Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:36 AM

23,653 posts, read 70,660,389 times

Advertisements

It is kinda funny. A corporation that began in Japan makes a comedy about North Korea, gets hacked, and a company owned by the Chinese refuse to show it, and right-wingers in the U.S. get upset.

I might remind people that prior to the U.S. entering the war against Germany, all films released in the U.S. were vetted by a Hollywood representative of the NAZI regime, and negative references removed. Hollywood is about making money. Anything that is a threat to that is avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 10:41 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,075,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I wasn't going to see it but as another poster noted, now I'm kind of interested.
AMC is owned by billionaire Wang Jianlin (Dalian Wanda Group) link
China

China's relation to North Korea (picture not showing the 2 leaders at the top of the article).
The China-North Korea Relationship - Council on Foreign Relations

interesting, coincidence or something else?
What's the something else? That AMC, along with many other theater decided not to show a movie after threats were made. Regal and Cinemark were also theaters that decided against showing The Interview, and both are American companies.

Now if AMC had said all along they wouldn't show the movie, even before the Sony hacks, then maybe you would have something. But thats not what happened.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:47 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,988,518 times
AMC wasn't even the first chain to pull the movie. Carmike Cinemas was the first and up until midday yesterday, the only to do so. AMC pulled them I think midday/afternoon while Carmike did it as soon as Sony said you can opt out.

AMC and Regal did it once the snowball became an avalanche as most of the trades in America announced they weren't showing The Interview that point.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:51 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,355,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
So, it will be released On Demand quickly for those who cannot live without seeing it. But if you were a theater owner, and the theater was bombed during a showing of The Interview after threats were made, you would be facing massive litigation.

That's what I was going to say^^^^

LIABILITY is the reason and issue.

Last edited by picklejuice; 12-18-2014 at 11:41 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
As we learned in Colorado in 2012, one person with appropriate weapons can kill a lot of people in a movie theater very quickly. North Korea does not need 'lots' of dedicated agents in the United States. One will suffice.
The problem with this logic is something that is on my a Facebook page I frequent with movie fans. Despite me going to see The Dark Knight Rises after the shooting, there was no bag check or anything at my local cinema. Either that showing or the next time I went to the movies in November, the theater had the escape plans. AMC still does this, I believe Harkins (a local chain) does too but my nearest theater (the one I saw Dark Knight and Wreck It in) don't after a buyout. You world have thought that after Aurora, we would have bag checks and scanners at theaters, but we don't. Hockey games aren't that high on terror watch lists for attacks unlike other sports but they have metal scanners. NFL is and has wands and/or patdowns. Even amusement parks BEFORE 9/11 had scanners (I'll admit it, now more do.) If they have it, why can't movie theaters?

Old 12-18-2014, 11:01 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,248,210 times
AMC is the second largest movie theater company in the US. This symbol is exactly what it
looks like - to think about it. Before Sony made the decision AMC and the others made a decision
to cancel the film. NY Times report:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/bu...w-threats.html

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 12-18-2014 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 12-18-2014, 11:38 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,633,207 times
Quote:
One must put oneself in the shoes of Sony: they have a movie coming out
concerning the killing of the actual, alive leader of another country, that also
holds said leader up to ridicule.
You know I'm just wondering if Sony did any research before releasing the movie. You know getting vibes from the audience on the film itself, subject matter, story etc etc. Movie houses do that stuff to make sure the bucks aren't spent wantonly....;-)... Would be interesting if they showed it to NK 'test' audience and get reactions..But something tells that's a non-event...;-)...

Old 12-18-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know I'm just wondering if Sony did any research before releasing the movie. You know getting vibes from the audience on the film itself, subject matter, story etc etc. Movie houses do that stuff to make sure the bucks aren't spent wantonly....;-)... Would be interesting if they showed it to NK 'test' audience and get reactions..But something tells that's a non-event...;-)...
NK isn't even in the movie release board. It's not like China who is an emerging market for entertainment. NK is fairly isolationist to retain their power and authoritarian control.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:56 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,698,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
So when someone tells you they're going to punch you, you're a coward if you don't stand firm and take it on the chin?

Silly me, I consider it smarter to move and avoid getting hit.
It wouldn't be smarter. Because you'd be labeled a coward and soon paying to keep from getting hit in the mouth. You pacifist seem to think that if you just cower to someone, that they'll move on after they get their way. After they get their way, they'll feel free to shake you down for anything they want. And why wouldn't they? I would. Because you're an easy mark who's shown he has no spine and won't stand up for himself.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:03 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,295,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
It wouldn't be smarter. Because you'd be labeled a coward and soon paying to keep from getting hit in the mouth. You pacifist seem to think that if you just cower to someone, that they'll move on after they get their way. After they get their way, they'll feel free to shake you down for anything they want. And why wouldn't they? I would. Because you're an easy mark who's shown he has no spine and won't stand up for himself.
Who said anything about me being a pacifist? I just don't buy this macho "take it on the chin" bull****. If Sony is cowering, it's only because they pulled the first punch and didn't have the chops to back it up. This is not about the US cowering. Sony is not the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies