Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:48 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,579,938 times

Advertisements

It didnt really hold my interest. I turned it off after a while..seemed too slow. But that one scene did it for me, I was not expecting that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 01:45 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,461,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

This is another one of those movies that you have to see again and yet again, then the pieces fall more perfectly into place.
I guess maybe so, but that will never convince me that this movie is Oscar winning caliber. Am I the only one sick of seeing over the top violence & gore being teated like it's some kind of masterful innovation? And the plot.......guy stumbles upon money, guy gets chased by other guy who wants money, everyone gets shot up.......c'mon man, best picture?

Old 03-02-2008, 01:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,056,547 times
Well, not all of their movies are gorefests, but the Coen Brothers aren't exactly known for feel-good stuff, ya know?
I agree that there has been plenty of cinematic violence the past couple years, but I thought that No Country was indeed a well-told story, superbly acted.
Maybe next year we'll have another Shakespeare in Love type movie win the Oscar, who knows.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,259,738 times
Smile No Country

My husband and I saw this picture and both walked out so depressed. I mean, he likes tough guy movies but this one....and best picture...?

Our son,age 18, saw it. Loved it. The Departed was our son's favorite film for the year. Now, that one he saw over and over.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:22 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,461,056 times
"The Departed" had a great storyline at least. It was a very captivating script. "No Country" didn't do that for me at all, and I must say that even though I'm a huge Tommy Lee Jones fan, his role did not impress me either. I will say that the Chigurh character was done very well, however. That was about the only thing I took away from this flick.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:27 PM

552 posts, read 1,074,409 times
The Departed was an '06 film, but I digress.

There is so much more to this movie than action scenes, if you can't see that you really have no place judging it (or operating heavy machinery, performing simple arithmetic, breathing, etc).

Old 03-02-2008, 06:55 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,628,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I actually appreciated the movie quite a bit, and I think the right movie was chosen for the award.

Some viewers might not have realized who the real protagonist of the movie was--it was not Josh Brolin's Moss, it was Tommy Lee Jones' Bell.
If you think about the title of the movie, it's all there--and the ending not only makes sense, but could not have been better.

This is another one of those movies that you have to see again and yet again, then the pieces fall more perfectly into place.
Wow, excellent summation.I was mesmerized at the movie, my hubby fell asleep during what he called one of Tommys Lees monologues. I dont like violence, but I was so squirming in my seat(the gas station attendent in particular) and Woody Harrelson epitomized sheer fear (yet cool) at their encounter.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:06 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,769,133 times
And don't forget that The Departed (which won last year, '07, Crash won in '06 ... hated that movie like snot) is a remake of Infernal Affairs, a Hong Kong film from 2002.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,056,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My husband and I saw this picture and both walked out so depressed. I mean, he likes tough guy movies but this one....and best picture...?

Our son,age 18, saw it. Loved it. The Departed was our son's favorite film for the year. Now, that one he saw over and over.
heh
My 18 year old son loved The Departed, too. The older son (24) just thought it was okay.
Me, I was disappointed in it (I both hated as well as predicted the ending) and do not consider it Scorsese's best work, but of course he was overdue for an Oscar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I dont like violence, but I was so squirming in my seat(the gas station attendent in particular) and Woody Harrelson epitomized sheer fear (yet cool) at their encounter.
Yes. Woody made the most of his brief showing in the movie.
I hunkered down in my seat every time Bardem showed up, and the acting by all was controlled yet powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
And don't forget that The Departed (which won last year, '07, Crash won in '06 ... hated that movie like snot) is a remake of Infernal Affairs, a Hong Kong film from 2002.
Yes.
No matter what the origin, I don't have a big problem with the fact that The Departed is a remake, because each director brings his or her own style to a movie.
However, the Coen Brothers usually tend to try something new, and I appreciate their efforts. I thought they were a good match for Cormac McCarthy's book.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:02 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,769,133 times
Don't get me wrong, I loved The Departed, especially since it closed the door on that piece of crap from the year earlier. Scorcese deserved everything he got for that film.

I loved it when Joel Coen said that they are incredibly picky because they have only adapted Homer and Cormac McCarthy ... brilliant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies