Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:25 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,654,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Thanks about NCFOM - I see it's just now out on DVD! But I'll finish reading it first. I'm loving it.

I loved the nightmare vignettes in The Road, and kinda teared up at the very end. It'll be a great movie - or rather I hope they won't mess it up Apparently Viggo Mortenson is cast to star as the dad.

Further off-topic: Do you know a book called Riddley Walker, published in 1980? It's a post-apocalypic tale too but not a realistic story as The Road is. If you're familiar with "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome," the concept of the pack of children and their telling "the tell" echo RW.
Riddley Walker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
</off topic>
No, I've never heard of that book. I've never seen "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" but I remember Tina Turner's single from the movie!

Thanks for the recommendation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 11:47 PM

546 posts, read 2,150,572 times
Just rented and I thought it was great. EVERY character was interesting and the acting was superb. Chigurh's character was played really well by the actor. There were so many characters...even the weapons and the Texas countryside were characters IMO.
It was a little far-fetched at times, but you gotta be in order to make a great story and sometimes you need to stop being a stickler.

I gotta read the book and watch it again after I read it.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:20 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,093,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My husband and I saw this picture and both walked out so depressed. I mean, he likes tough guy movies but this one....and best picture...?

Our son,age 18, saw it. Loved it. The Departed was our son's favorite film for the year. Now, that one he saw over and over.
My mom just went to see The Bank Job and called to me it's great and I should see it. She said it has violence, sex, everything. I told her I'm more of a romantic comedy chick flick girl. She said well, remember Snatch? It was kind of like that. I told her yeah, and I didn't like that movie...and one of her fav's, The Departed.

I had to turn it off before it was over because the violence and cussing every other word especially was just too much. It grated on my nerves.

I guess if No Country is like that and your son liked both, I shouldn't go see it.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:07 AM

13,414 posts, read 28,786,594 times
I watched it Saturday night. Thought it was great but wasn't to fond of the ending

Old 03-17-2008, 08:33 AM

546 posts, read 2,150,572 times
Yeah...not if you're a romantic chick flick girl. This movie is more violent than the Departed...

Old 03-19-2008, 02:02 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,268,434 times
wanna know what's wierd is that i live in the area where much of the movie is shot. so when i was watching the movie, i was like - holy ****, i'm from there. i know those mountains. i know that stretch of Highway 67 between Marfa and Presidio. i live in Presidio, btw - until Saturday when i move to Washington, thank God.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:19 PM

76 posts, read 263,017 times
No country for old men teaches one invaluable lesson to all who watch it.

If you should run across a drug deal gone bad, a bunch of money, and some half dead Mexican guy asking for water...

DON'T GO HELP PACO!!!!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:23 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,218,146 times
I just saw the movie after reading the book and I wish to lodge a complaint. Why on earth did the Coens change Llewelyn's wife from a smart, tough cookie to a little sweet dishrag? Having her be bewildered from start to finish, and editing down the dialogue between her and Chigurh, made her meaningless. In the book, that girl's scene with the sheriff in the diner was really moving. She was like a younger version of the sheriff's wife. And that wife in the movie was all wrong, too! She was supposed to be deeply strong, not sunshiny and "supportive."
Just my opinion :huff huff:

Old 03-28-2008, 10:45 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,654,083 times
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I just saw the movie after reading the book and I wish to lodge a complaint. Why on earth did the Coens change Llewelyn's wife from a smart, tough cookie to a little sweet dishrag? Having her be bewildered from start to finish, and editing down the dialogue between her and Chigurh, made her meaningless. In the book, that girl's scene with the sheriff in the diner was really moving. She was like a younger version of the sheriff's wife. And that wife in the movie was all wrong, too! She was supposed to be deeply strong, not sunshiny and "supportive."
Just my opinion :huff huff:
Excellent obeservation. I didn't realize that until you pointed it out, but you're totally right. Her role was certainly diminished in the movie, and it should not have been.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:58 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,015,910 times
I was actually disappointed with the movie. I watched it about a week ago after hearing all the hype. It wasnt a bad movie but I dont think it was as good as everyone made it sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies