Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:29 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
I think Sony cancelled the release because they had some really bad emails the hackers were going to release next. The juicy stuff, like who's having sex with who, etc. LOL
WRONG. The juicy e-mails were already out with the Spiderman crap, the "racist e-mails," and the Steve Jobs movie drama. At least that's me due to the movie fan side of me. The reason the movie was canceled was that most of the theaters in America declined to show it once Sony allowed theaters to opt out of showing it. Sony didn't want to put theaters that didn't comment like Harkins Theaters and UltraStar Cinemas, and those who wanted to show it like Alamo Drafthouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 11:37 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
WRONG. The juicy e-mails were already out with the Spiderman crap, the "racist e-mails," and the Steve Jobs movie drama. At least that's me due to the movie fan side of me. The reason the movie was canceled was that most of the theaters in America declined to show it once Sony allowed theaters to opt out of showing it. Sony didn't want to put theaters that didn't comment like Harkins Theaters and UltraStar Cinemas, and those who wanted to show it like Alamo Drafthouse.
Really? I guess they discuss the really, really juicy gossip via text on their phones, then.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:50 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I am hearing from some of the news media on air lawyers that with a total embargo Sony may get insurance money for the fiasco. If they released the movie in any form that would be in jeopardy.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I am hearing from some of the news media on air lawyers that with a total embargo Sony may get insurance money for the fiasco. If they released the movie in any form that would be in jeopardy.
That's possible, I wouldn't rule that out.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:19 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times
In my opinion, since Sony has their own channel on Dish, Directv and several cable systems, release the movie for free every night until New Year's with a statement "we won't be terrorized". Of course that will never happen, but it's a thought.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:43 PM

863 posts, read 1,129,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Because every report about this says it isn't for one.

More to the point I still fly on airplanes and go in skyscrapers even though people who've actually committed terrorists acts in the past are stil targetting them. You can live your life in fear if you want to. Why force the rest of us to cower alongside you though?
...meanwhile, one punk kid was able to take out and injure a group of people in a Colorado theater a couple of years ago. My point? Specific threats such as this should be taken seriously. Although there was no prior warning in that case, it proved how easily one person was able to do a whole lot of damage. Who's to say that couldn't happen again despite what's said in "reports"?

Also, it's easy to call someone a pansy (online of all places) when you're not the one targeted. Somehow, I don't think you'd be singing the same tune if you or your family were the targets.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:06 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,294 times
Most current report regarding Sony and The Interview from CNN. Seems like the theater owners backed
Sony to make the decision and interesting that George Clooney tried to get those in the industry to
sign a petition and no one would.

Clooney slams Hollywood's cowardice - CNN.com Video

Old 12-19-2014, 08:41 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Most current report regarding Sony and The Interview from CNN. Seems like the theater owners backed
Sony to make the decision and interesting that George Clooney tried to get those in the industry to
sign a petition and no one would.

Clooney slams Hollywood's cowardice - CNN.com Video

That simply further proves the OP's assertion that SONY honchos are COWARDS. They needed a bunch of signatures to determine how they'd proceed. Since when? Studios regularly make these decisions with respect to releasing, pulling, delaying, sending straight to DVD, etc.. That's nothing new, and they don't hide behind a passel of stars' signatures.

And I'm not letting Clooney off the hook, either, or giving him kudos for speaking out (as I did for others) because he's carrying SONY's water. In addition, the big hypocrite proceeded to blast the news media for publishing details of this imbroglio.

Give me a break, George.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That simply further proves the OP's assertion that SONY honchos are COWARDS. They needed a bunch of signatures to determine how they'd proceed. Since when? Studios regularly make these decisions with respect to releasing, pulling, delaying, sending straight to DVD, etc.. That's nothing new, and they don't hide behind a passel of stars' signatures.

And I'm not letting Clooney off the hook, either, or giving him kudos for speaking out (as I did for others) because he's carrying SONY's water. In addition, the big hypocrite proceeded to blast the news media for publishing details of this imbroglio.

Give me a break, George.
That is because EVERY movie studio does the same. To not think that is naive. Warner Brothers has gone through about 10 undone Batman and Superman projects that were never done. One (Superman Lives) was even minutes from being filmed before it was canceled. Other were in various degrees of pre-production or proposal (similar to the numerous Spider-man ideas tossed around.) We also saw fights about other projects which definitely happened with even the Walt Disney Company at times. NOTE: I am not condoing the borderline racist e-mails, the comments about Angelina Jolie and all the silly ideas for Spider-Man movies BUT every movie studio has done that. The only difference is we now know that it happened in Sony.

Also I doubt other companies wouldn't have caved. Disney wouldn't have even done this movie since stopping their Miramax and Dimension brands but IF they had done a movie through those brands, they would have pulled it. I am sure Universal would have done the exact same thing as would Fox, Paramount and Warner the three other major studios. It's not necessarily cowering in fear, it's fear of being responsible should a terrorist attack happen, especially with a threat of that magnitude.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:38 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,294 times
The hackers are not only black mailing Sony but threatening the company and all involved too. According
to Sony's CEO, they wanted to release, they still want to release it, they were unable to release it
because movie theaters, many under pressure from shopping centers and neighborhoods would not
show it.
This information was released late last night by CNN. No movie studio has stood up for Sony.
There should be more information and reports about this today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies