Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 07:23 PM

29,531 posts, read 22,762,892 times

Advertisements

Just saw this today and really liked it.

The movie was longish, but it absolutely held my attention for the whole time, keeping me on the edge with its twists and turns.

Apparently, the movie was pretty close to the book in terms of adaptation.

I was initially disappointed in the ending, because

Spoiler
it seemed so 'abrupt' to me. Very jarring. I'm so used to typical Hollywood endings of resolution and finality, not ones open to interpretation. But in looking back and reading more about the movie and book, apparently the ending is as is, he is forced to be with this woman he no longer wants to be with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 07:36 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,483,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Just saw this today and really liked it.

The movie was longish, but it absolutely held my attention for the whole time, keeping me on the edge with its twists and turns.

Apparently, the movie was pretty close to the book in terms of adaptation.

I was initially disappointed in the ending, because

Spoiler
it seemed so 'abrupt' to me. Very jarring. I'm so used to typical Hollywood endings of resolution and finality, not ones open to interpretation. But in looking back and reading more about the movie and book, apparently the ending is as is, he is forced to be with this woman he no longer wants to be with.

After I was through chuckling and I had a minute to think on the ending as I sat in my seat, my thought was, how very fitting the ending was considering the people involved.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:52 AM

7,006 posts, read 7,005,305 times
For an R-rated movie I thought the sex and nudity was quite tame, except for one explicitly violent scene that disturbed me.

Besides that, it's nice to see that Hollywood has evolved to include both male nudity and cunnilingus without slapping it with an NC-17 or X rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Never read the book, so not sure if this was supposed to be a dramedy, but it towards the end, I couldn't contain my laughter nor could many in the audience. There was the cautionary seen that was quite spin tingling in not a good way, but for the most part, I found the acting all around amusing, so I do hope this wasn't meant to be a serious drama. My movie companions gave it a big thumbs up. Speaking of wood, yeah, I would relate that to Ben's acting in this one for sure. It was kind of a fun watch, but, from a comedic stand point though.
We saw this movie at the afternoon matinee thinking nobody would be there. We were wrong. The place was packed. I've never been in a packed matinee before.

Our audience laughed at the dark humor throughout the movie too. I'm glad, because I know David Fincher's black humor can be lost on the wrong kind of audience. I also know many people hate his ambiguous endings which this movie has.

Never read the book. Loved the movie. The second-act twist was something we didn't see coming. And throughout the movie we were constantly teased with the possibility of more twists. It challenged our presumptions and kept us guessing. It was 2 1/2 hours long but didn't feel like it. The pacing was very good.

Spoiler!

The part my audience laughed at the most was when
Spoiler
Amy Dunne returns home covered in blood and as the media are filming and clicking photos of them Affleck's character whispers in her ear, "You f***ing b**ch", before she collapses in his arms, for the ultimate photo-op.
Really good scene. The movie was full of good scenes like this one.

For animal lovers, there's a cat in this movie that plays an interesting role.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:57 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,786,222 times
The ending everyone hates, which makes for a great film IMO! Keeps you talking and thinking.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
After I was through chuckling and I had a minute to think on the ending as I sat in my seat, my thought was, how very fitting the ending was considering the people involved.
Good point, fitting ending for those involved.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:12 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,447,890 times
For the Deadwood question was that English? Couldn't find info but, I got this: Regarding the detective in Gone Girl...

Joanie Stubbs (Kim Dickens) is Cy Tolliver's former madam at the Bella Union. Joanie, unlike Trixie, acts only as the hostess, and not as a prostitute herself. Although she is a lesbian, Stubbs has a long relationship with Cy and is one of the few people Cy cares for, though his increasingly unpredictable and violent behaviour sours their friendship. Often depressed and self-loathing, she was apparently bought by Cy from her own father, who had abused and pimped her and her younger sisters as prostitutes. Joanie also reveals that her father used her to coerce her sisters to sleep with him—to "see to his needs since mama was gone." As a result, the emotionally scarred Joanie is weighed down by guilt.

Ah, the Deadwood memories...loved that series!

Old 10-12-2014, 06:20 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,690,323 times
Saw it last night and I recommend it, just liked for the ending to be different. All I will say. Go out and see it!

Old 10-12-2014, 06:25 PM

Oh and Rosamund Pike was hot and bad ass in the role, great actress who should get awarded and more roles.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Oh and Rosamund Pike was hot and bad ass in the role, great actress who should get awarded and more roles.
She was really great.

I've seen her in movies before and I always thought, this is a really attractive woman in that classy, elegant sort of way, why isn't she more famous (when she starred in "Doom" back in 2005).

Then I saw her in "Jack Reacher" and I was like, cool, maybe she's starting to get noticed in America (again).

Old 10-13-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
She was really great.

I've seen her in movies before and I always thought, this is a really attractive woman in that classy, elegant sort of way, why isn't she more famous (when she starred in "Doom" back in 2005).

Then I saw her in "Jack Reacher" and I was like, cool, maybe she's starting to get noticed in America (again).
I totally agree with your sentiments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies