Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2017, 10:50 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,640,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And so he consistently portrayed this woman as easily forced into bound submission in nearly every issue. Sometimes bound and having her bottom spanked at the same time. Sometimes bound and gagged.

She was also frequently astride tumescent bombs that everyone knew in context were not "just a cigar."
I love it when you talk dirty to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 10:55 AM

An $11M Thursday. An impressive start!

'Wonder Woman' Set to Lead Post-Memorial Day Weekend Charge - Box Office Mojo

Old 06-02-2017, 11:05 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,582,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Yup yup. Reading the origins of Wonder Woman and her creator, it's more than a little creepy. The guy seemed like a perv.
Marston was involved with the earliest movements for women right's, including issues of voting , birth control, and career equality . With this in mind, it's no surprise that William Marston created Wonder Woman for DC Comics. He felt that women needed a symbol of power in such a changing time in women's rights. He said "Not even girls want to be girls so long as our feminine archetypes lack force, strength and power. Not wanting to be girls, they don't want to be tender, submissive, peace-loving as good women are. Women's strong qualities have become despised because of their weakness. The obvious remedy is to create a feminine character with all the strength of Superman plus all the allure of a good and beautiful woman." Wonder Woman made her first appearance in December 1941.

He also the polygraph machine. Perhaps those in bold type is what offends you.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:48 AM

^Nice quote, Reed! I used it on the previous page. Great minds think alike.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:25 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,386,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Well...I went and watched Wonder Woman last night. 7PM showing.

Short review: MARK? You're gonna LOVE it.

A fine, fine, fine origin film. Gal has been vindicated beyond a shadow of a doubt. And remember that guy Zack? Well, he's responsible for casting Gal. Both have forded the waters of resistance and emerged the victors here. Everyone, everywhere, is praising Gal's performance. It's a much better "fish out of water" movie than Thor, too. And so much more.

The principals are all fantastic. Not a weak link in the bunch! That means Gadot, Pine, Nielsen, Wright, and even Lucy Davis as Etta Candy.

Jenkins has crafted a wonderfully well-rounded film that blends naiveté, transition, jadedness, disillusionment, regret, redemption and sacrifice. In other words: the works.

And the rumors are true: the film DOES have HUMOR. And quite a bit of it. And it's not forced at all.

Spoiler territory:

Spoiler
With regard to some of that humor, this film even tackles the theme of sexual fulfillment. There's an early scene with Gadot and Pine that made the entire theater erupt in laughter. Kudos for Jenkins and Heinberg for tackling material that has yet to surface in a Marvel movie where it isn't treated like a lurid joke. Gadot and Pine have serious chemistry.

And, as you've seen in the trailers, yes, there's a substantial amount of slo-mo. BUT:

Spoiler
While a lot of people have complained about the extended action sequences in MoS and BvS, a sentiment I do not share, the battle scenes in Wonder Woman are shorter, and equally thrilling. Naturally, the final confrontation is a bit longer.

There are two good twists in the movie, one being the "god-killer" reveal.

I also think some of the CGI could have been tweaked.
My sentiments exactly. Nicely put. The humor between WW and Steve is palpable, especially in the first act, and I loved the scene you're referring to. There are just so many great scenes and their chemistry isn't just great for a comic book movie, but for films in general. Well-rounded characters with multiple layers that make them interesting and engaging. I even teared up... more than once.

Last edited by Metaphysique; 06-02-2017 at 12:58 PM..

Old 06-02-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
My sentiments exactly. Nicely put. The humor between WW and Steve is palpable, especially in the first act, and I loved the scene you're referring to. There are just so many great scenes and their chemistry isn't just great for a comic book movie, but for films in general. Well-rounded characters with multiple layers that make them interesting and engaging. I even teared up... more than once.
I concur. The film's an adventure, fantasy and drama before it's a superhero film. Which was perfect for this outing. Next, we'll see Diana in full action mode again in Justice League.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:26 PM

29,775 posts, read 34,512,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It is possible to be both. Marston was.
Well, he probably would have been considered a "pervert" in his day solely for his polyamorous marriage:

Quote:
Marston had a lot of help from his wife, Elizabeth Holloway (we have her to thank for “Suffering Sappho,” “Great Hera,” and other Amazonian expostulations), as well as from his former student Olive Byrne, with whom he and Holloway lived in a permanent ménage à trois that produced four children—two from each woman.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-roots/380788/

Old 06-02-2017, 01:37 PM

One other thing.

Spoiler
Wonder Woman's costume reveal = one of the best EVER.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:26 PM

4,498 posts, read 3,948,932 times
Just got home from seeing WW. Absolutely GREAT and I'm not a huge fan of comic book movies, so I don't know the history of the character like some of you apparently do. But from a pure entertainment perspective, it was a great day at the movies. Of course, I'd pay $ 12.50 to watch Gal Gadot wash dishes for two hours, so there is that.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:27 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times
Just came back. Time well spent. My anticipation was not wasted.

I see everyone is doing a good job not spoiling some significant reveals.

Looking back on it, it seems kind of long, but it went through some big changes from act to act. It had a basic Fifth Element theme as well.

And, yes, Gadot was worth waiting for.

But as I said before, Wonder Woman is the only true A-list female superhero, equivalent in comics stature to Superman, Batman, and Captain America. This was rather a stiff test--it would have sucked if they'd screwed it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies