Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2016, 08:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,947,355 times

Advertisements

Here's to one DC movie that don't get the extended cut treatment. Batman V. Superman was bad enough, now Suicide Squad is getting one. Smart marketing WB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 09:42 AM

22,939 posts, read 28,327,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Here's to one DC movie that don't get the extended cut treatment. Batman V. Superman was bad enough, now Suicide Squad is getting one. Smart marketing WB.
I like Director's Cuts if the theatrical release was due to studio or marketing interference. I would much rather see the director's true vision. The final cut of Blade Runner is a better movie. The director's cut of ALIENS is a better movie. The extended editions of The Lord of the Rings films were far better movies. Same with Jackson's KING KONG.

But extended editions that are just marketing ploys? Or "let's monkey with it some more to see if we can make it suck less?" No. When that happens, I always remember Scorsese's answer to why he doesn't do Director's Cuts: "Because I try to get it right the first time."

Old 10-21-2016, 09:49 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,632,717 times
The extended cut of Watchmen is superior to the theatrical version, too. It's an outstanding film that is severely underrated.

Movies are a business. Studios cut down running times to allow for more showings. If an extended cut comes out on DVD, that's a plus, not a minus.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:55 AM

28,694 posts, read 18,846,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I like Director's Cuts if the theatrical release was due to studio or marketing interference. I would much rather see the director's true vision. The final cut of Blade Runner is a better movie.
I thought you and I agreed Scott didn't get that right.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:48 AM

22,939 posts, read 28,327,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I thought you and I agreed Scott didn't get that right.
I don't think Scott understands his own movie. But the theatrical release's "vacation in the country" ending made no sense at all. The Final Cut axing that was warranted.

As for the voiceover everyone hates so much ... I don't really mind it. True, some of it is badly written ("Sushi. Cold fish. Yeah, that's what my wife called me.") And in places it is intrusive and unnecessary (Batty's death). But the style is very much in keeping with the hard-boiled detective film noir movies of the '40s and '50s.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:09 PM

28,694 posts, read 18,846,549 times
Quote:
I don't think Scott understands his own movie. But the theatrical release's "vacation in the country" ending made no sense at all. The Final Cut axing that was warranted.

I'm not sure I saw "the final cut." I saw the "director's cut." There were at least three cuts.

Quote:
As for the voiceover everyone hates so much ... I don't really mind it. True, some of it is badly written ("Sushi. Cold fish. Yeah, that's what my wife called me.") And in places it is intrusive and unnecessary (Batty's death). But the style is very much in keeping with the hard-boiled detective film noir movies of the '40s and '50s.

I agree.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,947,355 times
Quote:
I like Director's Cuts if the theatrical release was due to studio or marketing interference. I would much rather see the director's true vision. The final cut of Blade Runner is a better movie. The director's cut of ALIENS is a better movie. The extended editions of The Lord of the Rings films were far better movies. Same with Jackson's KING KONG.

But extended editions that are just marketing ploys? Or "let's monkey with it some more to see if we can make it suck less?" No. When that happens, I always remember Scorsese's answer to why he doesn't do Director's Cuts: "Because I try to get it right the first time."
I like it if it truly adds to a film like Daredevil or even Batman V. Superman. As I mentioned with Suicide Squad it don't look like they could or should add anything back to it. I hate hearing that a film a movie that a studio put out isn't the "definitive" version of a film. If it happens say a year later or more, I have no real problem with it.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:48 AM

Old 10-23-2016, 03:37 PM

Old 11-03-2016, 11:17 AM

The new [second] trailer for Wonder Woman has dropped. This looks fantastic. Don't miss the nod to Superman (1978)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q8fG0TtVAY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies