Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 12:09 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,627,286 times

Advertisements

[quote=Mark S.;44974009]Me too. Myself, I was severely disappointed in all onscreen versions of the Invisible Woman. She is the First Lady of Marvel. She is the heart of Marvel's oldest team. And she is the most powerful member of the team (a fact even Doctor Doom acknowledged). But in every movie she sits in the passenger seat. But to be fair, none of the FF movies have been very good. The last one was downright bad.[/qote]

The one directed by Trank? Haven't seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That, and she is the original super heroine. She was the first, she has been around for decades, unlike so many other super heroines she isn't simply a "woman" version of a pre-existing super hero, and she has been a feminist icon since at least the '70s. You'd be hard pressed to find a person in the industrialized world who doesn't know who Wonder Woman is.
She's as well-known as Superman and Batman.

Quote:
May be. Although I suspect it's at least partly because Captain Marvel doesn't have the rich history and great storylines that so many of the other characters do. Even Marvel seems confused, since every time I turn around, someone new is Captain Marvel. I'd have to read the Wikipedia page to even figure out who she is these days. I'm assuming it's the blonde woman, since they just cast Brie Larson to play her. But who knows?

Carol Danvers first appeared in '68, but she became Ms. Marvel, with her own comic, in '77. That's just under forty years, and Wonder Woman's been around 36 years longer!

I like Ms. Marvel as a name better than "Captain," but I know we won't see the one-piece with the thigh-high boots and sash (unless they want to compete with Olivia Munn's thighs). We're going to likely see a version of this suit, which honestly, to me, looks a lot more "DC" than "Marvel"! (The dark areas are actually blue.)

Five years after Ms. Marvel #1 in '77, Carol Danvers became Binary in Uncanny X-Men in '82! We probably won't see that storyline.

Btw, here's her original outfit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 12:37 PM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The one directed by Trank? Haven't seen it.
Unless you're a glutton for punishment, I wouldn't bother. It actually isn't half-bad up until the FF get their powers (you know, when the actual plot starts). After that, the entire movie is a colossal train wreck.

I don't know why this is so hard. The FF is the most beloved super hero team in all of comics. Some of the best comics ever written were done in the FF. Being unable to make a good movie out of that ... it's like failing an open book test. You actually have to try to fail. How does this keep happening?

Quote:
She's as well-known as Superman and Batman.
Wonder Woman you mean? Yes, absolutely.

Quote:
I like Ms. Marvel as a name better than "Captain,"
Isn't "Ms" now considered politically incorrect? Honestly, I can't keep track on what the Thought Police have deemed offensive lately. They change their minds so often.

Quote:
We're going to likely see a version of this suit, which honestly, to me, looks a lot more "DC" than "Marvel"! (The dark areas are actually blue.)
Fine by me. Super hero costumes have their roots in the circus. It's well past time we snipped those roots and replanted.

Quote:
Five years after Ms. Marvel #1 in '77, Carol Danvers became Binary in Uncanny X-Men in '82! We probably won't see that storyline.
I am a comic book nerd, and I could not have told you that without looking it up. I can guarantee you that the average movie goer will not know. And that is why Marvel had better make a fantastic movie out of Captain Marvel. They have no built-in audience. They are going to have to build it.

They can do it. I think Iron Man was largely in the same boat ten years ago, and now everyone knows who Iron Man is because Jon Favreau made a great movie.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:16 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,554,472 times
Quote:
There isn't one. Wonder Woman is THE iconic super heroine.

Marvel recently announced they are doing a Captain Marvel movie. But if you tell that to the average movie-goer, I can guarantee you the response is going to be, "Who is Captain Marvel?"
Very much agreed. There are some great heroine's but none of them have the stand alone power of WW.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:43 PM

Does anyone know of they are going to have this WW the ability to fly?

I personally would like to see that.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:25 AM

We don't know. They're being tight-lipped about that.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
We don't know. They're being tight-lipped about that.

Hope they let her fly in this one.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:17 AM

24,434 posts, read 23,098,542 times
When I see a particular movie display of Justice league Batman Vs Superman, I look at the picture of Wonder Woman and say " There's the ONLY reason to see that movie." Hope they don't screw it up like the last few DC movies.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:02 AM

I find it wonderfully ironic that only a few years ago, Wonder Woman was the character the DC just couldn't figure out how to film. Now she is the only thing most people like about the entire DCU movie-verse.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:38 AM

The previous WB CEOs weren't interested in making a big budget Wonder Woman film. They wanted only (more) Batman and Superman films. Supergirl (the movie) sucked, but it was wrong to use that as an excuse to wait so long to revisit Wonder Woman.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Supergirl (the movie) sucked, but it was wrong to use that as an excuse to wait so long to revisit Wonder Woman.
Yup. But that is the way executives think. If movies were pizza it would go something like this.

Report: Last year we put out mouse head and cockroach pizza, and no one bought it.

CEO: See! Proof that no one likes pizza anymore. Cancel all our plans for pizza this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies