014

When flying car will have become a mass phenomenon, some of these problems will arise :
- humans will likely not be able to figure out the airspace, traffic, obstacles, navigation at the speed they're traveling, so it's probably a full computerized autopilot authenticator that will fly the thing. This will go with hacking problems, software bugs, security problems that already exists with cars.
- air traffic control will be saturated, and the existing system will have to be rethink and reorganized.
- the air rules and regulations will have to be changed to allow so many aircrafts to make their flight, take-offs and landings as safe as possible, and without delays.
- the number of runways, landing spots with explode, so making the coexistence with drones, birds, and other aircraft more difficult to handle.
- Sometimes the weather is even a problem for ground cars. But weather is a more serious threat for small aircrafts. It will be alike for flying cars.

George Gonzalez
Written 14 Sep 2014

Not going to happen. Far too many totally unsolvable economic, engineering, energy, and logistical issues. The trend in transportation is towards quieter, less polluting, less noisy, and more economical, safer, less energy intensive means of transportation, not all the opposites.
https://www.quora.com/What-problems-...ass-phenomenon

Old 04-04-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
The anime is only about 90 minutes, and maybe 15 minutes of that is either narrative dialog--characters standing still talking to one another--or environment exhibition--no action or plot progression, just scenic exposure. A modern Western audience would go bonkers dealing with that in a live action movie.
Hmmm. And you say 90 minutes.... Perhaps I won't waste my time.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. And you say 90 minutes.... Perhaps I won't waste my time.
No, go ahead and see it so you have that comparison to make.

I thought it was wonderful for a number of reasons, but anime is an acquired taste for Westerners, and a truly faithful live action adaptation of the anime would have been a disaster.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
No, go ahead and see it so you have that comparison to make.

I thought it was wonderful for a number of reasons, but anime is an acquired taste for Westerners, and a truly faithful live action adaptation of the anime would have been a disaster.
Sure, I'll watch it... and I'll let you know what I thought of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies